Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic. Friend not paying a debt back, any advice?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Send him an email telling him if he invests £2,500 in a new business plan in Nigeria, he'll receive £5,000,000 back in profits. Easy and effective way to get your money back.

It fooled me twice and I didn't even owe any cash!

I've had a chap looking into him for a fortnight. He also has a stack of credit/debit cards for accounts with no money in them that he puts behind the bar in pubs, drinks all night then sneaks out "forgetting" to pay and take his card.

You could, of course, recoup the money that you have lost by trying the same trick yourself. It might impact upon your own credit rating, of course, but that's only a problem if you abandon this new approach to financial management.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

08e29e1f80c4a923891222fa937e9307.450x429x1.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Moneyclaim online again, but now before others get on it too!

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Without sounding blase, I can afford to take the hit but It sticks in my craw somewhat. I basically want him to realise the legal consequences of what he's doing. Do you know if he fails to appear at small claims court can he be arrested?

No he cannot. The only thing that will happen is you will gain judgement by default.
The best way of doing it is to get judgement at county court and then transfer to the high court bailiffs for enforcement.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I once had a similar problem and went to see a solicitor. He told me that I had two options. One was the legal route and the other a more muscular one. ( nice advice..... He was from the North West) I went the legal route and ended up with legal bills and very little of my cash back.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes, I know it was a daft thing to do. But I did it and at least I got him to sign documents etc, now I need to sort it. I obvs didn't realise he was a con man but I fell for it, hands up. He's been a mate for 5 years. I'd never heard any of this info before.

Thanks for the court advice.

Clearly he wasn't. Mates don't do that to each other.

Sorry you got conned and best of luck in getting your money

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I once had a similar problem and went to see a solicitor. He told me that I had two options. One was the legal route and the other a more muscular one. ( nice advice..... He was from the North West) I went the legal route and ended up with legal bills and very little of my cash back.

So what you're saying is you should have taken the muscular route?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
We had a bloke like that in a few Pubs up this way ,skimming ,scaming people all the time.He vanished shortly after 2 guys came in my Legion one night looking for him,one was mid 50s polite well spoken.His mate looked like your worst nightmare in a dark alley . I'll never forget the older guys words ,we only need to talk to him we don't want to break his legs or anything. I did see the scammer a couple of years ago in Chichester ,he went by the name Tom Bruce up here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank you for advice, I don't want to tell my family about it so it's good to hear others advice and stories.

So this selling the debt to an agency, that's a real thing? seems too easy? I would def spend £500 or so to recoup 2k and pay to see the little maggot squirm with them after him.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clearly he wasn't. Mates don't do that to each other.

Sorry you got conned and best of luck in getting your money

Thanks. And you're quite right.

I have no doubt someone on here will know him, a lot of people do by the look of it. I will reveal his name once I've resolved the issue as a warning to others to steer clear of him.

We are going to defame him anyway once we have settled on a course of action. With social media I would imagine it's pretty easy to let the community know what a scumbag he is with a few chosen words on FB.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think if you get a win in small claims court, you can then pay about £60 to instruct bailiffs to collect, and they will be able to seize goods for sale (like his shiny new tech gear).

Assuming he doesn't show up for the hearing, which he likely will not, then you will win by default too so it should be straight forward to go that route.

I'm in a similar situation, although I am being paid back very very slowly.

Lesson learned, don't lend anyone large sums of money.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Report him to HMRC - it won't help you get your money back but if he didn't declare his rental income and other work he's done then once they get their teeth into him they won't let go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with all of that. I feel stupid though.
Depends how good of a mate he was. A mate of mine loaned me £3,000 a few years ago. Instead of paying it back, I asked for 15 more, which he lent me :eek: So is he more stupid than you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here