Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blocked Drain - help please

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I went for the snake style rod from screwfix that you twist. It got the blockage in the end. It was years of grease build up. Flushed through with more sulphuric acid and now water. Overall cost, £20 for the snake rod and £20 on the acid. Ruined an old coat and a few towels but I'm sure I've saved myself a few quid vrs a call out.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I'm pretty sure that acid into the pipework isn't a great idea. The fumes coming off it if/when it reacts with stuf in the pipes can cause damage to the communal sewer that could be recharged to yourself if traced back.Maybe I am wrong but in my 7 years water/sewage company experience we would never recommend that and I am pretty sure that it can damage the pipework depending on the material it is made from.

Someone like Lanes for drains would come out and do it, they (when I last checked) wouldn't charge more than £150 but would also have a push camera that they could use to see what the actual problem is that is causing it.

Also - if you get someone out make sure you warn them well in advance that the acid is down there
I would never use it inside the house. It can damage pipes and joins. But used in an outside drain leading to the sewer in small quantities can't damage a brick and concrete drain & sewer system. it can't dissolve stone. You could get a pressure build up but as long as one end is open it won't build up pressure. It's disgusting stuff, don't breathe it in it let it have any contact with skin.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would never use it inside the house. It can damage pipes and joins. But used in an outside drain leading to the sewer in small quantities can't damage a brick and concrete drain & sewer system. it can't dissolve stone. You could get a pressure build up but as long as one end is open it won't build up pressure. It's disgusting stuff, don't breathe it in it let it have any contact with skin.

Yeah I guess I was thinking more of once it reached the public sewer if it was cast iron or poly then it may cause issues.

Ho hum, glad it's all sorted

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I use it in schools all the time, teachers can't stand the smell [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I know it sounds iffy but I use BLACK BAG one without any holes wrap it round my arm and get down to it
it has worked without fail
remember to throw the bag away though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here