Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is the Albion's greatest ever cult hero...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Vicente.

For the sheer, 'how on EARTH have we managed to sign him?'.

I can't imagine a time when we'll sign a player who had one stage or another in their career was GENUINELY world class.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Various reasons whilst growing up watching Brighton to today:
Peter Grummitt, Peter O'Sullivan, Teddy Maybank, Peter Ward, Robbie Reinault, Jimmy Case, Bobby Zamora and especially Calde

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hans Kraay.

Daft, Dutch, Dangerous. Didn't give a monkey's. Once ran the length of the pitch to celebrate a goal with us.

PG

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Crumplin - John Barnes was never before or after, marked out of a game so well.

From sarcastic chants of Genius when he was crap to god like chants of Genius when he showed he was , well a football Genius.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
On a personal level Mark Barham , as a whole wow he's played for us thing then Frank Worthington , the only player I've ever seen comb his hair on the bench .

Oct 25, 2003
this is slightly encroaching on a poll based competition I had planned to introduce following the WHC entitled "Who is the FLAIREST of them all?". It's basically a quest to discover the flairest ever albion player. Many of the names in this thread are sure to feature

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Johnny Crumplin has to be up there. Peter Smith and Hans Kray too.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Mike Small was one of my early cult heroes, and I think he ticks all the boxes.

Wasn't the greatest footballer, but certainly knew where the net was, and one of the best headers of the ball I have ever seen.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not interested in definition of "cult".

My long list of Albion special favourites (1976-2016) roughly chronological but as they come to mind:

Peter Ward
Nobby Horton
Eric Steele

(Note to self: "Are you really going to spend the next half an hour typing out a list of your 50 favourite Albion players...?" :))

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It was Tony Towner for me, just the player that first captured my Albion imagination and I thought I'd want to be like. Shame I ended up more like Razor Ruddock, in both style and build!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not interested in definition of "cult".

My long list of Albion special favourites (1976-2016) roughly chronological but as they come to mind:

Peter Ward
Nobby Horton
Eric Steele

(Note to self: "Are you really going to spend the next half an hour typing out a list of your 50 favourite Albion players...?" :))

Start a different thread, then.

Players like Nobby and Ward who are popular with everyone or whose quality is immediately obvious cannot, by definition, be cult heroes. It has to be someone whose appeal is slightly mysterious to the majority, at least in the first place.

Oct 25, 2003
Any thoughts on Baz Savage? There weren't too many other moonwalking footballers.

yeah he was a big one for me. He had that classic lower league striker attribute of going on solo runs without ever being in control of the ball (his goal away to Hartlepool is evidence of this). In that game he also did his moonwalk several metres away from the grieving relatives of a hartlepool player who had unfortunately passed away not long before that game (I'm sure Savage didn't do this on purpose as he came across as a decent guy) which sparked a bit of a BRAWL

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Vicente (just never quite got over that was THE Vicente playing for MY team)

Paddy McCourt. Looked like a tramp, played like a talented tramp. The ultimate CAMEO player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here