Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Clark Five.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Like many in the 60's I enjoyed the music of the DC5. More particularly, I was a huge fan of Mike Smith, singer keyboard player and songwriter. I always had my favourites in the sixties bands, the guys I felt were the talent rather than the workers: Lennon (for me), Jones in the Stones, Nash in the Hollies and the inimitable Mike Smith. DC was allegedly something of a Colonel Parker figure, often described as a ruthless businessman running a successful money making machine, although he may have regretted withdrawing them from the market for a couple of decades. There's some interesting stuff around the band on t'internet including a minor local interest snippet regarding Smith for local footie fans to spot. But no-one can deny the infectious stomping power of many of their hits, the powerful vocals and keyboard work of Smith, the driving bass and drums and honking sax. There may be an interesting backstory to tell one day, but they were hugely successful and created some infectious music with universal appeal at the time.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Even today,do to the local sports centre any weekend full of young uns and bang this on turntable and see what happens#

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've always thought Dave Clark had one of those faces that you just wanted to punch. Always looked far too pleased with himself sitting behind his drum kit for my liking. I know it's totally irrational but some people just have that effect on you. I wasn't a great fan of their music which I suppose didn't help.

It's obvious that Dave was simply "Glad all Over." Not sure how he felt on the under bits.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought they were crap then and nothing has happened since to change my mind. The adoption of "Glad All Over" by a certain abhorrent bunch of caravan dwelling non-entities has merely re-enforced my original opinion.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Saw them 'live' a couple of times in the 60's, and good they were. However the biggest memory was when 'Glad All Over' was big and on the juke box in 'The Zodiak', St. James's St. All us bikers [Rockers in those days] of Southern Observers M/C Club used to go in there Friday nights. If you know the song you can understand when we used to stamp our bike booted feet hard on the floor, only the problem was it caused the ceiling of the shop below [Hilton's Shoes] to shed it's plaster. Needless to say the record was soon removed.

That record and the follow-up "Bits and Pieces" were banned from many dancehalls for that reason. Of course Palace fans used to thump the old wooden advertising boards (especially the younger element did) in time with the music. Happy days.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I thought they were crap then and nothing has happened since to change my mind. The adoption of "Glad All Over" by a certain abhorrent bunch of caravan dwelling non-entities has merely re-enforced my original opinion.

Really, are they playing it in Calais? That's tragic. Almost as bad a Albion missing out on promotion this year would be.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Like many in the 60's I enjoyed the music of the DC5. More particularly, I was a huge fan of Mike Smith, singer keyboard player and songwriter. I always had my favourites in the sixties bands, the guys I felt were the talent rather than the workers: Lennon (for me), Jones in the Stones, Nash in the Hollies and the inimitable Mike Smith. DC was allegedly something of a Colonel Parker figure, often described as a ruthless businessman running a successful money making machine, although he may have regretted withdrawing them from the market for a couple of decades. There's some interesting stuff around the band on t'internet including a minor local interest snippet regarding Smith for local footie fans to spot. But no-one can deny the infectious stomping power of many of their hits, the powerful vocals and keyboard work of Smith, the driving bass and drums and honking sax. There may be an interesting backstory to tell one day, but they were hugely successful and created some infectious music with universal appeal at the time.

The first single they released prior to Glad all Over they were called The Dave Clark Five featuring Mike Smith.
Dave Clark paid the band a fixed wage during their popular times,that is why they all had to get Jobs when the band broke up.
There were several rumours floating around in the 60s that Dave Clark did not play the drums on their records. It must be pure coincidence that when I saw them live he dropped his drumsticks and the drum beat kept playing!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

This interested me. Is the local football link that Mike Smith's former partner, Jane Geerts, is related to the long time manager of the Brighton Boys team?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

This interested me. Is the local football link that Mike Smith's former partner, Jane Geerts, is related to the long time manager of the Brighton Boys team?

Yes indeed. She was Tony Geerts daughter, sadly passed away in early April.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here