Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones - Luton

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nathan's team plays football without over analysing and over thinking the game.
I think he would do ok at Brighton.

There is a massive gulf between the Championship and the EPL. The second you start underanalysing and underthinking, you're finished.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally I'd take a mediocre manager who prioritises winning games over plaudits for pretty football that is actually largely dull as ****

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mediocre managers may prioritise winning games, but, er, they don't win them. Because they are mediocre.

Christ, if all that was needed to get what you want was to prioritise it, I would have prioritised having a massive castle with helipad and gun tower years ago :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mediocre managers may prioritise winning games, but, er, they don't win them. Because they are mediocre.

Christ, if all that was needed to get what you want was to prioritise it, I would have prioritised having a massive castle with helipad and gun tower years ago :shrug:

I would have prioritised Salma Hayek.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nathan's team plays football without over analysing and over thinking the game.
I think he would do ok at Brighton.

Sorry Mike, can’t agree, the expectation alone would be his undoing. He’s not an EPL manager, punching hugely above his weight, and theirs with Luton, if they were to go up I think he’d get quickly found out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Found out ? Like potter you mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third season in charge in the EPL, no danger of relegation?

Erm.

No.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Has anyone actually watched Luton play? They press high once in shape with players basically pressing man to man across the pitch, but once in possession generally speaking they are looking to get forward very directly. They generally have less of the ball than opponents in the championship. Rarely do they play short balls around the back but more old school looking for the big CF to win flick on’s

He should be winning plaudits for what he is doing there on a tight budget. But currently players football a million miles different to how we do. Would mean the club changing its entire philosophy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Worst home form on record
Eh yeh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highest league position on record?

Hey, yeah!

Steeve Cooper time? Long time since we have had a manager who, when he smiles, gets put on the sex offender's register.

I'm IN!

Hang on, no. . . . .no. Potter IN!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Highest league position on record?

Hey, yeah!

Steeve Cooper time? Long time since we have had a manager who, when he smiles, gets put on the sex offender's register.

I'm IN!

Hang on, no. . . . .no. Potter IN!

Cooper might be able to eat an apple through a letterbox but he'd be an excellent Potter replacement should Potter leave for any reason.

Did better than GP at Swansea, has done stratospherically better than CH at Forest and they gave Liverpool a better game than we did.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Has anyone actually watched Luton play? They press high once in shape with players basically pressing man to man across the pitch, but once in possession generally speaking they are looking to get forward very directly. They generally have less of the ball than opponents in the championship. Rarely do they play short balls around the back but more old school looking for the big CF to win flick on’s

He should be winning plaudits for what he is doing there on a tight budget. But currently players football a million miles different to how we do. Would mean the club changing its entire philosophy.

Playing philosophy. We changed our philosophy for Potter. This season we looked like we were progressing but at the moment it looks like we by the end of the season then no progress. If we end up 13 or above then I would see what Potter can do next season, if we end up for the 5th season in a row 15-17th then I would give Jones ago. It has to be about progress not only about style. Our aim is to become a top 10 team, we need to see a step forward soon or admit its too hard and survival is our level.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Playing philosophy. We changed our philosophy for Potter. This season we looked like we were progressing but at the moment it looks like we by the end of the season then no progress. If we end up 13 or above then I would see what Potter can do next season, if we end up for the 5th season in a row 15-17th then I would give Jones ago. It has to be about progress not only about style. Our aim is to become a top 10 team, we need to see a step forward soon or admit its too hard and survival is our level.

And when we did the whole club did from top to bottom. The academy play that way all the way through to the first team. Recruitment is currently geared up to try and find players that fit into how potter wants to play. I’m not saying if we were looking for a new manager I would rule Jones out specifically but you would need to consider we have little players that would suit the way he plays. It would be a massive overhaul in my opinion in players.
Also defences are much bigger faster stronger and just better than your average championship defence.

Being top 10
Really isn’t that easy. To do it consistently is even harder. 6 of those places are generally taken by the traditional 6. You get a club or 2 like West Ham and Leicester who will do it for a few years consistently. You have Villa chucking money at anyone they can, wolves seem to have a monopoly on most decent Portuguese players.
Once a club like ours hits the top 10 a year or 2 then those bigger clubs come in cherry pick it all away anyway and you start again.
Hence I think why we play the same style of football all the way through with the idea of having players who could be just as good given time already taught to play the way the first 11 do.
It is possible that despite wanting to be a top 10 club that we are in fact likely to be a lower end PL side for 99% of the time we are in the PL.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cooper might be able to eat an apple through a letterbox but he'd be an excellent Potter replacement should Potter leave for any reason.

Did better than GP at Swansea, has done stratospherically better than CH at Forest and they gave Liverpool a better game than we did.

No, I was being facetious. When I watch Forest on TV with Bob the Social worker we mock Cooper's good looks but admire his team. I'd be more than happy to have him in charge at The Albion. :thumbsup:

Edit from EL Wisty to MR Jolly!

Mr Jolly.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here