Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories CAUGHT out in ELECTION expenses SCANDAL

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Perhaps people will be (rightly) concerned if it is proved that the Conservatives have exceeded spending allowances in three by elections. (and possibly one general election constituency if Cricks insinuation about tonights story on CH 4 news is correct.)

I think the Tories still lost two of the by elections and won the other by a considerable margin so any supposed wrongdoing didn't have any noticeable effect. Not that this excuses any alleged wrongdoing but extrapolating these actions to suggest a widespread disregard for our democracy and talk of dictatorship is possibly over egging the pudding!

It is possibly over egging the pudding to suggest talk of a dictatorship, but not, IMO, to suggest a widespread disregard for our democracy. I was making the comparison of a dictatorship with what has supposedly been going on, to contrast against the claims that this OK because someone did it six years ago who now likes Jeremy Corbyn; for which I think the comparison is relatively fair!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
By doing this they have undermined the process of 'free and fair' elections and is a practice more akin to the acts of a state dictatorship than to the acts of one crazy woman acting independently six years ago. To try and undermine these accusations on that basis really fails to grasp what has actually happened!

blimey the hyperbole is strong with this one. over spending on a by-election due to poor administration (which is what this appears to be) is equivalent to dictatorship? meanwhile a large number of vote rigging scandals don't attract this much ire.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
its illegal
so if I came round your house and nicked the garden tools to use on my garden that would be "over egging the pudding" would it

OH I forgot to say apart from being illegal its sly and cheating

You missed the point, these are allegations made by a news program.

If the local press claimed you had come round my house and nicked tools from my shed would it be ok to find you guilty and call you a sly cheating so and so or would it be best to wait for the relevant authorities to substantiate these claims?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
blimey the hyperbole is strong with this one. over spending on a by-election due to poor administration (which is what this appears to be) is equivalent to dictatorship? meanwhile a large number of vote rigging scandals don't attract this much ire.

I was making a comparison that the quite frankly ridiculous ascertain that one lone independent woman six years ago was similar to this, and therefore because that happened and that lady likes Corbyn, then everything is OK!

Edit: and by picking up on that point (wrongly), rather then the actual issue at hand, i.e. corruption of democracy, is staggering; people don't seem to care or appreciate what happened!

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Surprised more people aren't concerned about this.

You have the party that has been in Government for the past six years having engaged in corrupt and illegal acts in order to maintain a position of being in power.

You can argue that in this instance it was only three by-elections and theretofore doesn't matter, but it fundamentally shows that this party has no regard for the system of which it is supposed to govern.

By doing this they have undermined the process of 'free and fair' elections and is a practice more akin to the acts of a state dictatorship than to the acts of one crazy woman acting independently six years ago. To try and undermine these accusations on that basis really fails to grasp what has actually happened!

trouble is mate what exactly can be done about it, ?? i'd like to see some justice applied as so would everyone else but when the government is a law unto itself it appears there is very little chance.

continuously protesting outside downing street with large numbers seems to be the only way this message will get heard, exposure on CH4 unfortunately wont be enough.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
trouble is mate what exactly can be done about it, ?? i'd like to see some justice applied as so would everyone else but when the government is a law unto itself it appears there is very little chance.

continuously protesting outside downing street with large numbers seems to be the only way this message will get heard, exposure on CH4 unfortunately wont be enough.

Surely a re-run of these bi-elections is the only option, if wrong doing is found.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You missed the point, these are allegations made by a news program.

If the local press claimed you had come round my house and nicked tools from my shed would it be ok to find you guilty and call you a sly cheating so and so or would it be best to wait for the relevant authorities to substantiate these claims?

you missed the point too
they are all lying, sly cheats
and the difference is I would'nt come round your house and steal your garden tools
the tories might and probably have and smirk about it

SAC

May 21, 2014
This (from the article) is depressing

The vast majority of these hotel stays - 734 in the regulated periods - were booked under the home address of Marion Little, a senior staffer at Conservative Central Office awarded an OBE in this year's New Year's Honours List for her work during the campaigns.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Any elections they have been caught then the Tories should not be allowed to stand in the by election, that would stop it

Labour still wouldn't get in. Unless of course you barred all other parties then they might get 10% of the vote with all others abstaining

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Surely a re-run of these bi-elections is the only option, if wrong doing is found.

in a perfect world yes,
this happens not just in bi-elections but in general elections too ,.. in thanet south they prevented farage a seat in parliament, again nothing was done about that.

the whole thing is one big legalized scam, first past the post and postal voting will always suit the bigger parties, that is why neither labour or tory will ever change such a system .

1066gull

uploadfromtaptalk1455051043190.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
you missed the point too
they are all lying, sly cheats
and the difference is I would'nt come round your house and steal your garden tools
the tories might and probably have and smirk about it

Some politicians (in all parties) are , some become MP's for the best of reasons and there are numerous levels of motivation/probity and incompetence just like most jobs.

Not sure what job you do or did but I'm guessing there were/are corrupt, incompetent shysters and committed honest motivated people. The colour of the rosette is irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here