Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday match - friends for a tenner

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seems like an excellent offer to me. The STH would be going anyway, and the two friends can sit together elsewhere, whats the big deal about ALL sitting together ? Meet up before and after for beerage, jobs a goodun. That's a couple of people attending who probably wouldn't have otherwise. Well done the club :clap2:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I couldn't agree more. I sit in the middle of WSL and I might well have been attracted by the offer, but no way am I going to give up my prime seat, to go and sit in a corner with my mates, and I know that they wouldn't come unless we all sat together.

A nice idea, but maybe it needs to be rethoughtout, so that maybe the two friends could pay a supplement and sit in better positioned seats.
Oh yeah, let's sell the most expensive seats for a tenner just so you can sit with mates.

Just imagine they sell out all the cheap seats and suddenly people realise the crowd is a near sell out but only middle WSL tickets are left available and they can either pay full price or a tenner for possibly (and it isn't) the best seat in the house but they have to sit next to you! I know where I would choose!

They want ALL seats full so, sell the cheap ones even cheaper and get the mugs in on the dear ones when they announce in The Argus it's a near full capacity for the mighty Sheffield Wednesday![emoji106] 😄

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
STHs can bring two friends for £10 each to the Wednesday :lolol: game on 8 March, according to an email I just received. Or at least they can if they want to put them in the North Stand, South Stand or West Lower corners. I sit in the middle of the WSU so I guess I'll wave my mates off at the turnstile and tell them to go and slum it with the peasants.

It's a decent offer, price wise but what is the EFFING point emailing it to STH's not in those areas? How many are going to take it up? I appreciate this is because other areas are more expensive and have a lot of STHs already in them but football is a social game best enjoyed together. Why the **** would I take this up? :shrug:

Might bung a few on the gate though.

I am aware of quite a few 'peasants' who moved away from the WSU to the lesser valued viewing areas. Prefer it they do, so invite your mates, drop them off in the chavzone and collect them afterwards. Everyone happy. Welcome them we will.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quote: "It's a decent offer, price wise but what is the EFFING point emailing it to STH's not in those areas?".
Perhaps it is easier to just send out the message to all ST holders rather than sift out those that are seated in areas where the £10 tickets can not be used.
Maybe unlike you, some ST holders in the same area as you might want to purchase them for friends that can not afford to go to full price games and are not bothered/or want to sit in the areas up for grabs....or with the "peasants" as you stated.

I am aware of quite a few 'peasants' who moved away from the WSU to the lesser valued viewing areas. Prefer it they do, so invite your mates, drop them off in the chavzone and collect them afterwards. Everyone happy. Welcome them we will.

NSC's irony meter is on the blink

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seems like an excellent offer to me. The STH would be going anyway, and the two friends can sit together elsewhere, whats the big deal about ALL sitting together ? Meet up before and after for beerage, jobs a goodun. That's a couple of people attending who probably wouldn't have otherwise. Well done the club :clap2:

Simply that our group that has a lot of kids in it turns in to a group of adults for evening games. Same group each time and the people around us know them too so it's a little community. Between Sky and things like the marathon there are now more evening games than we can upgrade the kids' tickets for so it's more expensive for them. However, they could save £20 a seat for the Wednesday game if they choose not to sit near us, which is half the reason they come.

I said in the OP it would bring in extra bums on seats which is no bad thing and that anything bringing down costs was also good. However, I can't remember a season where its been a greater PITA to do something that we used to do 20 odd times a season every season at the Goldstone.

Why not make the deal for the whole ground if the aim is to get people in. There can't be that many seats that can be purchased game by game in WSU for example meaning the club wouldn't lose that much and some people would naturally disburse if they wanted the offer

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who remembers Freddie Goodwin's lovely, community-spirited gesture last time the club came up with a similar offer?

In the same spirit, I thought I'd buy up my entitlement of tickets, and gift them to some grey-haired old pensioner who doesn't get out much and hasn't been to an Albion game in decades.

Hey, [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION]: what are you doing on Tuesday 8th March?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Beat me to it, Edna. I had so much good karma and interest from that little gesture and am looking to do something similar although an evening game makes things a little more difficult.

Ideally, like last time, I'd like somebody who's not normally able to go, for whatever reason.

As for why the tickets aren't available everywhere, well maybe there's not the seats everywhere especially in areas full of STH's.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simply that our group that has a lot of kids in it turns in to a group of adults for evening games. Same group each time and the people around us know them too so it's a little community. Between Sky and things like the marathon there are now more evening games than we can upgrade the kids' tickets for so it's more expensive for them. However, they could save £20 a seat for the Wednesday game if they choose not to sit near us, which is half the reason they come.

I said in the OP it would bring in extra bums on seats which is no bad thing and that anything bringing down costs was also good. However, I can't remember a season where its been a greater PITA to do something that we used to do 20 odd times a season every season at the Goldstone.

Why not make the deal for the whole ground if the aim is to get people in. There can't be that many seats that can be purchased game by game in WSU for example meaning the club wouldn't lose that much and some people would naturally disburse if they wanted the offer

No offence GB, and in mitigation I am on he red wine this evening. But although you say simply...I've read this three times and I dunno what you're on about :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Chris could LET me sit NEXT to him on the BENCH , I wouldn't ANNOY him too MUCH

Maybe I could have arranged it next time im down, but I would be too scared you would call him DULLARD to his face, if he made a substitution or something you disagreed with.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
:lolol:

That's probably the part of the point. There's nothing wrong with wanting to bung more on the gate or make football cheaper for people, I'm all for that.

On evening games though I do already take a few mates (yes, I have some astoundingly) who take upgrades on our kids' tickets who are getting an early night before school. This is more than a tenner so more revenue to the club yet the club has to put some sort of limit on the number of times you can do it, which Sky are now determined to make us break. The cheap deal remaining seems to be to scoot them off to the other end of the ground.

It's not much of a thing in the grand scheme of things but modern football perplexes me. I really just want to be able to turn up five minutes before kick off, pay a fiver or so and stand with who I want while getting through half a pack of Bensons.

Stop messing me around, can I be your friend or not?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£20 East & West and I'm in! ...When will they realise the greater potential of a more inclusive offer? :(

The East and West are largely filled already, primarily by STH's, we're getting circa 25k every week.

Getting other sections of the ground filled is the objective. And you can't get much more inclusive than a tenner a pop, shirley.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The East and West are largely filled already, primarily by STH's, we're getting circa 25k every week.

Getting other sections of the ground filled is the objective. And you can't get much more inclusive than a tenner a pop, shirley.

This. They've got it spot on IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here