Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Apparently" England's new shirt for Euro 2016

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Crappy FIFA rule, wasn't it? They wanted teams to have kits in one predominant colour, something to do with TV. No idea what though.

No doubt there's some bent motive that nets them a load of cash.

I wouldn't put anything past them, but shirley to christ countries can pick their own colour schemes. What possible difference does it make if the shorts are a different colour to the shirts ??

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't put anything past them, but shirley to christ countries can pick their own colour schemes. What possible difference does it make if the shorts are a different colour to the shirts ??

No idea. But in the last World Cup, loads of teams played in single colour schemes. Not Brazil, obviously. They didn't want to upset the Brazilians.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Surely it's time. This time more than other time:

attachment.php

Attachments

• england-h-80-83.gif
    england-h-80-83.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 460

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

They wanted all countries to have a kit that was predominantly one colour for HD television.

At least we have worn white shorts before - it was the likes of Germany and Spain who had to change years and years of tradition to comply

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They wanted all countries to have a kit that was predominantly one colour for HD television.

At least we have worn white shorts before - it was the likes of Germany and Spain who had to change years and years of tradition to comply

Again - what difference does it make ? HD gives us pin-sharp pictures whatever the teams are wearing. It wasn't exactly difficult before HD either. I'd be interested to see an official statement on this, because the reasons behind it, if this is really the reason, seems to me to be absolute bobbins.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wrong, our colours are red white and blue although I agree not the washed out pale blue they are showing. Perhaps if the sleeves had the traditional blue that would be better

No, our colours are definitely red and white, I had a look at the St George flag to confirm the blue in it, nope none there. I have never understood why we as a nation had blue shorts for so long with our kit. We are red and white, no shade of blue whatsoever.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No, our colours are definitely red and white, I had a look at the St George flag to confirm the blue in it, nope none there. I have never understood why we as a nation had blue shorts for so long with our kit. We are red and white, no shade of blue whatsoever.

What about Italy then? Shouldn't they play in green white and red?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I know England have a bespoke shirt, but it usually has some sort of link to the overall Nike (or whichever manufacturer they use at the time) templates.

I'd be amazed if the England shirt looked anything like this. Apart from being white.

I wouldn't be too surprised. Nike have been more adventurous lately:

Attachments

• USA-SS-AWAY-STADIUM-JSY-640872_480_A.jpg
    USA-SS-AWAY-STADIUM-JSY-640872_480_A.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    213.9 KB · Views: 156

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They are.

When England used to ( a little arrogantly ) use the union flag as an England flag, then the blue was a part of that, but it doesn't seem to have a place anymore now that we've reclaimed the St George flag.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about Italy then? Shouldn't they play in green white and red?

Italy has it's own reason - blue is the colour of Savoia, which was the ruling house of Italy from 1861 until 1946. Until then, the country's flag always had the Savoy coat of arms on it. It is only since the Italian Republic was established post-war that the tricolor has been the national flag.

I'm sure they've probably debated whether to change, and decided against it.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway

I believe the blue comes from the fa's badge. There's a bit of previous of England using sky blue, mostly with away kits and a bit of lining/piping in the 90's.

Can't complain about it too much. There'll be another kit before you know it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Italy has it's own reason - blue is the colour of Savoia, which was the ruling house of Italy from 1861 until 1946. Until then, the country's flag always had the Savoy coat of arms on it. It is only since the Italian Republic was established post-war that the tricolor has been the national flag.

I'm sure they've probably debated whether to change, and decided against it.

Similar scenario to the Netherlands and the House of Orange.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Again - what difference does it make ? HD gives us pin-sharp pictures whatever the teams are wearing. It wasn't exactly difficult before HD either. I'd be interested to see an official statement on this, because the reasons behind it, if this is really the reason, seems to me to be absolute bobbins.

it doesn't matter. its a myth that's emerged to reason away a daft over-application of FIFA rule about kits being "predominantly" one colour. to be fair there have been some shocking kits and i think thats what they were trying to target

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here