Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much money have you lost this season

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If anything, moving games from 3pm Saturday actually ends up saving me money, as midweek evening games involve significantly less :drink:

I wonder what the effect of an evenings game or 12:30 kick off has on our food and drink sales along with ticket sales due to be shown on the television.
Leeds seem upset about it saying it isnt worth the money to move their games

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing personally. We did incur an extra charge from our coach company when the Wolves game was moved to New Years Day but the cost wasn't passed on to our members.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Club not considering the fans when they agreed to the switch + wanting compensation from the club as a ST holder for the games they miss as a result of a fixture switch, etc --> yep, that sounds like it was aimed all at Sky

Does the club have a choice? Genuine question.

Controversial as it will be, I don't blame the Club, or Sky! Like any company, they will come up with business plans and go to bodies like the Football League and offer them £Xm to show live games. Nothing wrong with that.

However, The Football League (and the Premier League and the FA) then have the option to say yes, you can show our matches live, but these are the conditions ...

At this stage they could have imposed restrictions on the number of matches televised for each club, with restrictions on the number of changes in days of the week and kick-off times. That's not easy when it comes to the latter stages of the season when they don't want to be showing games between two mid-table teams.

So, in my opinion, Sky are not the villains here; they are perfectly entitled to offer what they want for the football they want to televise, but the football authorities should be tougher on them. Sky won't go away because they have no alternatives that will give them the same number of viewers. They may pay less for not being able to dictate so much, but there won't be so much inconvenience for fans and we'd take that even though it means less revenue for our club, wouldn't we?

And to answer the OP's question ...changes in match days/times cost me nothing extra, but can be irritating. On the other hand there have been games that I have been able to attend only because they were changed!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the high number of posters disliking games being moved for TV coverage and saying they want compensation perhaps we should total this extra cost up.

So how much has an Albion game being moved for TV this season cost you.

Me £0.00

Over to you

Strongly suspect that if there existed a mechanism for clawing back monies for hastily rearranged fixtures for nothing other than commercial reasons, then huge numbers of punters would be doing so.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Controversial as it will be, I don't blame the Club, or Sky! Like any company, they will come up with business plans and go to bodies like the Football League and offer them £Xm to show live games. Nothing wrong with that.

However, The Football League (and the Premier League and the FA) then have the option to say yes, you can show our matches live, but these are the conditions ...

At this stage they could have imposed restrictions on the number of matches televised for each club, with restrictions on the number of changes in days of the week and kick-off times. That's not easy when it comes to the latter stages of the season when they don't want to be showing games between two mid-table teams.

So, in my opinion, Sky are not the villains here; they are perfectly entitled to offer what they want for the football they want to televise, but the football authorities should be tougher on them. Sky won't go away because they have no alternatives that will give them the same number of viewers. They may pay less for not being able to dictate so much, but there won't be so much inconvenience for fans and we'd take that even though it means less revenue for our club, wouldn't we?

And to answer the OP's question ...changes in match days/times cost me nothing extra, but can be irritating. On the other hand there have been games that I have been able to attend only because they were changed!

I would have thought that all the clubs don't have no choice because they have a contract that was signed when the last round of tv deals was done.

Anyone know when that runs out? Nothing can be done until the next one is being negotiated

Maybe a limit it to a month or 6 weeks as a cut off for changes to fixtures because of tv could then be introduced (but it won't change the situation whatever they did because when you sign up to a ST, you buy so far in advance that it's virtually impossible to know which games will be the ones that tv companies will want to show and are then changed as a result, but it could help those who book away travel to games (but the number affected is small and they can take steps to prevent / lesson this impact anyway)

Saved quite a bit due to the paucity of 15:00 Saturday games. Evening games are a problem to fit in, realistically can only make them if in the school holidays which means only two since playing at the Amex. Would like to fit in more but at the moment the Derby game is the only one we are likely to make provided it remains on the Saturday - kick off time change shouldn't present a problem.

Jul 7, 2003
Probably saved me a few quid over for evening games, me and the boy catch the coach which is around £20. If we play on a Saturday, I'll get the train over (free) but then spend more than that on beer, food and soft drinks pre and post match.

Do I need to send a cheque to Mr Barber?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm better off if a game is moved from a Saturday as most of the year I'd be working on that day and as I'm self employed i don't get paid if I don't work...the Burnley one is a bit of a bugger

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Again, £0. But that's because I've pretty much stopped going away, and I live close enough to The Amex that it's easy for me to get to home games, whenever they are.

For a lot of people, though, it is a genuine and costly irritation.

For me it's just a mild irritation. I like drinking in Brighton on Saturday lunchtime before the game, but that pleasure has been taken away.

I don't want any money back, but I wish they'd leave it alone.

100% this. Nothing at all to add to it really.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Depends what else is on my agenda at the time. Money..little or nothing. Probably an extra few quid on Food if it's evening KO, as I seem to have been delegated group paymaster....without benefits! :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Technically, STH don't actually lose any money until they have missed about 7 games. After that point it would have been cheaper to purchase match by match basis.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Nothing personally. Those in my party have lost money though, due to games being moved coinciding with other pre-arranged plans meaning they can't go.

el punal

Well said! From a selfish point of view I prefer a Saturday 3.00pm kick off. Why?

1. It is more convenient to take friends and family to watch a game.

2. I can travel by train (from Southampton) for a return fare of only £10.10. That is less than the cost of petrol that I would use if going by car. Midweek fixtures mean that there is no available train to return home.

3. For evening fixtures I won't get home until midnight, and totally knackered.

4. I can drink!! As I travel by train, and have the luxury of going into the pub both pre and post match, it makes it a much more social and entertaining occasion.

There are a lot more reasons but I'm off now to enjoy my full English breakfast!

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
With the high number of posters disliking games being moved for TV coverage and saying they want compensation perhaps we should total this extra cost up.

So how much has an Albion game being moved for TV this season cost you.

Me £0.00

Over to you
burnley an arm and a leg, train fare bought so went up day before went to haydock, stayed in preston overnight and then game on sunday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So far a return flight and two hotel bookings. It would have been 2 returns but luckily I seemed to have forgotten to book my Jan 2nd flight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here