Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time For The Fans To Fight Back

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It was clearly tongue in cheek about finding a new club - but if you can't cope with fixtures being changed I wouldn't get a season ticket next year if Brighton go up - you will be a very angry person next season.

That's the persons choice to book that hotel when there are plenty of hotels accommodation available with FOC cancellation, and surely if you know there is a chance a fixture could be moved you would book that option?!

So given the option of Mr Sky said - no more moves, but we won't give you any money, would you take that?

I've been stitched over by a change of fixture, but that's the risk of buying a ticket, I don't agree with short notice changes but they are part of football now as the benefits of TV outweigh the negatives.

And actually, some changes mean fans can now actually make games.

Dearey me...:ffsparr:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It was clearly tongue in cheek about finding a new club - but if you can't cope with fixtures being changed I wouldn't get a season ticket next year if Brighton go up - you will be a very angry person next season.

That's the persons choice to book that hotel when there are plenty of hotels accommodation available with FOC cancellation, and surely if you know there is a chance a fixture could be moved you would book that option?!

So given the option of Mr Sky said - no more moves, but we won't give you any money, would you take that?

I've been stitched over by a change of fixture, but that's the risk of buying a ticket, I don't agree with short notice changes but they are part of football now as the benefits of TV outweigh the negatives.

And actually, some changes mean fans can now actually make games.

What actually are the benefits of Sky other than higher paid players, which is of no benefit to us fans? They don't seem to have improved the game for real (as opposed to armchair) supporters at all, quite the opposite in fact.

No Sky would mean more sensible wages, no messing around with kick offs, more need for clubs to attract actual fans which should mean cheaper tickets. All looks good to me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What actually are the benefits of Sky other than higher paid players, which is of no benefit to us fans? They don't seem to have improved the game for real (as opposed to armchair) supporters at all, quite the opposite in fact.

No Sky would mean more sensible wages, no messing around with kick offs, more need for clubs to attract actual fans which should mean cheaper tickets. All looks good to me.

New stadiums
New training centres
More money put into youth development - not enough by some
It's stopped clubs going out of business in the lower end of the league - where would some of the smaller clubs be with out that money?
Higher standard of player in the leagues which leads to better entertainment

Do you actually think if sky wasn't there the tickets would be lower? The only way that would happen would be if the standard was poorer and that helps no one.

Having had a season ticket for both seasons at Gillingham - I seem to recall people questioning why they were not on sky as much and it it was unfair.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
For sure. But like I said on another thread, absolute SHAME on any fellow fan who actually has a pop at you by quoting T&Cs.Anybody doing that is actually part of the problem.

So what are you proposing instead? - fans making up the lost revenue of around £5m that the club receives for broadcasting rights from our pockets (higher ticket prices, food and drink, etc) so that we don't have to lose a handful of games being moved due to tv coverage

TV coverage and the obvious likelihood of games being moved as a result are obvious to any fans prior to committing to a ST so it's hardly a surprise

Funny how it wasn't even really considered an issue until the Leeds owner locked the Sky cameras out of the ground recently, and he had to relent due to the contract that exists between the club and tv companies.

Seems some fans are more than happy to have the benefits of tv coverage for the club in terms of helping to pay for better players, etc... but only now start to complain when the reality of this deal sinks in and games are moved

As it has been said several times, you can get hotel deals which cost nothing to cancel with notice, you can get cheaper advance train tickets with insurance which allows you to cancel them and get a refund if you can't use them at the time or date for which they are booked. people can switch shifts, finish earlier and can move or take time off as annual leave to allow them the time off to attend. They can also wait until the tv covered fixtures for that weekend are confirmed before booking trains, etc.... - however this could take a little effort so far easier to complain about it than be proactive themselves. There is always the compensation of being able to watch the game on tv and not having to get there in the first place

Most people arn't inconvenienced by a change to either an mid week evening kick off as they finish work early enough anyway to make it otherwise they would miss any midweek game whether it had been moved or not and if they couldn't make midweek games, why by a ST in the first place and not just buy for games that you can make? The same for Saturday and Sunday fixtures, most will still be able to attend if the time is changed on the Saturday or moved to the Sunday

