Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Baldock back

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Baldock >> CMS. Far more intelligent and skillful.

Baldock not good enough I'm afraid. He has had plenty of chances to prove himself at Championship level, and not just with us, and has never delivered.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Listening to WA last night, he said CH and CC were going mad at Baldock soon after he came on. Anyone at the match see what that was all about?
No, I didn't. Thought he made a nuisance of himself putting pressure on their CBs. Didn't do a lot with the ball but had very limited opportunity. Certainly did a lot of closing down though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Totally disagree. He was fine this season, ran Ipswich ragged away. He'll get his chance to start again, that's for sure.

Well, we'll have to disagree then. Check out his past record at Championship level. A great league 1 striker, but has not and will not make it at our level. I know it's not ALL about goals but, really, that is his main job, and he has CONSISTENTLY failed to deliver in the Championship. In all honesty, I hope he doesn't have to start for us again this season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Baldock's more of a team player.

But his primary job is to score goals. We need our strikers to score more, and not just Sam B.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, I didn't. Thought he made a nuisance of himself putting pressure on their CBs. Didn't do a lot with the ball but had very limited opportunity. Certainly did a lot of closing down though.

Apparently, Sam failed to get hold of a ball / let the defender get in front of him. Not good for such a great team player. Personally, I would have brought Sir Bob on if that is what they wanted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But don't we pay him to be a striker to score goals then?
Good strikers are known to be selfish.

Well said. Tell you what Burnley can have him, we'll have Andre Gray. I'm sure Burnley will agree because Sam is such a great team player.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I know football is about opinions but some of the stuff I read on here is laughable.
People saying Baldock is no better than CMS for starters. Ok Baldock has not scored a great deal of goals for us, but anyone can see he's a much better footballer than CMS. Great first touch, and more of a football brain. He isn't just running around like CMS either, he's making runs which was pulling teams apart at the start of the season. He himself will know he needs to improve on his goal scoring for us, but not ever striker needs to score loads of goals.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
But his primary job is to score goals. We need our strikers to score more, and not just Sam B.
Any chance you could show a bit of support to one of our players after a long lay off? He might not be the most prolific striker but he is still another option for Hughton in this crucial run in.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What 2 goals in 19 for a striker is not memorable in my opinion.
I would say Wilson has scored more than that in at least half the starts.

1 goal. Let's not pretend he scored against Bristol City, and his celebration was embarrassing. What makes it worse is that Sky Bet use the picture of him celebrating an own goal. :ffsparr:

The CMS comparison is very fair, but CMS never gave defenders a moment peace - Baldock does his running in areas which don't impact the game, it might look like he's working hard but in reality he's just running around and contributing very little indeed. He doesn't offer the team enough to warrant being anywhere near the squad.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's a wider debate buried in here that I find really interesting - should a striker be judged only by his scoring record?

People have been having the same debate about Jordan Rhodes, only Rhodes is the Yin to Baldock's Yang: a striker who scores lots of goals but doesn't do much else. He also attracts the same polarised opinions between people who just look at his record and people who take into account the other things he does.

Personally I can see the benefits of both but think the focus should be on THE TEAM scoring rather than the individual, in the same way coaches tell kids that you defend as a team you also score goals as a team. If Baldock is making runs that open up space for other players to score that should be taken onto account, just ball watching is a classic football supporter thing to do. In the early part of the season he was part of a system that was winning games, just because he wasn't the one putting the ball in the net it doesn't mean he's any less important.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
There's a wider debate buried in here that I find really interesting - should a striker be judged only by his scoring record?

People have been having the same debate about Jordan Rhodes, only Rhodes is the Yin to Baldock's Yang: a striker who scores lots of goals but doesn't do much else. He also attracts the same polarised opinions between people who just look at his record and people who take into account the other things he does.

Personally I can see the benefits of both but think the focus should be on THE TEAM scoring rather than the individual, in the same way coaches tell kids that you defend as a team you also score goals as a team. If Baldock is making runs that open up space for other players to score that should be taken onto account, just ball watching is a classic football supporter thing to do. In the early part of the season he was part of a system that was winning games, just because he wasn't the one putting the ball in the net it doesn't mean he's any less important.

Perhaps the same thinking about running around for others should be applied to players like O'Grady and Colunga then and we should hang on to them as they are prolific as Baldock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here