Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American visitors

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Don't tell them that, despite Britain being a civilised country, they aren't allowed to take their beer to their seats; they'd never fall for, or put up with, that nonsense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tell them it is considered HILARIOUS, and earns a certain KUDOS, to be the first to shout "GET IN THE GOAL" when the players take kick off.
Yep, but you don't say 'Get' out loud, so it's just 'in the goal!'

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Haven't read the whole thread so apols if this has already been mentioned, but tell them that crowds in England actually WATCH the game. Unlike at US soccer/NFL/NBA/NHL games we don't:-

Randomly get up for food at any point during the first or second half regardless of what is happening on the pitch.

Arrive 15 mins late out of choice and then annoy everyone around them by taking half an hour to sit down.

Scoff ludicrous amounts of food during the game (they would regard pies as starters)

Ask stupid questions to the person sitting in the next seat. These may or may not be about the actual game.

Cause huge delays at the food kiosks by ordering 20 portions of everything even there are only 2 of them.

I still can't get used to this behaviour in the US - I must've been to over 100 games of various sports and US sports fans still drive me round the bend!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
There are NONE of these.

3205100_o.gif

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Unlike USA, they wont need ID to buy a drink. I had to go through an entire basketball game dry because, at 57 years old, I didn't have any ID.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
There is a rule called off-side, don't ask, we don't understand it either.

Don't worry if half the stand gets up to leave on 40 and 80 mins, that is normal behaviour there isn't a fire.

In the ground there will be people supporting the other team, that is because we don't have to fly 1000 miles for an away game.

We have to play everyone in our league/division home and away, we don't just randomly play teams from other divisions.

Any club that has goal music are tinpot.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Cricket as has been mentioned by some americans as unusual as well.

5 days to play the game and it sometimes ends in a draw? Explain that to me limey !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Make sure everything is absolutely clear to them beforehand. Back in the Goldstone days I took some American visitors from work to a match. The various questions were:

I thought we were going to see Brighton, who are The Seagulls?

Who is Hove then?

OK, but who are The Albion then?

We're in Hove, I thought we were going to see Brighton?

etc etc

They also found my nickname (same as username) extremely amusing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The stadium is designed such that each person is expected to occupy ONE seat.

If the seat isn't big enough that will be because he is a fat nobber, not because the seats are too small. Should he require more than one seat, be advised that he can have 2 or 3 seats for himself if he waits 18 months and goes to watch a game up the road at Palace once they have been relegated to the Championship.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Unlike USA, they wont need ID to buy a drink. I had to go through an entire basketball game dry because, at 57 years old, I didn't have any ID.

And a lot of venues in the States limit you to ordering 2 beers per person - Yanks love their rules and regulations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here