Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time For The Fans To Fight Back

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me it's as much the notice given. One month / X weeks is ridiculous. They need to choose the to games much earlier - they just wait to see who's doing well etc - there should be 3 months notice minimum - I guess train tickets can be bought well in advance though?

The amount we've had moved this year has been absolutely shocking though.

Yes, it is ALL about the notice given. For Burnley the notice is insufficient. When this is coupled with the reason (simply to provide a game to show) then it becomes very irksome. It doesn't help, either, that we in England have so many competitions and fixtures. Its a bit like the railways (a broken down train in MK last week resulted in two further cancellations because a guard was stuck in MK, and I was late for work bigtime); the small matter of getting through to the next round of the FA cup results in various knock on fixture issues . . . . perhaps its time to terminate the league cup . . . .

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
The sky situation is tricky. Many seem to want their money to pay for players in this 'modern age' of the football business. We get sky money and this helps this process. You can't have
It both ways as no TV money means cheaper players which may be less competitive. We've been there.

Sky are going to want to show teams that are successful and this means they need to move games at short notice to reflect who's doing well now.

I think Boro have the right approach - refund away travel expenses etc for those that booked early to get a deal. This compensates those that committed early and who might be most skint. It would be a tiny amount of money compared to the amount received from sky and shows respect for fans inconvenience. I also think you can be clever and reserve
Hotels that can be canceled at short notice.

For home games I think we just lump it or cancel ST (or share) and buy individual matches.

I don't like the Sky/money nature of football these days but we can't ask for the benefits, whilst signing away our rights and complain about their approach!

As others have said if we really don't like it get the banners ready for Leeds in the front rows of North and East
Stands!

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
The sky situation is tricky. Many seem to want their money to pay for players in this 'modern age' of the football business. We get sky money and this helps this process. You can't have
It both ways as no TV mkney means cheaper players.

Sky are going to want to show teams that are successful and this means with success they need to move games at short notice to reflect who's doing well now.

I think Boro have the right approach - refund away travel expenses etc for those that booked early to get a deal. This compensates those that committed early and who might be most skint. It would be a tiny amount of money compared to the amour received from sky and shows respect for fans inconvenience.

For home games I think we just lump it or cancel ST (or share) and buy individual matches.

I don't like the Sky/money nature of football these days but we can't ask for the benefits, whilst signing away our rights and complain about their approach!

Great post

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
There are numerous posts on here about us loyal, dedicated and blameless fans being completely dicked off by having to make other arrangements when TV companies change match dates and kick off times for their schedules.

No consideration is given to the fan who, in good faith, has made plans to watch a match according to the date and time of the official Football League fixture list.

Think of this sorry scenario - advanced tickets are purchased for train travel for the match day in question, hotel accommodation is booked with a deposit paid, maybe time is taken off work to attend the game and then all this is blown out of the water. Why? Because a TV company has decided that that wonderful Saturday 3.00pm kick off match will now take place on the following Monday at 7.45 - and you can't make it!

Who do you blame? The club? The Football League? The TV companies? All of them?

So if you are the sorry fan that has lost out in this madness of greed and selfishness, should you not be recompensed? My suggestion, far fetched I know, but if you have proof of going to attend the game (match ticket) and all the other costs incurred (hotel confirmation, train tickets etc.) then you should be reimbursed. A kind of Football Delay Repay if you will. After all you have acted in good faith.

So who pays? The club? Well they have to act on the authority of the Football League. So how about the League? They are collecting the revenue from the contract agreed with the TV companies. Or how about the TV moguls themselves?

I know this is all a bit pie in the sky, but really, isn't it about time us, the loyal, dedicated, football fans, were shown a bit of respect and understanding when it comes following our beloved team?

Couldn't agree more. The days when we fight against archer and bellotti proved what fans meant to football. Isn't this what we thought for? I just feel it's a really sad state of affairs , I don't blame the club they have to run it as a business but there is no getting away from it that it's all about money now

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Price of success, sadly. It will get worse if we get promoted.

I would suggest those who are against TV games (they are a pain) find another team to follow if Brighton get promoted

Games moved to 6 different time slots as a norm
Games moved because of cup replys/cup ties more often
Games moved because we have 3/4 teams in the Europa League or Champions League - Spurs/Man/Liverpool have just had to switch games in two and three weeks to Sunday's due to the progress in the El - that's short notice
Games moved because they can't be in conflict with live European club matches
I only really look at Spurs fixtures but we don't have a 3 KO on a sat left this season, home or away and 3 Monday night games in a row - do I really care? No it's means we are doing well.

I don't deny it's annoying, but for a minimum of 100 million into the kitty it's what they expect.

As for hotel costs, does anyone still use a company that doesn't offer 100 percent cancellation?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would suggest those who are against TV games (they are a pain) find another team to follow if Brighton get promoted

Games moved because we have 3/4 teams in the Europa League or Champions League - Spurs/Man/Liverpool have just had to switch games in two and three weeks to Sunday's due to the progress in the El - that's short notice
I only really look at Spurs fixtures but we don't have a 3 KO on a sat left this season, home or away and 3 Monday night games in a row - do I really care? No it's means we are doing well.

I don't deny it's annoying, but for a minimum of 100 million into the kitty it's what they expect.

