Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just seeing all the knobs on TV who are backing the out campaign is enough to make me vote in.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Despite the economic debates and figures, people will go with their gut instinct and what they see serves them best. I'd expect Scotland to vote IN since a lot of them want to split & remain in it. Ex pats and those with property in Europe will vote IN . Workers whose bosses say their jobs are more secure will vote IN , younger people brought up to it are more likely to vote IN.

Oldies like me who remember that we did OK before joining are more likely to vote OUT, Anglophiles & those in fear of immigration will vote OUT.

As for me? Since the great and good (experts) are divided on the risk/benefits , who knows?.... I have never liked the European Union for a lot of instances over the years, so I am OUT

I don't think the great and the good are really that divided at all. The political split is clearly in favour of IN, the businesses are in favour of in, academics will be in favour of IN, scientists are largely IN.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Backers of campaign Vote in

Gordon Brown, Jeremy Hunt, George Osborne, Jeremy Corbyn, Diane Abbott, T Blair .....

What's interesting about this is that supporters of IN could probably run to two pages. In really is a cross-party effort. 90% of Brexiters are UKIP/Tory.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Establishment support status quo shock

What's interesting about this is that supporters of IN could probably run to two pages. In really is a cross-party effort. 90% of Brexiters are UKIP/Tory.

True there are far more supporting in although we should remember many who do have a vested interest in keeping their government jobs and chances of career progression.

Not sure about the 90% figure but even if true thank goodness Tories and UKIP are there representing at least 40% of the British public's views.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

and at the weird end of that weird spectrum!

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
One of the other things to weigh up is business locating here to gain access to the EU for example, Nissan. Would they stop investment if we left or maybe even move lock stock and barrel to an EU country. There are probably other companies that would consider the same.

I think this is one of the big concerns, that some multinationals including banking & manufacturing might move to one of the 27. This also makes it difficult to put an economic value on being 'in' - it isn't just the cash we put in but the 'other' benefits to business / free trade and most importantly skilled jobs.

I know some say about cutting the 'red' tape, but some employment law and protection of workers is surely a good thing?

I can not see immigration change, who would do all the jobs many British/unemployed just don't want to do?

The EU is far from perfect, but on balance I'm 'in'

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Just caught the tail end of an article on BBC1, one of the exit campaigns held a rally and when George Galloway turned up to speak they were leaving in their droves, absolutely aghast at the thought of listening to him.
I've a feeling this is going to provide some jolly good entertainment.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
And that would be half of all voters

Time will tell. I have never voted Tory but was mightily impressed by Cameron's performance on Marr today. I think and hope that will have swayed a lot of true-blue Tories, a split tory + UKIP does not add up to nearly half of all voters.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Despite the economic debates and figures, people will go with their gut instinct and what they see serves them best. I'd expect Scotland to vote IN since a lot of them want to split & remain in it. Ex pats and those with property in Europe will vote IN . Workers whose bosses say their jobs are more secure will vote IN , younger people brought up to it are more likely to vote IN.

Oldies like me who remember that we did OK before joining are more likely to vote OUT, Anglophiles & those in fear of immigration will vote OUT.

As for me? Since the great and good (experts) are divided on the risk/benefits , who knows?.... I have never liked the European Union for a lot of instances over the years, so I am OUT

I think more 'oldies' are likely to vote as well, younger can be too 'busy' or just don't see their vote as important (which it is), I agree with your assumptions on the majority of voters - but not all.

I'm an oldie I guess, will vote, and on balance to stay in.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Just caught the tail end of an article on BBC1, one of the exit campaigns held a rally and when George Galloway turned up to speak they were leaving in their droves, absolutely aghast at the thought of listening to him.

This is going to go on for too long. I think by the end I will be avoiding the news!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Good for them. It is sad that this odious man has latched on to the exit campaign. This is a man that would give our rights and borders over to anybody. He is very anti English as well.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
June 23rd...Five months of campaigning.....Lets have it on March the first.

I agree, this will be hanging over everything for the next 4 months. I still really believe Cameron had no belief that he would have to do these negotiations and have the referendum as he didn't have an inkling the Tories were going to win a majority. Fair play to him, he's made the best of a poor hand. There is no way he was going to get any agreement on repatriation of powers back to Westminster. The EU in its current size is so cumbersome, anything that looked like members could pick and choose would lead to it's unravelling, which all the other member states, and the bureaucrats are desperate to avoid. He got away the maximum concessions he could. Enough for him, and many people, pitifully little for others. I'm guessing that most of us will be heartily sick of the whole thing by the time voting day arrives.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Time will tell. I have never voted Tory but was mightily impressed by Cameron's performance on Marr today. I think and hope that will have swayed a lot of true-blue Tories, a split tory + UKIP does not add up to nearly half of all voters.

You're falling into the trap of thinking this is a left v right issue. It really isn't.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

What's interesting is how those who support the EU cannot begin to consider that opposition to teh EU can come from anyone who is not UKIP/Tory?

There are none so blind as those who cannot see; and this applies particularly to those people who dont think they are Tories, but yet support a Tory wet dream of the capitalists running global corprate concerns in control of national Governments so that they can grind the interest of the working classes to dust and impose privatised public services.

http://www.euractiv.com/section/trade-society/news/anti-ttip-demonstrations-seize-european-capitals/

Corbyn may now want in, however he is selling himself out to many tens of thousands of new labour members who supported his anti EU stance on issues like TTIP.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So many questions.

Whats the criteria to vote? Do UK citizens living in Spain get a vote? Do long-term Polish residents in Britain get a vote? Can you get a postal vote if you're out of the country?

How will the Northern Irish vote? Do they value free movement over the border or want to keep their neighbours at arms length?

What about immigrant Asian and Carribbean communities, would they prefer to be out to reduce competition for low-skilled jobs, or simply refuse to vote alongside UKIP-ers and other anti-immigrant types?

Will the Scottish be so determined to vote IN that its going to be damn hard for English outers to overturn that?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here