Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where has the Chancellor of the Exchequer gone?

larus

Same as Labour 1 but Labour lost 40 seats in Scotland at the last GE.

Vote tactically like they did last year inadvertently ensuring a Tory Majority Government?

And with the proposed boundary changes to make the electoral system fairer, then it will be more difficult as they will need to get more votes than they have in the past.

Whatever in-fighting over Europe that happens over the next year or so, when the next election comes round, this will he long forgotten history, but Jeremy Corbyn will still be unelectable.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And with the proposed boundary changes to make the electoral system fairer, then it will be more difficult as they will need to get more votes than they have in the past.

Whatever in-fighting over Europe that happens over the next year or so, when the next election comes round, this will he long forgotten history, but Jeremy Corbyn will still be unelectable.

Exactly, which is why I think/predict we are looking at 9ish more years of Conservative government come what may.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly, which is why I think/predict we are looking at 9ish more years of Conservative government come what may.

Probably yes (unfortunately in my book)......but........the disillusion with our politicians now reaching a level never experienced before in my (long) lifetime, votes at any election may now just go to f*** up the conventional politicians ideas. Think Trump in America (shudder, but probable).......then think Brexit over here (yes please!).

Everything is suddenly up for grabs........................................

Last edited:

Corbyn knows he is unelectable. The issue is a simple one. When will Corbyn step down to deliver an electable Labour leader?

The second question may be the really interesting one. Will John McDonnell succeed in becoming that electable leader? Don't underestimate his political skills.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He is probably in a room somewhere working out how to increase yet again taxes on buy to lets to help others onto the housing market

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Probably yes (unfortunately in my book)......but........the disillusion with our politicians now reaching a level never experienced before in my (long) lifetime, votes at any election may now just go to f*** up the conventional politicians ideas. Think Trump in America (shudder, but probable).......then think Brexit over here (yes please!).

Everything is suddenly up for grabs........................................

Agreed the political norms will certainly be challenged because of the referendum and the forces it has and will unleash. Trouble is if you're from a left leaning perspective I can't see how this benefits Labour unless they change Leader and return to the centre ground. Which seems impossible considering the party membership has shifted significantly to the left and they have the final say on who leads the Party.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The second question may be the really interesting one. Will John McDonnell succeed in becoming that electable leader? Don't underestimate his political skills.

as he's to the left of Corbyn, possibly Mao, i think he'd be even less electable amongst his own party let alone the public.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
'Chancellor George Osborne "absolutely" has the full confidence of the Prime Minister, a spokeswoman for David Cameron has said.'
ITV News - Mon 21 Mar 2016

He's ****ed then. Political speak for "you screwed up, as soon as its quiet - you're gone!"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Come some May. Come no change then maybe. If labour replace Jezza with someone (anyone) of a Blairite tinge, (I rather fancy the ex soldier) then its all up for grabs. Don't underestimate how popular TB was among the mangerial classes (voters). If it were not for the Jezza student union situationist arsewank, Labour would be over the hills and far away. No, with a presentable labour leader, all changes.

Thee vs me aside, I am astonished how the tories have embarked on this policy of self harm. I have followed politics since the late 60s and never have I seen such a mess. Kinnock saw off the far left at the end of the labour schism, after another mess. I see nobody among the tory ranks remotely close to healing the rifts. The tories always had one great skill - a sentiment-free eye on the prize. That seems to have been flushed down the lav, along with any pretence of vision, hope, plan, agenda, principle, in a mad rush to 'win' a pointless 'meh' war over something most of us think is 'whatever'., with limitless collateral damage along the way. Amateurish and asinine. . . . .

No, only one thing stands in the way of a labour landslide come next GE. That's Jezza. I hope he has enough self awareness to realise he must resign, and soon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No, only one thing stands in the way of a labour landslide come next GE. That's Jezza. I hope he has enough self awareness to realise he must resign, and soon.

I agree with Lord B, I think Corbyn will resign before the next election but not before he's ensured that the members have a greater say in the running of the party/choosing policy and leaders etc.

