Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub opening hours extended on Queens birthday

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35881689

Pubs to stay open an extra 2 hours till 1am on Friday 10th and Saturday 11th June. This also coincides with Englands opening game on Saturday night vs Russia (8pm).

I'll be raising a glass to our noble and cherished monarch, as will you all I hope. Cheers ma'am

:cheers:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How many pubs have to shut at 11pm on a Friday/Saturday these days? Thought it was far more relaxed than in the past already.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
How many pubs have to shut at 11pm on a Friday/Saturday these days? Thought it was far more relaxed than in the past already.

This. In central Brighton no pubs shut at 11:00. Will they get an extra two hours on top of what they are currently allowed regardless of what time that is? I suspect this is just a nice thing that they can announce that will actually make no difference to the real closing times of most pubs throughout the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

outside popular nightspots, probably most. they have to apply to extend hours. i recall a list of applications for extended opening in London, it was surprisingly few, with only a handful in some boroughs.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Pathetic attempt to get us to give a toss about the old parasite. Only pub I'll be drinking in that night is the Tumbril and Guillotine. Vive La Revolution.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm confused as to why this has been done, is there some sort of national yearning to celebrate her birthday in a pub (if at all) that I've not noticed?

Now, if there was an extra bank holiday in the offing...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
24 hr pub opening was happening before I left.

do you remember the fuss they made over that? all that happened was they allowed pubs to apply to open longer. contrary to the protestations that this would lead to scenes like the old Gin Lane picture, few people want to drink 24hrs so few pubs and bars actually bother with extended hours, and then usually only a few hours to 12, 1 or 2am.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The 2002 World Cup was the best when pubs were allowed to open for the morning matches. I only went to work for 4 days that month.

Don't know many boozers in Sheffield now that close at 11 so as others have said this is a meaningless publicity stunt by CMD. Unsurspisingly.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What holiday was it when we used to get an extra hour, back in the days when pubs shut in the afternoon on Sundays?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Any pub could and can still apply for 24 hours license or extended hours. In practice many pubs stuck with the hours they had already, particularly in London. I imagine party out of habit, partly due to many pubs being in residential areas where they think they will not get longer hours, and partly because it suits them to rake in cash up until 23.00 then kick the punters out so theat they can clear up and get out at a reasonable time. Most pubs in Brighton do have a license until 01.00 / 02.00 / 03.00 on Friday and Saturday, most only use their full hours when they are busy enough to justify it, some only on special occasions.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The 2002 World Cup was the best when pubs were allowed to open for the morning matches. I only went to work for 4 days that month.

That was brilliant and made for a fantastic atmosphere. I remember going to the Sussex on Hove seafront with some colleagues, having a cooked breakfast washed down with a couple of bottles of bud before heading to the office for the day ahead. Marvellous scenes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That was brilliant and made for a fantastic atmosphere. I remember going to the Sussex on Hove seafront with some colleagues, having a cooked breakfast washed down with a couple of bottles of bud before heading to the office for the day ahead. Marvellous scenes.
It was brilliant. England Nigeria was the best, we went to the pub at 7.30. Bacon sandwiches and pints of Stella. Most of my mates had to go to work but a few stayed (the self employed or dodgy). I was there until closing, slightly worse for wear.

I was really skint the following month but it was totally worth it. Good job there wasn't 24 hr opening in those days as I'd probably have ended up dead.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It was brilliant. England Nigeria was the best, we went to the pub at 7.30. Bacon sandwiches and pints of Stella. Most of my mates had to go to work but a few stayed (the self employed or dodgy). I was there until closing, slightly worse for wear.

I was really skint the following month but it was totally worth it. Good job there wasn't 24 hr opening in those days as I'd probably have ended up dead.

Same, I (stupidly) took that month off. It was good though, I was living in Madrid and watched the Argentina game in a cavernous Irish bar that was 60 - 40% England Argentina fans. Marvellous scenes when we won.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here