Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Let Us Loop You In

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Apple are really taking their cost cutting too far in my mind. Recently had to buy a new iMac for work after the other one was stolen and got the wireless keyboard and trackpad. Total bill was about £2500 as the mac was up specced from standard. Included in the keyboard and pad box was one charger lead. If I had bought them separately I would have got 2 leads. Now I know I don't need both for charging but given that the early charger leads for the iPhone when they switched to the Lightening port would fray after a few months for the sake of a lead that probably costs them 50p to make they could have included 2 with the keyboard and pad as chances are anyone buying a top of the range Apple product will have more than one other Apple device.

I can't see anything new and innovative being announced on the 21st, just the standard refresh to try and tempt new people onto the Apple cart. August/September is when the existing customers get excited

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] does this mean that if I want to buy a new iphone 5s I should hold off as there may be a price cut?

What I imagine will happen is the 5s will not be sold by Apple any longer. The introduction of the new phone may mean other vendors lower their prices of that to clear stocks.

I'd have thought the SE (or whatever they call it) would probably still be the purchase to consider first.

Worth waiting until the announcements anyway and then decide.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Love it or hate it Apple is simply the best you can buy!
Android is utter crap as are Samsung phones.
I tried a Samsung 4 after my iPhone 5 just as a change,
the biggest mistake I have ever made with regards to phones.
Android is a dreadful dreary useless system blah blah blah !

Both Apple and Samsung phones/Android and iOS have their strong points and weak points; to dismiss either as 'crap' or 'useless' is pretty stupid.

I don't get on with iPhones because I find the OS too simplistic and rigid. Doesn't mean I think it's shit- I can see why some people would like it- it's just very uniform. Strange that you think Android is 'dreary' when it offers far more scope for customisation than iOS.

There's no such thing as a 'Samsung 4' either.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Bitter about...?
Not being able to afford an Apple product, which is obviously the only reason anyone anywhere wouldn't buy one. Duh.

I have no weird loathing of Apple customers, live and let live, but anyone that says the above phrase (or a close facsimile of) is beyond hope. Sadly I've met a few of their ilk in the past, not good.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I've just bought a smart watch from a site in china for $28 inc postage. (I just thought it was cheap enough to take a chance on)
Works via Bluetooth on Android or IOS. Works like a dream but I have to say I do feel like a bit of an a r s e when answering calls on it.
It takes memory cards of up to 32GB and a sim card if you don't want to take your phone with you for any reason.
Have to say I'm very impressed.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
It wasn't an accusation, but I must admit I'm surprised. [emoji6]

At the post office the other day the guy who runs it was pissing himself as he told me about people using Apple watches to pay on his contactless thing. Spending ages twisting themselves upside down to get the watch to connect when THEY HAVE TO HAVE A PHONE IN THEIR POCKET FOR IT TO WORK which they could just whip out and use "Apple Pay" with anyway. And it would actually be much quicker to just pull out a card and touch it against the screen. Maybe Apple should bring out a card that's connected to your phone and your watch or maybe just your bank account? Put Apple on the card and people will pay £500 for it.

I admit that I'm against the cult of Apple (logically anyone would be but I understand people liking shiny things) but even the biggest fanboi must have trouble defending the watch. It's POINTLESS.

Just want to jump in and say you don't need the phone to pay with the watch. It's uses the same technology (NFC) as contactless bank cards. And bank cards don't need a phone attached to them.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Both Apple and Samsung phones/Android and iOS have their strong points and weak points; to dismiss either as 'crap' or 'useless' is pretty stupid.

I don't get on with iPhones because I find the OS too simplistic and rigid. Doesn't mean I think it's shit- I can see why some people would like it- it's just very uniform. Strange that you think Android is 'dreary' when it offers far more scope for customisation than iOS.

There's no such thing as a 'Samsung 4' either.

I'm afraid there is, the Samsung Galaxy 4 which you knew quite well what i was talking about, but pretentious, pompous people like yourself would rather spoil for an argument about it however trivial the point is. Get a life FFS !

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I'm not sure why anyone would do this. The biggest shortcoming of the watch, for me, is the lack of GPS so it's not a particularly effective exercise aid when used in isolation.

Whilst my Garmin is nowhere near as pretty as an Apple Watch, I do now understand the use case of having notifications delivered to your wrist. It's a lot quicker, and also feels less rude, to take a quick glance at your wrist rather than pulling a phone
out.
The battery on my Garmin lasts for a good week or so too.

It didn't keep my interest long enough to find out if it had GPS or not to be honest, and the notification so called tap was pretty useless, if you were busy working you didn't feel it and if it was flashing under your sleeve you didn't see it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm afraid there is, the Samsung Galaxy 4 which you knew quite well what i was talking about, but pretentious, pompous people like yourself would rather spoil for an argument about it however trivial the point is. Get a life FFS !

There's a Galaxy Note 4 and a Galaxy S4, you still haven't even made that distinction. If you don't even know the name of the product you used, you can't know much about it.

Would much rather be seen as pretentious or pompous whilst actually knowing what I'm talking about than be seen as an ill-informed fool that says anything they can't operate properly is 'crap'.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just want to jump in and say you don't need the phone to pay with the watch. It's uses the same technology (NFC) as contactless bank cards. And bank cards don't need a phone attached to them.

But the point is that for the watch to function properly then the wearer needs to have their phone with them. So it's highly likely that when out and about and paying for stuff they will have their phone with them!

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
There's a Galaxy Note 4 and a Galaxy S4, you still haven't even made that distinction. If you don't even know the name of the product you used, you can't know much about it.

Would much rather be seen as pretentious or pompous whilst actually knowing what I'm talking about than be seen as an ill-informed fool that says anything they can't operate properly is 'crap'.

As I said pompous and also arrogant get a life !! You'll live longer if you don't worry about such trivial things of no importance whatsoever ha ha ha

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Truth hurts you doesn't it :tosser:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here