Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radicalisation in Brighton

D

Deleted member 22389

This is a very interesting point. I have found myself with the boot on my other foot, so to speak, when I lived abroad for 4 years a long time ago. I tended to keep my head down and my mouth shut, with respect to nationality-realted issues, as a foreigner. Unlike some of the ex pat bores who daily invited 'why don't you sod off, then? comments from the locals - albeit they never said this. But there came a point when I had to decide whether to stay or go. I think that if I had stayed I would have grasped the nettle and gone native. I would have had to have done, in my book. Its only polite. And when I came back to England it was work and family rather than any sense of not wanting to be Canadian that swung it.

Ironically the boot has been on yet another foot with my lad. Born in Canada, living in the UK between age 3 and 6, he finally settled here when he was 12 (too complicated to explain). He got his UK citizenship when he was 20 (it is not a formailty by any means). Now he's very much a Brit.

I think that if you move permanently to another country, you should be humble, and do whatever you can to 'become' native. I have never been happy with the monoculture silos we have allowed to form in the UK. Not just allow, but encourage (by dumping or directing folk into particular areas, since the 1950s, rather than requiring dispersion and assimilation).

Unlike you I am hopeful that it isn't too late. It may take a long time, but eventually the kids, or the kids of the kids will say 'bollock to this - I'm English', as I see every day with the students I teach in London. Close my eyes and they all sound English (with the occasional jock - which has included a female Muslim jock who was so jock I wanted to bludgeon a Crankie). Open my eyes, and they are English. Admittedly they are middle class English, but En.glish nonetheless. There is hope here somewhere . . .

By contrast, a mate who works at a much 'lesser' higher education institute tells me that Muslim boys often harrass any Muslim female if they don't dress correctly . . . . my view is that on average this type of behaviour is more prevalent with the less gifted - fancy that!

All the best.

Trouble is we have let our guard down on Islam in the name of political correctness. I think the link to this article says everything about the last part in your post about Muslim females being told to dress correctly. I really don't want my daughter growing up in a society where women need to cover up and then that eventually becomes the norm, and it's worrying when I hear things like the UK is becoming more Islamic than other Islamic countries. It's not good for anyone especially females.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...lamification-fashion-terrible-blow-women.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...i-faith-dignity-gowns-hospital_n_9385452.html

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is a very interesting point. I have found myself with the boot on my other foot, so to speak, when I lived abroad for 4 years a long time ago. I tended to keep my head down and my mouth shut, with respect to nationality-realted issues, as a foreigner. Unlike some of the ex pat bores who daily invited 'why don't you sod off, then? comments from the locals - albeit they never said this. But there came a point when I had to decide whether to stay or go. I think that if I had stayed I would have grasped the nettle and gone native. I would have had to have done, in my book. Its only polite. And when I came back to England it was work and family rather than any sense of not wanting to be Canadian that swung it.

Ironically the boot has been on yet another foot with my lad. Born in Canada, living in the UK between age 3 and 6, he finally settled here when he was 12 (too complicated to explain). He got his UK citizenship when he was 20 (it is not a formailty by any means). Now he's very much a Brit.

I think that if you move permanently to another country, you should be humble, and do whatever you can to 'become' native. I have never been happy with the monoculture silos we have allowed to form in the UK. Not just allow, but encourage (by dumping or directing folk into particular areas, since the 1950s, rather than requiring dispersion and assimilation).

Unlike you I am hopeful that it isn't too late. It may take a long time, but eventually the kids, or the kids of the kids will say 'bollock to this - I'm English', as I see every day with the students I teach in London. Close my eyes and they all sound English (with the occasional jock - which has included a female Muslim jock who was so jock I wanted to bludgeon a Crankie). Open my eyes, and they are English. Admittedly they are middle class English, but En.glish nonetheless. There is hope here somewhere . . .

By contrast, a mate who works at a much 'lesser' higher education institute tells me that Muslim boys often harrass any Muslim female if they don't dress correctly . . . . my view is that on average this type of behaviour is more prevalent with the less gifted - fancy that!

All the best.

And that's the Crux of it isn't it. Some Muslim kids you teach are middle class clever kids and they are all very decent. Your mate has to deal with a bunch of thicko Muslims and the boys are telling the girls they don't dress right. Education and intelligence beats any extremism and phobias 99% of the time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Religious indoctrination and belief without evidence negates education and intelligence every time. Which is why so many jihadists are well educated graduates.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Religious indoctrination and belief without evidence negates education and intelligence every time. Which is why so many jihadists are well educated graduates.