A ST doesn't always suit everyone due to personal circumstances and there are always going to be times when those who buy one will miss out on a match but that's how the fixtures fall and those who brought a ST accepted that there was always a chance that this could happen

People miss games due to holidays, someone's birthday, a wedding, illness and so on so are we going to complain that the club should either release the fixtures early enough to avoid the chances of this happening. (ie, before we even know which division we are in, before the end of the previous season) and move the games to suit these fans too because you are unlikely to find a time / date that everyone with a ST can make

It might be cheaper to book that holiday before the fixtures are known so should we demand compensation from the club, flight operators, etc for that too should they clash?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny how it wasn't even really considered an issue until the Leeds owner locked the Sky cameras out of the ground recently

Yes. Yes it was.

Most people arn't inconvenienced by a change to either an mid week evening kick off as they finish work early enough anyway to make it otherwise they would miss any midweek game whether it had been moved or not

Bit of dubious logic there. Even people who work locally might find time a bit tight for a midweek evening fixture. Those who are at the mercy of the train companies will always be playing Southern roulette as to whether they get there in time for kick-off. And anybody further afield would have to throw a sickie or take some leave every time a match gets switched from a Saturday to midweek.

If they couldn't make midweek games, why by a ST in the first place and not just buy for games that you can make?

Pretty sure that, using your reasoning, more and more people will be switching from ST to a match-by-match basis. Which can't be good news for the club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
New stadiums
New training centres
It's stopped clubs going out of business in the lower end of the league - where would some of the smaller clubs be with out that money?

Do you actually think if sky wasn't there the tickets would be lower? The only way that would happen would be if the standard was poorer and that helps no one. .

Does paying players shedloads of money actually make them better players? No, didn't think so.

Would love to see some sort of fans' fight back against Sky's mucking about with Saturday afternoons, but in reality, what can be done that would have any effect? Can't see anything, tbh.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In my opinion, people should stop living yesterday and start living today. Games will be moved, Sky's influence will increase and ticket prices will not get cheaper. Maybe when people can bring themselves to accept the reality, they'll start getting a bit smarter about embracing it - like the poster said above about booking hotels which can be cancelled without a fee, train tickets with the refund option, etc. Don't get mad, get smart.

For me, it'll probably mean cancelling the season ticket and saving the monthly cost, using that money for other things and making better use of my subscription to Seagulls Player - which will probably expand in future seasons to include full re-runs of matches or even being able to broadcast the matches live. I don't want to give up my guaranteed seat but I will if it's the better option for me as the consumer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I now reluctantly have a Sky subscription despite having railed against these kick off changes. I understand this is slightly hypocritical but it's not just for the football. It's because our free-to-view channels have been so RUBBISH at retaining sport. If I want to see any cricket at all (and I love watching cricket) I have to have Sky. If I want the full picture in Formula One, NFL and Rugby Union I have to have Sky. Having on our away games fairly regularly is actually a bonus but I realise this invalidates my complaints about our kick off changes. Even though I despise them.

For me there could be some basic improvements that would allow me to have my Sky with a much cleaner conscience. The disparity between Premier League clubs TV money and Championship clubs is ridiculous. The gap between amounts should be much smaller since the disruption to fans is just the same. Secondly more of that money should also trickle down to the Lower Leagues and grassroots. This would improve the standard of British players with any luck. Thirdly no Monday or Thursday League football EVER. That 10 games in 10 days thing was an obscenity and I should be able to complain about it, dish or no dish. It's not what I signed up for. Fourthly match changes should be fixed in advance for the whole season at the start of the season. Sky end up with 13th versus 17th? Tough. Their fans that can't make it will still watch it which is still the only people who do watch Championship games. Fifthly, in conjunction with that teams below the Premier League should get an even number of TV games wherever possible.

