Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was a potentially game-defining moment.......the first one since, er , the last game when he saved the shot from Judge that had goal written all over it. DS has been brilliant this season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It was a great save, no doubt. But was it match defining? What if their keeper hadn't made his match defining save just before half time? We'd have been 3-1 up at half time. Whole game would have been different. Odds and buts. Good save but not game defining.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Love Stokie to death......but wish he would command his area more.
I agree with the earlier poster, Stockie should of came for the free kick instead of staying on his line, Goldson headed it away and it went straight to Spearing who tucked it away.
In the first half, Bolton put in a floaty free kick which hung in the air, Stockie IMHO should of came for it, instead Heskey had a free header but he put it wide.
Superb keeper and shot blocker, as he showed today.... I just wish he'd command his box more
I thought it was Stephens who inexplicably headed the ball to the penalty spot.
Although as I couldn't be much further away I'm happy to be wrong.

Bit of an odd one for Dale today, he was either the doggies dangles or a bit of a liability, with not a lot in between.

Oh and ought to mention the parry away by their 'keeper, from Kayal on the stroke of halftime.
That too was a quality save, 3-2 and good goalkeeping, t'is a funny old game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I agree with the earlier poster, Stockie should of came for the free kick instead of staying on his line, Goldson headed it away and it went straight to Spearing who tucked it away.
In the first half, Bolton put in a floaty free kick which hung in the air, Stockie IMHO should of came for it, instead Heskey had a free header but he put it wide.
Superb keeper and shot blocker, as he showed today.... I just wish he'd command his box more

No it went to Kayal first who fluffed his clearance straight to Spearing

I thought it was Stephens who inexplicably headed the ball to the penalty spot.
Although as I couldn't be much further away I'm happy to be wrong.

Bit of an odd one for Dale today, he was either the doggies dangles or a bit of a liability, with not a lot in between.

Oh and ought to mention the parry away by their 'keeper, from Kayal on the stroke of halftime.
That too was a quality save, 3-2 and good goalkeeping, t'is a funny old game.

I thought the stroke of half time save was from Murphy not Kayal but I may be wrong.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No it went to Kayal first who fluffed his clearance straight to Spearing

Couldnt remember who it was who headed it out, Goldson, Stephes or Kayal, the point is,if Stockie had come for it, the end result may have been different

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Anyone that thinks Stockdale should've claimed the free kick for the second goal needs to watch the highlights again. The first header/flick on was from 10+ yards out. It's suicidal, as a goalkeeper, to be trying to claim that through a load of bodies. He was just unlucky that Kayal fluffed his lines and none of the defenders in front of him made an effort to stop the ball as Spearing fired it back in.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
STockdale has been immense on the pitch, but he is also superb with kids who want photographs and, we must never forget, Shoreham. Proud to have him here

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I genuinely was not too concerned when their player broke through for a one on one with Stockdale, because it was Stockdale.

Absolutely this. I thought "yup, he's got it". He's INSANELY good at one on ones.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bearing in mind I've only see four live games this season plus a few on slightly iffy streams, it seems a bit incongruous to me that if we are really going for promotion this season - which I think we are - our goalkeeper is a serious contender fro player of the season?

He is my standout player of the season.

Not because of the amount of saves he has made, but because of the importance of the saves he has made. We have won most games by the odd goal. His saves have invariably been directly attributable to our points tally.
Not only this though.
His distribution is exceptional. The pinpoint kicks to Bruno and others, which have launched numerous attacks.

Then of course there's the leadership and passion on the field. His recent yellow card at Brentford for dissent was a great moment, where he got the crowd going and the team fighting. At that point we were 1 up, but not bossing the game, after that the crowd and team were buzzing.

Then there is his behaviour after the Shoreham air show.

There have been many standout players this season, and POS is going to be much more competitive than last year.
Nevertheless, Stockdale is the standout candidate IMHO.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Thought it was Ridgewell who headed it into the danger zone for Spearrring goal. Actually dunno

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He is a brilliant shot stopper and as we saw yesterday great at one on one's, his distribution is the best that I have seen from any keeper.
However he his poor with crosses and corners and relies too much on the centre halves to deal with an aerial threat when he should be commanding at the very least his six yard box. I still think he is a great asset but has a weakness that he needs to work on.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Don't know if Fulham's current goalkeeper is different gravy, but if he's a mere mortal they're at least a dozen points short of where they would have been if we hadn't had A RESULT!!!

Feb 14, 2010
He deserved the criticism last season and so far he has deserved the praise this season. Whether he has worked at his game, his fitness or whatever it is, he deserves all the plaudits he is getting and more, because it takes guts to roll up the sleeves and turn things around. Hopefully Dunk might be the same.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

No he never he headed it to Kayal who then shanked his clearence. But yes lets blame stockdale as two players failed to clear the ball.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No he never he headed it to Kayal who then shanked his clearence. But yes lets blame stockdale as two players failed to clear the ball.

Not blaming Stockdale at all.
Just seen the replays on Seagull Player and I didnt realise the ball has knocked on before Goldson headed and wasnt aware that Kayal had shanked it.
DS had no chance with the shot, must have been 5-6 players obstucting his view.
My point was that I dont think Stockie comes for crosses as much as he could.
In hindsight, after watching the replays, it was further away from him than it appeared from my seat view, so his defence should have dealt with it better..

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not blaming Stockdale at all.
Just seen the replays on Seagull Player and I didnt realise the ball has knocked on before Goldson headed and wasnt aware that Kayal had shanked it.
DS had no chance with the shot, must have been 5-6 players obstucting his view.
My point was that I dont think Stockie comes for crosses as much as he could.
In hindsight, after watching the replays, it was further away from him than it appeared from my seat view, so his defence should have dealt with it better..

I think a lot of that has to do with how deep our defensive line is under CH when we're defending. There's often not enough room for him to come and claim crosses as there's often a lot of men already in his six yard box by the time a cross comes in, meaning he has to bundle through players to get there. Easier said than done, albeit I agree with you in that that seems to be his weakest area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here