Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's almost like it is just taking a current Czech international time to adapt to playing in a different country in a different style of football, rather than him being a donkey.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Had his best game in an Albion shirt tonight and he delivers perfect cross. Has got to be the best set piece taker in the club IMHO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A free kick & a corner just dropped delicately straight onto the heads of our centre backs, to head home. Accurate & deadly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pretty poor during open play, but dangerous, quality set piece delivery. You could see both goals would go in before they hit the heads of our players

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pretty poor during open play, but dangerous, quality set piece delivery. You could see both goals would go in before they hit the heads of our players
I suggest you look at Goldon's goal again. From a stationary jump by the penalty spot, he managed to squeeze it into the corner. It was a fantastic header.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
From the sounds of it he sounds like the polar opposite of Craig noone - he was all about being busy on the pitch with no discernible crossing ability. I'd rather have Skalak, and that's from someone who had a massive man crush on Nooney, and was genuinely sad when he left the club.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Rather wish we could play hockey rules and bring him on for set pieces only. He needs to toughen up as a strong breeze blows him over, will be convinced when I see him skin a defender a couple of times. Could develop into a special player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Impressed with him tonight. As well as fantastic delivery, he was still chasing everything at the end. Not the biggest or strongest, but a bit terrier-like in the tackle.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Impressed with him tonight. As well as fantastic delivery, he was still chasing everything at the end. Not the biggest or strongest, but a bit terrier-like in the tackle.

So we've found the new CMS? :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spot on. I think our set-pieces are going to be critical away from home in some tight games as they were last night.

Couldn't agree more, looked like we had 6 corners, scored from 1, and created havoc with at least 4 of the others. He gets a lot of shape on his delivery. On Sky Sports every chance/goal they show seems to involve Skalak. Gives Hughton a good headache to have next Monday.

As Warren said last night, that wasn't 4-5-1, it was a 4-4-1-1 and Sidwell did very well in Baldock's role.

Last edited:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Is the consensus that his ability is slightly one-dimensional; a better crosser (by far) than other options but all other attributes (dribbling, beating a man) he is inferior to our other wingers? An unfinished product ???

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
It's almost like it is just taking a current Czech international time to adapt to playing in a different country in a different style of football, rather than him being a donkey.

Oh, I see what you've done there. Irony !!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Is the consensus that his ability is slightly one-dimensional; a better crosser (by far) than other options but all other attributes (dribbling, beating a man) he is inferior to our other wingers? An unfinished product ???

I think that's how it comes across on here.

But on the limited highlights there was a good moment where following an attack the ball came to him, he dropped a should following the defender and then hit a shot just wide and into the side netting. I think he is pretty good and once he is up to the pace of the game I think he will start showing more and more.

Also - Beckham was somewhat one dimensional and he did alright

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here