Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many teeth have you got left?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not that many real teeth left. I am missing about six molars which if capped at one time couldn't be capped a second time. I lay the blame for this tooth carnage at the door of Dentists and fifties dentistry.
To compare with any person under forty to fifty is unfair as only those generations and younger have the benefits of Fluoride and better dental techniques and materials.
My Sister and I looked after our teeth with the knowledge and facilities available at the time. We have both lost a similar amount of teeth due to the giant undercuts to contain the amalgam that was the only filling material at the time.
The effect of Fluoride is dramatic, my sisters two forty year old girls and my twenty year old boy have no fillings and have lost no teeth at all.
This, with knobs on. Lot of self-satisfaction going on on here! Back in the fifties, the NHS didn't pay dentists for a check up on a child's teeth - they only got paid if they actually did any work. Consequently, whenever me and my mates went to the dentist, we always had a filling, usually only one, so the dentist got his money and everyone was happy - except us kids, of course - dentists, drills bloody hurt in those days! - and of course, the fillings deteriorated, fell out, resulting in a larger cavity and ultimately often the loss of a tooth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don't remember the song "all I want for Cwithmath ith my two front teeth"?

Yes, but if the idiot had read my post properly he would realise that I have all my front teeth, and so do not need two front teeth. Where the feck does he think I'd put them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but if the idiot had read my post properly he would realise that I have all my front teeth
The girl who sang the song didn't have her front teeth, so she wanted them for Christmas. You've got yours already, so what would you like?

What's up GT, you don't seem very cheery this morning?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The girl who sang the song didn't have her front teeth, so she wanted them for Christmas. You've got yours already, so what would you like?

What's up GT, you don't seem very cheery this morning?

Like I said, I don't have any dental requirements on my Christmas list! Which, if I think about it, actually makes me quite happy................

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This, with knobs on. Lot of self-satisfaction going on on here! Back in the fifties, the NHS didn't pay dentists for a check up on a child's teeth - they only got paid if they actually did any work. Consequently, whenever me and my mates went to the dentist, we always had a filling, usually only one, so the dentist got his money and everyone was happy - except us kids, of course - dentists, drills bloody hurt in those days! - and of course, the fillings deteriorated, fell out, resulting in a larger cavity and ultimately often the loss of a tooth.

This. I actually got this in the 80s. All (well all the back ones) my teeth filled as a kid on the NHS and another dentist came back and said none actually need filling. Disgraceful

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all my own
and all pretty good too
its about the only thing that is though :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Like I said, I don't have any dental requirements on my Christmas list! Which, if I think about it, actually makes me quite happy................

My thread is no worse than the telephone number thread. I am finding the dentistry conversation interesting.
cant-handle-tooth_toon.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anyone here have had cosmetic work on their teef?

Depends what you mean by cosmetic ....

In the mid 70's as a teenager I was goofy [buck-teeth - was called "bug" at school] so I was referred to an orthodontist [aka a butcher] - he removed upper right 5 and upper left 5 and I wore a brace for 18 months - not the nice metal ones kids wear today but a hideous hook and white elastic band contraption.

In my 30's I had one Wisdom tooth removed

Last Summer I took a cricket ball in the chops - 3 wobbly teeth - dentist tried to splint them but unfortunately they didn't re-seat / take. So upper left 1 and upper right 1 & 2 were removed in February and I'm wearing a temporary denture. In May I will be having titanium implants fitted and then once these have been in for ~6 months they will be capped - so, all I want for Christmas is my three front teeth.

All you lot who say with pride "I've not been to the dentist for xx years and my teeth are fine" - sorry but it's a ticking bomb.
It's a bit like saying you've not had your car serviced for years, something is gonna go wrong sooner or later without maintenance - mark my words ....

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Depends what you mean by cosmetic ....

In the mid 70's as a teenager I was goofy [buck-teeth - was called "bug" at school] so I was referred to an orthodontist [aka a butcher] - he removed upper right 5 and upper left 5 and I wore a brace for 18 months - not the nice metal ones kids wear today but a hideous hook and white elastic band contraption.

In my 30's I had one Wisdom tooth removed

Last Summer I took a cricket ball in the chops - 3 wobbly teeth - dentist tried to splint them but unfortunately they didn't re-seat / take. So upper left 1 and upper right 1 & 2 were removed in February and I'm wearing a temporary denture. In May I will be having titanium implants fitted and then once these have been in for ~6 months they will be capped - so, all I want for Christmas is my three front teeth.

All you lot who say with pride "I've not been to the dentist for xx years and my teeth are fine" - sorry but it's a ticking bomb.
It's a bit like saying you've not had your car serviced for years, something is gonna go wrong sooner or later without maintenance - mark my words ....

Is it expensive or can you get this on the NHS?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here