Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you donate old clothes to charity shops ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just had a massive clear out of old clothes, was going to Luzz them in the bin, but thought will give to a charity shop, question is, do the staff have first pick before they go on sale or do the public get a chance to buy therefore contributing to said charity ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I always stick them in those charity shop clothes bins if they're in decent condition. We had one in the basement of my building in Brighton, which was pretty handy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't image the staff steal all the clothes when they come in, they probably have to pay the same price anyone else would.

theboybilly

I took 11 pairs of the missus' old shoes down the tip the other day but before I could put them in the bin provided a bloke asked if he could take them off my hands. He even took my old 'football' jacket even though the pockets were giving up the ghost. I suppose it was just about repairable but it had had it;s day and served me well at loads of away games

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I can't imagine the sort of people who volunteer to work in charity shops are the sort to nick the clothes?

I've taken plenty of stuff to them previously. Even if somebody does pinch it, it doesn't really bother me. Rather somebody else got use out of my old stuff than it going straight into landfill.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The staff might get first choice, but they would still have to pay, I would imagine (as has already been said).

And I think that if what is donated is sub-standard - i.e. not suitable to go on sale - they would probably have the means of sending stuff for recycling, which would still earn them money.

You could well find textile recycling bins locally for the real cr@p.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I can't imagine the sort of people who volunteer to work in charity shops are the sort to nick the clothes?

I've taken plenty of stuff to them previously. Even if somebody does pinch it, it doesn't really bother me. Rather somebody else got use out of my old stuff than it going straight into landfill.

I didn't mean they would nick the clothes, more a perk of the job, which is fine by me because they are volunteering anyway ! It was just a genuine question.

Philbag70

Dec 19, 2015
Battle, 1066 country
My girlfriend is a manager of a Sue Ryder shop and i volunteer there most weeks. The clothes donations her shop recieves, get bagged up and put in 'pens' ready for sorting. When they get sorted, they're usually steam cleaned, logged on the computer system and put out in the shop. All the volunteers ( me aside ) are vulnerable adults( and the occasional prisoner from Ford Open ) and i can say 100% nothing gets stolen and the staff don't get first dibs. Interestingly, the staff at Sue Ryder are asked not to use Ebay - presumably to lessen any hint of temptation!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't mean they would nick the clothes, more a perk of the job, which is fine by me because they are volunteering anyway ! It was just a genuine question.

Oh fair one :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. Bag loads (that I can no longer fit into, owing to a 'growth spurt'. Ahem.)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
the staff at Sue Ryder are asked not to use Ebay - presumably to lessen any hint of temptation!

I've just finished a stint at PDSA head office (IT projects) and during my time had to roll out new PC's to all the ~150 retail (charity) shops.
Did a couple of visits to "see the coal face" and most of the people are really dedicated to the cause [unlikely to be scroats]

However, the shop PC has a shortcut to eBay which is regularly used to try and establish the value of a given item so it can be priced up realistically by shop staff.
PDSA also has its own eBay store where it sells new items
No idea if the workers are asked not to have their own eBay accounts.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A mate of mine's bird was manager of a very well known charity shop, she used to take all the best stuff for herself and him.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Any time I'm having a clear out its always gone to shelter's charity shop in Worthing, now that's shut I've taken some bits and bobs down to the Worthing Cat Welfare one in the Guildbourne because that's where my last two moms have come from.

I'd find it interesting to find out if anyone from here genuinely buys clothes from charity shops? I do quite often if there's something i like - on the road where I live there's about 6 of them so if I've gone for a wander I'll have a look. Always surprised there are as many fat gits out there as me to be honest!!!!

D

Deleted User X18H

We do. We put them in a bag they push through the door.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Always take my old stuff to the charity shop of my choice. You can't always go by appearances of course, but I very much doubt the staff would be up to anything dodgy. All are volunteers, both at the shop and the animal shelter the shop supports.

Most shops won't take anything electrical.

Oh, my £6 hardly worn suit is still in the wardrobe in immaculate condition. :thumbsup: Given that I only wear a suit for the odd wedding and funeral, no way am I forking out for an armani or similar.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here