Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Germany (and then v Holland)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
England have to be careful. I heard the usual ITV guff about strength in depth, but the reality is we haven't got strength in depth.

There are only 12 or 13 players who are capable of combining as a team and delivering on a regular basis - Hart, Clyne, Rose, Cahill, Jagielka, Dier, Drinkwater, Alli, Henderson, Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rooney.

I reckon these are the core Roy should be looking at. Too many of the others flatter to deceive - Sterling, Sturridge, Walcott, Oxo, Barkley, Wilshere, Smalling, Stones, Gibbs, Lallana to name but a few.

We should leave Sterling out, might be the wake up call he needs - that and he doesn't actually deserve to go.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst I agree with the thrust of your point, are you really putting Vardy in the "delivering on a regular basis" category? He's only played SIX internationals! Drinkwater even fewer.

Actually I think there are only two categories:
The half who deliver on a regular basis who ought to be on the plane - I'm broadly in agreement with your selection
The half who are in form at the time of the tournament. And why is Hodgson bothering with Sturridge? He's made of Weetabix FFS.

I think with a squad of 23 you can afford to take one injury prone player who can make a difference.

Sturridge is our best finisher and I think he has to go.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The midfield should be Dier, Barkley, Alli, Henderson. Lallana comes off the bench and Milner ****s off.

Kane and Vardy up top, Walcott and Sturridge **** off, Rooney off the bench.

Defence is easy, Stones needs Cahill next to him screaming at him to defend first, play second. Rose and Clyne full backs.

This tournament is too early but they could do something in a few years in the team is kept together and the old timers are given the bench spaces in this tournament.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The midfield should be Dier, Barkley, Alli, Henderson. Lallana comes off the bench and Milner ****s off.

Kane and Vardy up top, Walcott and Sturridge **** off, Rooney off the bench.

Defence is easy, Stones needs Cahill next to him screaming at him to defend first, play second. Rose and Clyne full backs.

This tournament is too early but they could do something in a few years in the team is kept together and the old timers are given the bench spaces in this tournament.

Probably agree with all of that except I'd prob put Smalling ahead of Cahill - I think Smalling has had an excellent season and him and Stones played very well as a unit last night...

I'd take Sturridge & Welbeck but have them on the bench.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I agree with the thrust of your point, are you really putting Vardy in the "delivering on a regular basis" category? He's only played SIX internationals! Drinkwater even fewer.

What I mean by that is a player who looks like they have the stamina and consistency to play well in 7 matches over a 5-week tournament. I include Vardy because he's in form and has delivered for Leicester all season - even when he hasn't scored he's contributed to the team and other like Mahrez have picked up the mantle. England have players like Kane and Alli who can do that.

Drinkwater's tasks is very simple - he has been doing it all season for Leicester consistently well. He is the water carrier, the Didier Deschamps figure. ITV gave him Man Of The Match last night - probably an 8/10 performance in a side with a lot of 6/10 performers, so nothing to get carried away with but still creditable all the same. I'd give him the nod over Henderson for this role. Dier covers the defenders when they get forward.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Can't believe all the calls for stones to start he is in terrible form for his club and looks a complete liability. Yes he has promise but on current form far from the player I would want starting at centre half. Whilst not ideal I cannot see beyond Cahill and Jagielka for this tournament

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree about Rooney. He can deliver against lesser opponents but put him on the biggest stages and he flounders and fails to dictate or shape games. To be a top international you have to be compared against the regulars in the bigger and more successful nations. He comes up well short. There's a queue of younger and hungrier players behind him...I'd give them a go.

The groundswell of opinion seems to be start Kane and Vardy, have Rooney on the bench. You then need to consider what you want from your bench - like for like replacements for tiring players, or a power impact player that has the ability to reshape the game?

Rooney for me falls into that latter category. I think he is a better finisher than the likes of Walcott and Lallana but more importantly with his goalscoring record he'll have the ability to lift his teammates and the fans when he comes on. I'm sure opposing defenders would be more concerned about him as a sub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here