Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If the Euro's started tomorrow, would you start/bring Wayne Rooney?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He's a must for the squad. As for the starting XI, leave it to Roy to determine who is looking best in training, and also take into consideration the opposition.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Actually I'd be tempted to start with Rooney and bring on Vardy.

Hope people aren't getting too carried away with Saturday's result. Yes it was good but I've heard worrying talk that on the back of that one result we're now 'one of the favourites' for the Euros. ARRRGH! It's always feast or famine with England isn't it? Either the team is shit and full of overrated tossers who don't care, or they're world-beaters simply awaiting coronation.

Saturday's result won't help with the hyperbole surrounding England and the Euro's that is a given.

The option to have Rooney or Vardy starting or coming from bench is a great problem for Roy to have.

Keeping Kane fit is key to success at this tournament he has improved so much in the last 18 months. He is definitely one of Europe's elite strikers. The recent goals against Arsenal and Germany demonstrate this.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If he's fit I'd have Rooney in my squad. There's a reason why he's England's top goalscorer...

More of an issue for me is the news that Milner will be captain for the game against Holland. This suggests that he is still very firmly in Hodgson's plans. I actually quite like Milner and think that a lot of the stick he gets is unwarranted but if he goes to the Euro's it will, IMO, be at the expense of a better, younger player. Frustrating.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's a must for the squad. As for the starting XI, leave it to Roy to determine who is looking best in training, and also take into consideration the opposition.

Take your pick, will he be injured before the tournament starts, injured during the tournament or sent off during the tournament? Pretty sure one of the aforementioned will happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's very difficult to see where he will fit in...especially as he never performs during the finals of tournaments. If I was Roy I'd make a break with the past and bin him.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
What I keep hearing from the pundits is that it's very important that Rooney is ENGLAND's CAPTAIN. So They say Roy HAS to take him.

Well in that basis you can't leave your captain on the bench can you? So he will start?

I'm honestly livid about the whole thing. I genuinely think the most likely outcome is that Roy will start him and the team will suffer massively as a result.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I keep hearing from the pundits is that it's very important that Rooney is ENGLAND's CAPTAIN. So They say Roy HAS to take him.

Well in that basis you can't leave your captain on the bench can you? So he will start?

I'm honestly livid about the whole thing. I genuinely think the most likely outcome is that Roy will start him and the team will suffer massively as a result.

Chris Hughton has left his captain on the bench for the last few games and no complaints. Why can't Roy?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven't read all this thread. In case its not been mentioned, the manager thinks he's a top man, always making a point to take time with new squad players, a leader in the dressing room. To parphrase' if he's got some games under his belt, he'll be in the squad, whether in the team or on the bench'. That sounds fair enough to me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take him as a Squad player, he is miles better than Welbeck and Walcott.

I suspect the one that will miss out is Vardy, Roy will take Walcott/Welbeck over Vardy and with Rooney back he will take his place.

After scoring that goal against Germany Vardy is a cert for the Euros.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
You'd have to take him, but certainly would give the youngsters a start ahead of him. May need rotation of squad during the tournament so he would probably get a game at some stage

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
With Kane/Vardy on form up top and Alli/Barkley fighting it out for the number ten, does Hodgson have a selection headache on his hands or will he stay loyal with the captain of England?

Personally, I can only see him as a squad player. In qualifiers and friendlies he has been impressive but that's about it.

After Euro 2004 he has not really lit up the stage with his performances considering he is supposedly one of England's "finest" products.

If memory serves me right, he hasn't scored more than a goal in a major competition since Euro 2004.

What's NSC viewpoint?

Agreed, bench at best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here