There's no chance of anyone who's vaguely Blairite getting in. What did Liz Kendall (the most Blairite of the candidates) get at the election? Four percent? Since then, the party has attracted thousands more left-leaning members and seen several hundred moderates leave - why should Blairite candidates fare any better now? They'll pick someone more traditionally Labour, centrist with a pink tinge, and probably a woman

Still can't see them winning next time, though. It would have to be a hell of a swing

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Come some May. Come no change then maybe. If labour replace Jezza with someone (anyone) of a Blairite tinge, (I rather fancy the ex soldier) then its all up for grabs. Don't underestimate how popular TB was among the mangerial classes (voters). If it were not for the Jezza student union situationist arsewank, Labour would be over the hills and far away. No, with a presentable labour leader, all changes.

Thee vs me aside, I am astonished how the tories have embarked on this policy of self harm. I have followed politics since the late 60s and never have I seen such a mess. Kinnock saw off the far left at the end of the labour schism, after another mess. I see nobody among the tory ranks remotely close to healing the rifts. The tories always had one great skill - a sentiment-free eye on the prize. That seems to have been flushed down the lav, along with any pretence of vision, hope, plan, agenda, principle, in a mad rush to 'win' a pointless 'meh' war over something most of us think is 'whatever'., with limitless collateral damage along the way. Amateurish and asinine. . . . .

There seems to be a view amongst some Labour leaning folk that Jezza will either relinquish power for the good of the party or he can be replaced in a relatively pain free process. I think both views are plain wishful thinking. Jezza like all good dogmatic ideologues will carry on to the bitter end or be ousted in a bloody coup as messy and damaging as any Tory infighting over Europe.

I thought the EU referendum would cause severe difficulties for the Tories but as you say they have started the self harm rather early and on a wider front, disappointing but the weakness of the opposition has possibly contributed to this reckless behaviour. On the upside Politics is certainly interesting again with real issues and substantive differences giving people a real choice in which way they want this country to be governed.

How do Labour get a landslide with 1 Scottish MP if they're lucky?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Dan Jarvis, really? Labour would have two hopes with him in charge, one of them being Bob. The fact the you couldn't remember his name says it all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Back to the original question, it will be interesting to see how Osborne explains himself tomorrow. Personally, I want to know how he's going to fill the black hole of £4.4 billion over this parliament.

It maybe an unfortunate coincidence but the Met have announced they're scrapping the enquiry into the alleged Westminster paedophile ring. Apparently, police enquiries into child abuse is costing the taxpayer £1 billion per year, so approximately the same as the cost of slashing disability benefit.

So black hole plugged and Harvey Proctor et al in the clear! Job done, and I commend this statement to the House!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I found George!

george-osbone-cocaine.jpg

D

Deleted member 22389

Let's not forget, under the Labour party millions of pounds went out the door in fraudulent benefit payments, which also included disability payments. I'm not going to listen to anything the Labour party has to say on any matter, the reality is we are still paying for the massive cock ups they made. The party has absolutely no idea how to connect to the majority of the electorate, everything they say just pisses people off even more than the tories.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Let's not forget, under the Labour party millions of pounds went out the door in fraudulent benefit payments, which also included disability payments. I'm not going to listen to anything the Labour party has to say on any matter, the reality is we are still paying for the massive cock ups they made. The party has absolutely no idea how to connect to the majority of the electorate, everything they say just pisses people off even more than the tories.

:yawn:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed the political norms will certainly be challenged because of the referendum and the forces it has and will unleash. Trouble is if you're from a left leaning perspective I can't see how this benefits Labour unless they change Leader and return to the centre ground. Which seems impossible considering the party membership has shifted significantly to the left and they have the final say on who leads the Party.
Maybe it's because it's the 'centre ground' - along with professional politicians - that the majority of the electorate wishes to give a bloody nose to; the 'don't vote because all politicians are shit' people might be just about ready to come out and have their day.
That possibility will have all the mainstream parties sh****ng themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here