Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic. Friend not paying a debt back, any advice?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you want to take radical action, you could always deduct him a few league points: Not enough to have any impact of course, lets not go mad. You could then turn the screws by awarding him millions in TV rights. Just make sure he only uses the windfall to feather his own nest and doesn't go about repaying anyone.

Its extreme, but evidence suggests that its effective.*

*- So far.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Thanks. And you're quite right.

I have no doubt someone on here will know him, a lot of people do by the look of it. I will reveal his name once I've resolved the issue as a warning to others to steer clear of him.

We are going to defame him anyway once we have settled on a course of action. With social media I would imagine it's pretty easy to let the community know what a scumbag he is with a few chosen words on FB.

I would pick the words very carefully. The last thing you want is for him to then be able to take you to court for slander of defamation of character.

Also, with the social media you will be alerting him to what is going on, especially if he doesn't turn up to court to find out himself. All it will take is for him to move the assets etc. somewhere else and the bailiffs won't be able to find them. Also if it is to another 'friends' house I am pretty sure that they won't be able to go in to take them

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Would have thought it unlikely that a scammer would sue for defamation!

In any event, you have no need to worry provided you have evidence to support your main allegation - which you do.

Honest opinion (section 3 of the Defamation Act 2013)

The defence of ‘fair comment’ has been abolished. The new ‘honest opinion’ defence requires that:

a. the statement complained of (by the ‘claimant’) was a statement of opinion;

b. the statement complained of indicated, whether in general or specific terms, the basis of the opinion; and

c. an honest person could have held the opinion on the basis of:

i. any fact which existed at the time the statement complained of was published;

ii. anything asserted to be a fact in a ‘privileged’ (that is, protected) statement published before the statement complained of.

Under this defence, there is no requirement that, at the time the statement was published, the defendant knows the fact upon which an honest person could have formed the opinion.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is only ever state what he has borrowed and not paid back, but yes, tread carefully is the key.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Masked and Anonymous

I would tend to put more pressure on him to collect the debt before the other creditors and try take what you can get (say £1000) before he goes bankrupt an you will get next to nothing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So, I loaned a "friend" 2.5k under the condition he used it to pay back debts and sort himself out. He signed an agreement which I had legally verified by my solicitor and pay back date by the end of March 2016.
I have learned that he has neither paid his debts back (some of this debt is to mutual friends) nor sorted himself out and frittered the money away on booze and tech gear he doesn't need.
I've since found out he owes lots of people money all over town and never attempts to pay people back. He just moves around town. He's about to move again but will not tell me where to...

I have a private detective friend who will locate him and serve him papers ,the signed document should see him in court but does anyone have any tips as to how to get some leverage with him and get the money out of him before court, as I can see him worming out of paying, even with a court order. Also, importantly, can the courts sieze control of his accounts? As i reckon he'll plead poverty but he always has some money. He gets money by advertising that he is a music video director on Gumtree, then he takes cash advance, films it but never edits or delivers the video. Just takes the cash advance and moves on.

He sounds lovely doesn't he!

Any advice, other than "break his legs" much appreciated and apologies for off topic thread.

pop round for a cuppa ....take 3k's worth of clobber off him.....sounds like a sponging kent.....don't feel guilty if you break one of his legs by accident...:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, I loaned a "friend" 2.5k under the condition he used it to pay back debts and sort himself out. He signed an agreement which I had legally verified by my solicitor and pay back date by the end of March 2016.
I have learned that he has neither paid his debts back (some of this debt is to mutual friends) nor sorted himself out and frittered the money away on booze and tech gear he doesn't need.
I've since found out he owes lots of people money all over town and never attempts to pay people back. He just moves around town. He's about to move again but will not tell me where to...

I have a private detective friend who will locate him and serve him papers ,the signed document should see him in court but does anyone have any tips as to how to get some leverage with him and get the money out of him before court, as I can see him worming out of paying, even with a court order. Also, importantly, can the courts sieze control of his accounts? As i reckon he'll plead poverty but he always has some money. He gets money by advertising that he is a music video director on Gumtree, then he takes cash advance, films it but never edits or delivers the video. Just takes the cash advance and moves on.

He sounds lovely doesn't he!

Any advice, other than "break his legs" much appreciated and apologies for off topic thread.

Sorry, can't think of a single bit of advice other than to break his legs. It's the only way he'll maybe learn to stop being a c**t..

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sorry, can't think of a single bit of advice other than to break his legs. It's the only way he'll maybe learn to stop being a c**t..

just one to start.....and just when the cast comes off .....do the other one....then tell him you'll be back in 5 weeks to break the first one again.......shitball!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
just one to start.....and just when the cast comes off .....do the other one....then tell him you'll be back in 5 weeks to break the first one again.......shitball!!
I love your posts sydney. I don't know if it's the time difference or just that you've spent years in convictland but they always come across as if you've been on the sauce. I mean that in a good way (with drink in hand) btw.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I love your posts sydney. I don't know if it's the time difference or just that you've spent years in convictland but they always come across as if you've been on the sauce. I mean that in a good way (with drink in hand) btw.

yes are kid.......usually sauced up ....:thumbsup: feckin hate liberty taking pratts though...!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Beware of the Long Firm Game

https://www.gov.uk/options-if-youre-owed-money

The Small Claims takes nine months (my one experience) or so and I think it works better with headed notepaper from a solicitor. I got my dosh this way but it was more hassle than the £1200 (£5000 now) was worth. Bizarre circumstances (isn't it always?) when one partner ran off with the others wife and both had to sign the cheques and they were not talking to each other and their firm went bust.

It was the domino effect. I had borrowed money to fulfill my part of the contract and I could not pay them back as I didn't get paid. In the end I made an offer to clear my debt (mostly fees) (something like 40%) cause they put pressure on me. I had already written off the money in my mind as it looked like a lost cause. Then a cheque (£1200 plus interest calculated by the solicitor) came at the last minute before the Court case.

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I hope I don't sound unhelpful, but at a guess I'd say this needs to be classed in 'the lessons learned' category. I'm not being smart as I've been in a similar position myself..... on more than one occasion :facepalm:
Chances are you'll get nothing back, or if you do it will be in such small sums over a long period that it will be almost more trouble than it's worth chasing it.
Shame is, this guy was never your friend. Though he may have felt you were his. Good luck.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Unfortunately violence is the only language he will really understand because he is relying on the premise that people will write his debts off & cut him out when he fails to pay. He has zero repect for "friendship" or anyone for that matter so perhaps sell the debt on to a "reputable" debt collector because he will just continue to do this otherwise.

He is a confidence trickster / conman plain & simple who believes people are too weak to deal with him in the manner that will put an end to his bloodsucking ways.

He will have CCJ's already that are unsatisfied so that will be a waste of time.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Unfortunately violence is the only language he will really understand because he is relying on the premise that people will write his debts off & cut him out when he fails to pay. He has zero repect for "friendship" or anyone for that matter so perhaps sell the debt on to a "reputable" debt collector because he will just continue to do this otherwise.

He is a confidence trickster / conman plain & simple who believes people are too weak to deal with him in the manner that will put an end to his bloodsucking ways.

He will have CCJ's already that are unsatisfied so that will be a waste of time.
Many will say violence isn't the way,but twats like this couldn't give a shite and he needs a bloody good pasting.

The law in these cases are pointless and if anything this **** would be protected like many petty criminals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here