As for hotel costs, does anyone still use a company that doesn't offer 100 percent cancellation?
You'll find we would have probably more Saturday games in the prem than other days...They have the lesser clubs regularly on a Saturday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe fans groups should collectively approach the insurance industry to see if there are options there. Perhaps a £1 surcharge on your train tickets to cover cancellation due to a limited number of football related reasons, eg sky change date and time. Would people pay that. Most people go looking for the cheapest options when travelling by train but surely you'd pay that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We don't want you moving games without at least 6 weeks notice.

Okay, what if we chuck another £100m in the deal and we can change with just 4 weeks notice?

Er, okay then....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Think Swansea have been really unlucky this season - think they have been moved 4 times because of it lol

The Friday night slot will make things worse. - in theory we could see a sat next season with no sat 3 KOs
Blimey that would be weird,but I'm sure they'll stick Stoke v WBA on lol
So is this a BT Friday night prem thing?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Forward thinking would remove most if not all of those lost costs.
Book a hotel where you are able to cancel up to 24 hours before booked date with no deposit.
Travel by car or coach so no need to rebook if moved.
Cancel work holiday ans rearrange for new date.
If you must travel by train purchase out ticket to arrive in time fot 1230 ko so no lost money and then open return.

Its not difficult to avoid lising money. But hey in todays society we are all victims and myst habe compensation for the smallest inconvenience

Rather over simplistic and not practical for many. I'll pick up two of your points.

1. Book a hotel which you can cancel with 24 hours notice - not football related but I stay in a lot of hotels throughout the year and sometimes when I book them I don't know if what I've arranged will actually take place. A good example is I needed to stay in Shepperton a few weeks ago. I could book a guaranteed room with no option to cancel or I could book a room that I could cancel up to 24 hours before - the later would have cost me £40 more.

2. Cancel work holiday and arrange for the new date - I run a team of engineers that work around the clock and over weekends. They are all welcome to cancel their leave that they have booked if they wish but as we plan jobs up to six months in advance I can't guarantee they will be able to book that leave for the re-arranged date.

el punal

I do find some of your comments puzzling. Firstly, saying to a committed football fan that if they are against TV games they should follow another team. Really? Your club is for LIFE, through thick and thin, good times and bad times. The sort of fan you speak of probably needs to change their armchair.

Secondly, regarding your point about hotel cancellation, in my opening post I used hotel accommodation costs in a scenario case. It could have been a back street B&B requiring a deposit or anywhere else that does not use a company that offers 100% cancellation refund.

I'm fully aware that success on the field will lead to more TV coverage. That's the nature of the beast and we have to accept it. The whole crux of my original post was that WE, YOU, ME, as football fans are not considered when it comes to rearranging the selected TV matches at short notice. The £100 million in the kitty that you speak of is all well and good, but do you honestly believe that that is going to benefit fans in any way? Cheaper match tickets or season tickets or subsidised travel costs for away games? No - I don't think so.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I do find some of your comments puzzling. Firstly, saying to a committed football fan that if they are against TV games they should follow another team. Really? Your club is for LIFE, through thick and thin, good times and bad times. The sort of fan you speak of probably needs to change their armchair.

Secondly, regarding your point about hotel cancellation, in my opening post I used hotel accommodation costs in a scenario case. It could have been a back street B&B requiring a deposit or anywhere else that does not use a company that offers 100% cancellation refund.

I'm fully aware that success on the field will lead to more TV coverage. That's the nature of the beast and we have to accept it. The whole crux of my original post was that WE, YOU, ME, as football fans are not considered when it comes to rearranging the selected TV matches at short notice. The £100 million in the kitty that you speak of is all well and good, but do you honestly believe that that is going to benefit fans in any way? Cheaper match tickets or season tickets or subsidised travel costs for away games? No - I don't think so.

It was clearly tongue in cheek about finding a new club - but if you can't cope with fixtures being changed I wouldn't get a season ticket next year if Brighton go up - you will be a very angry person next season.

That's the persons choice to book that hotel when there are plenty of hotels accommodation available with FOC cancellation, and surely if you know there is a chance a fixture could be moved you would book that option?!

So given the option of Mr Sky said - no more moves, but we won't give you any money, would you take that?

I've been stitched over by a change of fixture, but that's the risk of buying a ticket, I don't agree with short notice changes but they are part of football now as the benefits of TV outweigh the negatives.

And actually, some changes mean fans can now actually make games.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's a necessary evil... this influx of money has firstly improved grounds and facilities, secondly attracted better mix of players, and thirdly both of the aforementioned has attracted bigger crowds in general.... even down to League 2 and the conference.....

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
It was clearly tongue in cheek about finding a new club - but if you can't cope with fixtures being changed I wouldn't get a season ticket next year if Brighton go up - you will be a very angry person next season.

That's the persons choice to book that hotel when there are plenty of hotels accommodation available with FOC cancellation, and surely if you know there is a chance a fixture could be moved you would book that option?!

So given the option of Mr Sky said - no more moves, but we won't give you any money, would you take that?

I've been stitched over by a change of fixture, but that's the risk of buying a ticket, I don't agree with short notice changes but they are part of football now as the benefits of TV outweigh the negatives.

And actually, some changes mean fans can now actually make games.

Dear oh dear

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here