You're never going to put the genie back in the bottle and, unless they lose the Championship, cricket and NFL rights, I'm never going to go back on my subscription, But there are ways it could work to benefit both Sky AND the wider football community without too much tweaking.

el punal

In my opinion, people should stop living yesterday and start living today. Games will be moved, Sky's influence will increase and ticket prices will not get cheaper. Maybe when people can bring themselves to accept the reality, they'll start getting a bit smarter about embracing it - like the poster said above about booking hotels which can be cancelled without a fee, train tickets with the refund option, etc. Don't get mad, get smart.

For me, it'll probably mean cancelling the season ticket and saving the monthly cost, using that money for other things and making better use of my subscription to Seagulls Player - which will probably expand in future seasons to include full re-runs of matches or even being able to broadcast the matches live. I don't want to give up my guaranteed seat but I will if it's the better option for me as the consumer.

What on earth are you talking about in your first sentence? I can assure you that I am living today and not yesterday, as you put it.

First off, I am a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion. I purchased a season ticket because I would like to go to as many matches as possible to support my team. By having my season ticket I have contributed financially to the club I love. I also have a season ticket because it is a damn sight cheaper per game than your recommendation of purchasing individual match tickets. By about 30% by my reckoning.

Secondly, to discuss your point about being "smart". I have booked advanced train tickets to go to Preston for Albion's away fixture next week. I have saved probably around £80 in the actual cost against a standard return fare. I have done this because it is the "smart" thing to do - would you not agree? Believe it or not many other Albion fans have also been "smart" and have executed the same strategy.

What is not "smart" is to have made all these arrangements and then to have them scuppered on the the whim of some television company.

But then I suppose we could do what you seem to imply, sit at home watch on the Seagulls Player all the re-runs of matches, and even, maybe in the future, a live game. Wow! All the home comforts and I'll make my own clacker as well. No thank you, I'm a football fan not a TV addict or a "consumer", so I won't be giving up my guaranteed seat and I won't be following your lead of a better option.

bhafc62

Feb 7, 2016
London
Its quite simple.. Sky doesn't give a flying f**k about the fan. Get used to this because this is the result of the modern sport and the cash cow football has become!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does paying players shedloads of money actually make them better players? No, didn't think so.

Would love to see some sort of fans' fight back against Sky's mucking about with Saturday afternoons, but in reality, what can be done that would have any effect? Can't see anything, tbh.

Paying more attracts the better players to the premier league and also to the championship. That was the point being made. The leagues are competing for their services with other leagues around the world. At the moment, it's rich pickings for the Premier league with the only challenger now appearing to be China. When your boss gives you a pay rise do you instantly become a better worker? I doubt it but do you turn that offer down. Equally if another employer offers you twice as much to do the same job are you so pious as to make a stand and say 'I'm not worth that much so no thank you'?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
New stadiums
New training centres

Do you actually think if sky wasn't there the tickets would be lower? The only way that would happen would be if the standard was poorer and that helps no one.

Having had a season ticket for both seasons at Gillingham - I seem to recall people questioning why they were not on sky as much and it it was unfair.

Sky didn't pay for our stadium or training centre. If lower league clubs are unsustainable they should cut their cloth accordingly.

I don't think the premier league is any more entertaining than division 1 was. If anything it is less as it is so predictable (don't say what about Leicester as once in 35 years doesn't change anything).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I now reluctantly have a Sky subscription despite having railed against these kick off changes. I understand this is slightly hypocritical but it's not just for the football. It's because our free-to-view channels have been so RUBBISH at retaining sport. If I want to see any cricket at all (and I love watching cricket) I have to have Sky. If I want the full picture in Formula One, NFL and Rugby Union I have to have Sky. Having on our away games fairly regularly is actually a bonus but I realise this invalidates my complaints about our kick off changes. Even though I despise them.

