Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF on the last game of the season Boro and us are both three points clear of Burnley...

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Just brick up both goals. Job done.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
There's a world of difference between a manufactured / agreed draw (see Germany v Austria, 1982, for further details) and both sides each playing for a draw. If both sides just set up their teams 4-5-1 and refuse to commit players forward all game, a 0-0 is almost nailed on.

But we have Lewis 'The Reckless LUNGE' Dunk to throw a spanner in the works.

Possibly

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainly won't happen with Stockdale's fiercely struck distribution out to the side, that evade most of our players most of the time. We'd be conceding a throw in our own half within minutes :lol:
Chris will tell the back 4 not to pass to Stockdale. He will never touch the ball.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If someone offered me we needed to go to Boro and win for promition now I would happily take it
Can we have it so that
a) They're already crowned Champions
and
b) Burnley have kicked the shit out of them in their match, and Dyche has said their the worst Champions ever

please

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
both teams would still be playing for the championship as i see it, so would be a bit competitive, and at home they'd be under a lot of pressure to see it through. both teams would set out to nick an early goal and the first to score would sit back. either they'd see it through or the other side nick a goal back then both teams sit back realising it not worth it, we're going up and let them have the glory of a championship at home.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
both teams would still be playing for the championship as i see it, so would be a bit competitive, and at home they'd be under a lot of pressure to see it through
Nope, they're ahead of us on GD and they can be Champions as long as they don't kick the ball into our half.
both teams would set out to nick an early goal and the first to score would sit back. either they'd see it through or the other side nick a goal back then both teams sit back realising it not worth it
You're basically just a little behind the curve. Both teams will realise it's not worth it before kick-off, so they'll do as you've said, but they'll do it from 0-0, not 1-1.

Both sets of managers and players will be briefed on the plan a few days before the game.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I would love it, if anything to see the look on the burnley fans' faces as they win their final game only to realise that up the road a 0-0 has been played out to a chorus of 'we're both going up, we're both going up, **** off burnley, we're both going up'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It probably won't happen but my gut feeling is that if it did, the first 70 minutes would be two teams cautiously trying to win the game, if it was still level on 70 minutes the final 20 minutes would just be passing it around the back to general applause from both sets of fans.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
@Papa Lazarou and I were talking about this last night.

I just don't see how a game with such a high-profile in 2016 could be a manufactured draw.

kick about in the centre circle with 5-aside goals :lolol:

Southampton and Spurs managed it all those years ago and apart from Funnel hitting the post it was apparently a very drab game

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But we have Lewis 'The Reckless LUNGE' Dunk to throw a spanner in the works.

Possibly

If they don't commit any numbers forward, then that spanner is going to be thrown somewhere near the half-way line.

At ease.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
kick about in the centre circle with 5-aside goals :lolol:

Southampton and Spurs managed it all those years ago and apart from Funnel hitting the post it was apparently a very drab game

I guess Bozza's point though is that back then the game wasn't televised and no on other than Brighton fans were really bothered. Now promotion to the Premiership is so financially rewarding and the match would be televised live therefore interest and scrutiny is so much more.

That said I really don't see what the FA/Football League could do if neither team chose to attack.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess Bozza's point though is that back then the game wasn't televised and no on other than Brighton fans were really bothered. Now promotion to the Premiership is so financially rewarding and the match would be televised live therefore interest and scrutiny is so much more.

That said I really don't see what the FA/Football League could do if neither team chose to attack.

The thing is we would 'attack'. It's just that we'd only commit TWO players to the attack, with two rigid banks of four still securely in position. The two players could run at them, but without support / options would inevitably lose possession - at which point TWO of their players can try to take on our eight defenders. Repeat for 90 minutes. Job done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here