Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's looking forward to the playoffs?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
we enter the lottlery of the play-offs with more or less a fit squad and knowing that we have as good, if not better, opportunity than the other 3 sides.

Rollercoaster journey, bring it on.

I was thinking this last night actually the play off "lottery". I really think going into the playoffs which I think we will now, we'd have a real chance, not a 1 in 4 lottery chance, I would actually expect to win it

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was thinking this last night actually the play off "lottery". I really think going into the playoffs which I think we will now, we'd have a real chance, not a 1 in 4 lottery chance, I would actually expect to win it

The play off's are and always will be a lottery.......that said in half agreement with you i too have an expectation and that is to make a real go of it and not capitulate like the last two times...i do agree we have a real chance...

I really hope and pray if it comes to it,that your belief proves me wrong in only half agreeing... :lol:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sorry, how are they a 'lottery' exactly?

Luck plays a big part, a deflection here, an offside there.

Also, Derby battered QPR a few seasons ago, BZ nicked a goal against the run of play and the rest is history.

That element is a lottery, the best side does not always succeed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry, how are they a 'lottery' exactly?

If every team that finished 3rd went up through them then they would not be.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Also, Derby battered QPR a few seasons ago, BZ nicked a goal against the run of play and the rest is history.

The play-offs are the exact opposite of a lottery - they're a test of nerve, skill and stamina.

To take your QPR/Derby example: QPR's game plan was sound. They defended well (an important part of football) against an attacking team and Derby didn't have the ability to score. Then when QPR had a chance they took it. Where's the 'luck' in any of that? It's just football. To paraphrase Gary Player: "The more they practised the luckier they got!"

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
To take your QPR/Derby example: QPR's game plan was sound. They defended well (an important part of football) against an attacking team and Derby didn't have the ability to score. Then when QPR had a chance they took it. Where's the 'luck' in any of that? It's just football. To paraphrase Gary Player: "The more they practised the luckier they got!"

The play-offs are the exact opposite of a lottery - they're a test of nerve, skill and stamina.

OK then :thumbsup:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Play offs are fun but not if you are involved in them. A very stressful time and dare I say expensive particulalry if you get as far as the final. What am I saying - a win tomorrow and automatic is still in sight.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I genuinely think we are going up via the play-offs this year. Hughton's side is made for it. They can grind out results when the pressure is on. Gus and Oscar were great, but they weren't made for the pressure of the play-offs, Hughton is. Obviously it would be better to go up automatically, but I don't think we'll be able to catch the top two, unless Burnley have a wobble very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Whatever our chances (I think about 34.735% rather than 25%) in the play-offs I think we actually have a similar chance of going up automatically so let's focus on that until it's done with shall we

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Always hated the play offs, Worst idea ever conceived. Just money spinning tosh.
You play the whole season and if you finish in 3rd you get promoted because you deserved to be there.

Now a 3rd place team could conceivably lose out on promotion because of one game, wherby a stupid controversial decision by a ref could lose you everything.
It's all done to create more TV revenue and attention.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Yes i will accept most of that but if that was truly the case the best teams over the season would always go up..2 automatically and the 3rd place team..

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I still haven't got over the heartbreak of the Play-offs from two/three seasons ago. I don't think I could handle the tension again. If the team is reading this thread I would like to kindly beg them to please still try and push hard for automatic promotion.

Better question would be not "Who's Looking Forward to the Playoffs?" but rather "Who's looking forward to the Premier League?"

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Obviously it would be better to go up automatically, but I don't think we'll be able to catch the top two, unless Burnley have a wobble very soon.

Burnley have been wobbling like f**k it's just nobody's knocked them over yet.

Luck doesn't just play a part in the playoffs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Same as the league games then. Of course there are a lot of league games, so over the course of a season a team needs more than luck to be at the top, but luck is still involved.

I disagree with the premise that the table never lies.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really think we are very much in the hunt for one of the two automatic spots the next four games we can win

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Always hated the play offs, Worst idea ever conceived. Just money spinning tosh.
You play the whole season and if you finish in 3rd you get promoted because you deserved to be there.

Now a 3rd place team could conceivably lose out on promotion because of one game, wherby a stupid controversial decision by a ref could lose you everything.
It's all done to create more TV revenue and attention.

The play-offs were introduced in the late 80s well before TV had that sort of influence. It was done because, frankly, for the vast majority of sides the season became utterly dull from about Feb/March onwards. Far too many meaningless matches - it is meant to be entertainment after all. They may not be 'fair' but it's a vast improvement on what existed before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here