Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1) I didn't say it was a thread to pay respects; I was trying to imply the tone was reflective.
So have a thread that says it's for respect and reflection, no politics please.
2) As I said, there's a difference between a discussion and using it to push an agenda.
Yes I heard you, but it's inevitable that one will lead to the other.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
26 dead and dozens injured on the BBC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Might as well get used to this, seems to be a regular occurrence.

As a child of the '70's not sure I remember a time when there hasn't been a terrorist threat of some description or another. Unbelievable what people will do for their beliefs.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You'd really need the thread title changed - perhaps start your own one that is specifically to pay respects etc.

I know there is, but it's almost inevitable that one will lead to the other. You start by discussing security, was it good enough and what can be done to improve it, and if someone genuinely thinks the best option to improve security is a political change then of course it might get said. I understand your point that some posters are more interested in specific topics than others, but we can hardly have it so that there's a list of posters who aren't allowed to comment.

On the contrary, I have been "removed" from the EU Referendum thread so I am unable to comment there.........it's been a couple of weeks and no one has had the decency to explain why.

Precious sensibilities being upset I suspect.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
1) I didn't say it was a thread to pay respects; I was trying to imply the tone was reflective.
2) As I said, there's a difference between a discussion and using it to push an agenda.

So, let me get this right........you want to act as the ultimate arbiter of what people can post on threads, and yet you DONT have an agenda.

You are unbezahlbar.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Across mainland Europe, yes, but not so much here. If they are on a watch list, this would get flagged up when purchasing tickets (be it plane, train or boat). People do forget we do have some control over our boarders.

So nothing incorrect about what I posted, we can sleep soundly in our beds though because we have some control over our borders.

With that logic we should be able to drop all the bag searches at the Amex........good stuff.

Yoda

English & European
So nothing incorrect about what I posted, we can sleep soundly in our beds though because we have some control over our borders.

With that logic we should be able to drop all the bag searches at the Amex........good stuff.

:facepalm: Of course we need to remain vigilant about those who are already here or those being brainwashed, that goes without saying.

What would you rather happen? Deport all muslims from our country like Britain First would like?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you are doing a disservice to the anti-EU campaign. this incident has nothing to do with the EU, security is not impacted positively or negatively by us being in it, using security in the EU debate is to use fear. not being part of Schegen does provide us some security benefits. leave it at that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Maybe it should be a separate thread rather than take this one off topic, nothing to stop you doing that and having that discussion there. That's what they are saying

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a child of the '70's not sure I remember a time when there hasn't been a terrorist threat of some description or another. Unbelievable what people will do for their beliefs.

As someone born in the 1940s I agree. There has always been some conflict or another going on. Basque separatists attacking Madrid, the 1972 Olympics, the IRA, etc etc

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He said attacks in Britain had been prevented by Muslim communities reporting suspicious behaviour to police but this was not yet happening in Belgium. "

Wonderful to hear that, more of the same please!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, let me get this right........you want to act as the ultimate arbiter of what people can post on threads, and yet you DONT have an agenda.

You are unbezahlbar.

I have an agenda. But, I like to think I am reasonably aware of when, and when not, to push it. I personally didn't think this thread was the place. If you do fine, no skin of my nose. I'll leave you to it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
why should we:angry: get out of the EU and shut our borders down will be a start :angry:
regards
DR
You do know we're an island don't you?

I mean, sure, shut borders and what have you but people determined to carry out horrendous attacks like today (in the name of whatever cause they happen to believe in) are unlikely to be put off by a gate at the tunnel/airport.

Regardless, feeling for the poor sods in Brussels tonight, especially with the mixed reports of some terrorists still being at large. Horrible horrible stuff.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Across mainland Europe, yes, but not so much here. If they are on a watch list, this would get flagged up when purchasing tickets (be it plane, train or boat). People do forget we do have some control over our boarders.

..What would you rather happen?..

Unfortunately not all terrorists are on a watch list but most if not all of those who carried out many of the pre Brussels attacks were EU citizens (free movement here). We do know the Head of Interpol estimated thousands of terrorists trained in Syria and elsewhere have now entered Europe via migrant routes. These terrorists readily obtain automatic weapons and high grade explosives, is getting access to an EU national passport any more challenging.

I would like the UK to have the freedom to treat all entrants to this country equally and undergo similar security/background checks commensurate with any perceived threat. Impossible at the moment. It saddens me why we have to wait for something terrible to happen before acting.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
you are doing a disservice to the anti-EU campaign. this incident has nothing to do with the EU, security is not impacted positively or negatively by us being in it, using security in the EU debate is to use fear. not being part of Schegen does provide us some security benefits. leave it at that.
It f***ing well will be when they allow 75 million Turks visa free access.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here