Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I'm sure we will all be much safer in this country if we remain tied to an institution that allows for unlimited migration for people from war torn middle eastern countries, plans to allow 75m Muslims border free travel, and will soon expand the borders of "Europe" to Iraq and Iran.

What could go wrong?

Whilst easing travel restrictions from Turkey is cause for concern, all recent atrocities in France plus the events on our own shores in 2005 were carried out by terrorists who were born in the same countries they carried out the crimes.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Whilst easing travel restrictions from Turkey is cause for concern, all recent atrocities in France plus the events on our own shores in 2005 were carried out by terrorists who were born in the same countries they carried out the crimes.

Thanks , not so bad after all then .

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

1) You are completely wrong, and that is not to count the many many planned atrocities foiled and failed.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jul/27/july7.uksecurity5

2) those born in the countries they subsequently committed atrocities in may be legal "nationals" that is not how they would define themselves and proof if needed that assimilation of some migrants will take generations.

3) The EU is opening the borders of national states to Turkey, and expanding to the Middle East without any mandate by those nations citizens, "cause for concern" is some understatement.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This attack may well change security at airports. At the moment anyone can walk into a departure lounge without being scanned.

I work at Heathrow. I believe that there is a bye law in place specifying that only people with a legitimate reason to be at the airport may remain in the concourses. The police are therefore entitled to make any enquiries they deem necessary in order to establish the basis for a person's presence and I imagine that any ramping up of security could be done so immediately under this bye law. I occasionally see the police moving people along when I am on a night shift, although this is generally to stop homeless people using the terminal for shelter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) You are completely wrong, and that is not to count the many many planned atrocities foiled and failed.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jul/27/july7.uksecurity5

2) those born in the countries they subsequently committed atrocities in may be legal "nationals" that is not how they would define themselves and proof if needed that assimilation of some migrants will take generations.

3) The EU is opening the borders of national states to Turkey, and expanding to the Middle East without any mandate by those nations citizens, "cause for concern" is some understatement.

Do you have to try and derail what to now has been a reasonably reflective thread about today's events? Can you post this on the EU thread or something?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I work at Heathrow. I believe that there is a bye law in place specifying that only people with a legitimate reason to be at the airport may remain in the concourses. The police are therefore entitled to make any enquiries they deem necessary in order to establish the basis for a person's presence and I imagine that any ramping up of security could be done so immediately under this bye law. I occasionally see the police moving people along when I am on a night shift, although this is generally to stop homeless people using the terminal for shelter.

Anyone can buy an airline ticket though. Even if they have no intention of using it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

How would this stop somebody wheeling a suitcase full of explosives though the front door of the terminal and walking up to massive checking queue and blowing it up.

The same is true for any mainline station at rush hour.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How would this stop somebody wheeling a suitcase full of explosives though the front door of the terminal and walking up to massive checking queue and blowing it up.

Agreed. I go through St Pancras every day and although there are often armed police there, it's obvious to everyone that it still wouldn't be too difficult to replicate what happened in Brussels today.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Do you have to try and derail what to now has been a reasonably reflective thread about today's events? Can you post this on the EU thread or something?

Give yourself a shake love, I'm merely reflecting reasonably on the UK's own national security in light of this new terrorist attack in Europe.

The issue of national security has been prominent in the EU debate so far therefore its not a massive mental leap to relate this attack to our own arrangements.

Indeed, there have been announcements already indicating that more armed police will be patrolling in UK cities as a means of reassuring UK citizens. How wonderful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The same is true for everywhere. Walk into a busy pub and there are loads of people in a confined area. Searching everyone before they go anywhere and before they get to the queue in which they're supposed to be searched is not an option.

We just need the usual anti-terrorist work to try and stop attacks, and we need to work with the Muslim community to help prevent people being radicalised and to arrest those that are recruiting them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Put simply it won't. Any public area, by its very definition, can be a target. And has been pointed out installing barriers will just move the crowd outside the public area; folk have to congregate somewhere.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Religion killing innocent people again.

This is going to seriously help out Donald Trump in the presidential race mind

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I'm flying tonight. Be interesting to see how security differs from pre-Paris, post-Paris and now. It visibly, and very noticeably, ramped up post-Paris.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Give yourself a shake love, I'm merely reflecting reasonably on the UK's own national security in light of this new terrorist attack in Europe.

The issue of national security has been prominent in the EU debate so far therefore its not a massive mental leap to relate this attack to our own arrangements.

Indeed, there have been announcements already indicating that more armed police will be patrolling in UK cities as a means of reassuring UK citizens. How wonderful.

You really are unpleasant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The same is true for everywhere. Walk into a busy pub and there are loads of people in a confined area. Searching everyone before they go anywhere and before they get to the queue in which they're supposed to be searched is not an option.

We just need the usual anti-terrorist work to try and stop attacks, and we need to work with the Muslim community to help prevent people being radicalised and to arrest those that are recruiting them.

This is key to fighting terrorism. I was watching BBC News channel with a security expert in the UK, explaining how vital this had been in the UK in deterring terrorists. The Muslim community had cooperated well here.

Belgium is a different kettle of fish unfortunately, and the area of Molenbeek was almost a no go area, which was why Abdeslam escaped capture for 4 months. Belgium was also not very good at sharing security information with other European countries.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Belgium was also not very good at sharing security information with other European countries.
:facepalm: The UK should share information with the free world, and we're an island. The idea that a country in the middle of Europe not sharing information is madness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here