Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy Dave

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Out of principle, he shouldn't.
There are rules in the House of Commons. You seem to think the tories are always rude and get away with it, but both sides of the house do the same thing. Skinner could have made his point by saying that he believes the PMs actions are disgraceful etc, he doesn't need to resort to name calling just because he disagrees with the PM.

It appeared as though he was passionate and frustrated at the current state and dodgy dealings of the people in charge of his (and our) country and refused to back down. And rightly so.
Nonsense. What is dodgy about him paying off his mortgage? What has he actually done wrong? And Skinner is quite able to make his points, the only thing he's not supposed to do is resort to name calling. It's not difficult. He wasn't asked to back down on his principles or his opinion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A bit of naughty alliteration shouldn't warrant expulsion from the house. They can give it but won't take it.

Out of principle, he shouldn't.

Did it?
It appeared as though he was passionate and frustrated at the current state and dodgy dealings of the people in charge of his (and our) country and refused to back down. And rightly so.

We don't know that he got what he wanted.
What did he want? ???

See posts #7 & #17 r.e my complaints.

Have to disagree with you. He made the point with the original comment relating to quite a serious question about CMD paying off his own mortgage before that of the property that is being supported by tax payers. Probably perfectly legally but not morally. He was told to rephrase the question without the adjective and if he didn't, CMD wouldn't have to answer. He wasn't even asked to apologise for the remark, just rephrase the question. Had he done so we would have heard what CMD had to say on the subject.

I'm intrigued as to what principle you think he shouldn't have rephrased the question. He's there to challenge the government on behalf of his constituents. He can't do that when he is outside the chamber!!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Dennis Skinner is only articulating what the electorate are thinking anyway. Good for him.

Anyway, isn't it time for 'HoliDave' to disappear off for another break. It's nearly three weeks since our Part-Time Prime Minister went on one. He must be getting itchy trotters...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nonsense. What is dodgy about him paying off his mortgage? What has he actually done wrong? And Skinner is quite able to make his points, the only thing he's not supposed to do is resort to name calling. It's not difficult. He wasn't asked to back down on his principles or his opinion.

What is questionable are the morals of paying off one mortgage as opposed to the one the taxpayer is funding? Raises a couple of questions. Should MPs be means tested before they get a state handout for second homes, the same way a lot of people are means tested for a number of benefits? Alternatively, should the country have a charge on properties paid for by the tax payer so the when the property is sold the money goes back to the treasury?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What is questionable are the morals of paying off one mortgage as opposed to the one the taxpayer is funding? Raises a couple of questions. Should MPs be means tested before they get a state handout for second homes, the same way a lot of people are means tested for a number of benefits? Alternatively, should the country have a charge on properties paid for by the tax payer so the when the property is sold the money goes back to the treasury?
This applies to all MPs right? Labour have been in power and could have changed the rules. Did they?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tedious-and-rude/?cid=sf24139094&sf24139094=1

Seems about right.

"...there are good things about Mr Skinner and he brings things to Parliament that few other members do. But the crude, aggressive and essentially unfunny abuse just demeans a man capable of truly powerful speaking. Don't encourage him. "
Not sure that quoting The Torygraph adds much to this debate.

Skinner on his chosen approach: “I stick to my principles. I know no other way in politics. I make mistakes, everybody does. Nobody is perfect. I have no monopoly on the best way of being an MP. I try not to let anybody down. I’ve sailed close to the wind in my life but always for the good of the cause, to champion those at the bottom of the pile who deserve better.”

and evidence of his considerable wit...

Skinner: “Half the Tory members opposite are crooks”
House of Commons Speaker: “The honourable member MUST withdraw that remark”
Skinner: “OK, half the Tories are not crooks”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Alternatively, should the country have a charge on properties paid for by the tax payer so the when the property is sold the money goes back to the treasury?
absolutly yes, but you dont see any MPs calling for that as they do rather nicely out of the current arrangement, especially those from provisional seats.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This applies to all MPs right? Labour have been in power and could have changed the rules. Did they?

Where did I say it didn't? Why are you trying to paint it as an attack on Tories when it wasn't. It is like the expense scandal where they were all at it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where did I say it didn't? Why are you trying to paint it as an attack on Tories when it wasn't.
Skinner was aiming it at the PM, and posts in this thread are aiming it at the tories, even if you weren't.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Dennis Skinner is only articulating what the electorate are thinking anyway. Good for him.

Anyway, isn't it time for 'HoliDave' to disappear off for another break. It's nearly three weeks since our Part-Time Prime Minister went on one. He must be getting itchy trotters...

No he isn't, he is only speaking for those that share the same view, not all the electorate.

What is your point about being on holiday, given that the House was in recess. I'm sure that many MPs took the opportunity to have a short break, but you don't mention them.

You might as well have send, when are teachers going on holiday its only a few days since they had 2 weeks off

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Christ is that all it takes to get sent out of the house these days?

I don't remember Cameron getting chucked for any of these:

What a lovely, lovely man.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
All this outrage and indignation being thrown the PM's way is getting pretty predictable and boring now; however, I suppose we'll have to get used to all the huffing and puffing from the lefties,because they really haven't got anything else to look forward to whilst Corbyn and co. continue to make the Labour party unelectable.
Class hatred and politics of envy have certainly made a comeback lately.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Class hatred and politics of envy have certainly made a comeback lately.
Nothing to do with class hatred. I've got no problem with old Tory toffs who bumble along or even the current wealthy elite who believe they earn their money and that they are entitled to look after their own.

It is the policies pursued by this government that inspire hatred and the slimy nature of the individuals involved. Cameron will (like his modern day predecessors) ultimately make many millions out of having been Prime Minister. He should have had the decency and sense to stick to a very strict personal line on expenses and tax avoidance. He could learn a lot from Dennis Skinner and Jeremy Corbyn.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Politics really does attract the biggest ***** doesn't it. Cameron and his chums sitting there with their smug smiles like they're sitting in the Eaton dining hall and sniggering at the cleaner who has asked them to lift their feet so he can mop the floor.

Imagine the uproar if the PM stood there jabbing his finger, hurling insults with a hateful expression at Skinner. The Loons would crazy. More Crazy!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dodgy Dave, excellent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'm not to concerned with anyone's tax affairs because they are all at it...11,500 were in the Panama papers,including world leaders,sports and film stars.
What I did find infuriating was the Government spending £9.3m on propaganda leaflets...wasted money that could have gone to the NHS. We already knew the governments position and don't need reminding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here