Disagree, those that blow themselves up are not the well educated graduates. Those that lead them possibly are. But then they have other agendas. That of control and power. I don't for one minute think than an educated graduate that finds them self in charge of a radicalised group actually believes in what they are doing. It's more for power, control, fame and other benefits. Power and control is what sharia law is. Those that enforce it are living out a power trip on the populous.
Those that follow, those that do terrible acts without question, those that try to impress their beliefs on others because the do actually agree with what they are being told, those are the uneducated or unintelligent, and that is the majority of jihadists.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Disagree, those that blow themselves up are not the well educated graduates. Those that lead them possibly are. But then they have other agendas. That of control and power. I don't for one minute think than an educated graduate that finds them self in charge of a radicalised group actually believes in what they are doing. It's more for power, control, fame and other benefits. Power and control is what sharia law is. Those that enforce it are living out a power trip on the populous.
Those that follow, those that do terrible acts without question, those that try to impress their beliefs on others because the do actually agree with what they are being told, those are the uneducated or unintelligent, and that is the majority of jihadists.

You are attempting to rationalise the irrational, you really don't know what makes these people tick. Your point is delivered in the same way that we so often hear about post atrocities from commentators and politicians that such people are not true Muslims.

The facts are of course that they are Muslims, very much so. It's this logic that has lead to the absurdity of not saying Islamic State, with preceding it with "so called". Seriously how ridiculous is that?

Anyway, back to the point, the 2 terrorists who tried to blow up Glasgow airport were Doctors as I recall, so jihadis and suicidal terrorists are very evidently intelligent.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/398717/Jihadi-doctor-Syria-Islamic-State-executing

Get over it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Suggest you look into the background of some of the 9/11 hijackers and numerous other examples where a terrorist attack was going to be a suicide mission.

Plenty of other examples of supposedly well educated people going to fight in Syria can be found here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32026985

Some even tell you why they are going to fight. I think they are getting quite annoyed that people always want to find a convenient non religious reason for their actions. Condemning them as inherently stupid would no doubt add insult to injury!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You are attempting to rationalise the irrational, you really don't know what makes these people tick. Your point is delivered in the same way that we so often hear about post atrocities from commentators and politicians that such people are not true Muslims.

The facts are of course that they are Muslims, very much so. It's this logic that has lead to the absurdity of not saying Islamic State, with preceding it with "so called". Seriously how ridiculous is that?

Anyway, back to the point, the 2 terrorists who tried to blow up Glasgow airport were Doctors as I recall, so jihadis and suicidal terrorists are very evidently intelligent.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/398717/Jihadi-doctor-Syria-Islamic-State-executing

Get over it.

Haha the Daily Star...Sums you up

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Suggest you look into the background of some of the 9/11 hijackers and numerous other examples where a terrorist attack was going to be a suicide mission.

Plenty of other examples of supposedly well educated people going to fight in Syria can be found here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32026985

Some even tell you why they are going to fight. I think they are getting quite annoyed that people always want to find a convenient non religious reason for their actions. Condemning them as inherently stupid would no doubt add insult to injury!

Sorry I don't consider those people in 9/11 intelligent. It all depends on your definitions of intelligence. For the most part as I've said, suicide bomber and those pawns in the front line are not well educated or intelligent. See my post above.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Sorry I don't consider those people in 9/11 intelligent. It all depends on your definitions of intelligence. For the most part as I've said, suicide bomber and those pawns in the front line are not well educated or intelligent. See my post above.

Blimey, lucky they weren't intelligent or they might have successfully carried out a mass casualty attack on numerous targets on American soil. What's that saying about never underestimate your enemy.

For the most part when only talking about suicide bombers and pawns at the front is closer to reality but different to your initial position.

As previously mentioned belief without evidence is not best practise.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Double post

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Mosque attendee Abubaker Deghayes has been convicted of encouraging terrorism in a speech he made uninvited at the end of prayers at Brighton Mosque.

https://twitter.com/CPSUK/status/1483803933621559296

Well some good news, this horrible piece of filth has been jailed for four years.

Hopefully he’ll lose all his benefits and get deported at the end of his sentence!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well some good news, this horrible piece of filth has been jailed for four years.

Hopefully he’ll lose all his benefits and get deported at the end of his sentence!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed no loss. Less than happy about the reporting at the time. The CPS report stated

"After evening prayers on 1 November 2020, Abubaker Deghayes, 53, stood up uninvited at the front of the congregation and gave a speech. There were approximately 50 people present, including children and young adults."

The Daily Mail at the time twisted this into a hate speech to his followers. It makes no difference to what he said, but it paints the audience in a completely different light.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here