For me there could be some basic improvements that would allow me to have my Sky with a much cleaner conscience. The disparity between Premier League clubs TV money and Championship clubs is ridiculous. The gap between amounts should be much smaller since the disruption to fans is just the same. Secondly more of that money should also trickle down to the Lower Leagues and grassroots. This would improve the standard of British players with any luck. Thirdly no Monday or Thursday League football EVER. That 10 games in 10 days thing was an obscenity and I should be able to complain about it, dish or no dish. It's not what I signed up for. Fourthly match changes should be fixed in advance for the whole season at the start of the season. Sky end up with 13th versus 17th? Tough. Their fans that can't make it will still watch it which is still the only people who do watch Championship games. Fifthly, in conjunction with that teams below the Premier League should get an even number of TV games wherever possible.

You're never going to put the genie back in the bottle and, unless they lose the Championship, cricket and NFL rights, I'm never going to go back on my subscription, But there are ways it could work to benefit both Sky AND the wider football community without too much tweaking.

Im not.sure your point about only fans who couldnt go watching championship football is valid. The figures posted here previously for the.season so far were well in excess of what youd estimate.that figure to.be based on home attendances

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Im not.sure your point about only fans who couldnt go watching championship football is valid. The figures posted here previously for the.season so far were well in excess of what youd estimate.that figure to.be based on home attendances

Other championship teams' fans undoubtedly tune in once or twice. I will if I'm home and there's sod all else on the box or if an upcoming team we're playing are on or I want to research a team or player ahead of some writing. But it's very rare. Probably 80% of the games I've watched on Sky this season have been us versus someone else. And by "fans that can't make it" I really meant can't make that game or potentially any other - stuck away working or at the other end of the country. We're quite lucky with the number of STHs we have but even so it won't be the same 24000 people rocking up to each game. The pool of our support is far greater than our average attendence and this is even more true for teams like Leeds and Wednesday. Show me someone who willingly tunes in to Burnley versus Bormingham on a Monday night without an ounce of affection for either team and I'll show you someone with no life at all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What on earth are you talking about in your first sentence? I can assure you that I am living today and not yesterday, as you put it.

First off, I am a fan of Brighton and Hove Albion. I purchased a season ticket because I would like to go to as many matches as possible to support my team. By having my season ticket I have contributed financially to the club I love. I also have a season ticket because it is a damn sight cheaper per game than your recommendation of purchasing individual match tickets. By about 30% by my reckoning.

Secondly, to discuss your point about being "smart". I have booked advanced train tickets to go to Preston for Albion's away fixture next week. I have saved probably around £80 in the actual cost against a standard return fare. I have done this because it is the "smart" thing to do - would you not agree? Believe it or not many other Albion fans have also been "smart" and have executed the same strategy.

What is not "smart" is to have made all these arrangements and then to have them scuppered on the the whim of some television company.

But then I suppose we could do what you seem to imply, sit at home watch on the Seagulls Player all the re-runs of matches, and even, maybe in the future, a live game. Wow! All the home comforts and I'll make my own clacker as well. No thank you, I'm a football fan not a TV addict or a "consumer", so I won't be giving up my guaranteed seat and I won't be following your lead of a better option.

All perfectly valid opinions and you're entitled to disagree with me. The days of guaranteed Saturday 3pm kick offs are gone, that was yesterday. Today, TV matters and if we're doing well we will always be an attractive club to put on TV. Our ambition as a club is to get promoted, that won't help the traditional kick off time either with a guaranteed early and late saturday kick off, Super Sunday and Monday night football as well. I think you're making up points to argue with me about though, I said nothing about game by game tickets and nothing about not planning away travel well in advance. What I said about train tickets is to get the insurance which is on offer, quoting someone else in this thread.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

No disrespect here NE and please correct me if I'm missing your points.

So the way things are going you are probably going to give up your season ticket because of Sky and the ticket prices.
You are going to spend the money on Seagulls Player and will not go to matches.

So BHA are going to lose a ticket buying fan because of Sky and modern football?

I think I will carry on living yesterday, because if this is living today, I'm out.
It worries me that Sky are winning over more and more armchair fans every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here