Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby sack Paul Clement

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you think something else is going on Mikey? It just seems a weird statement from your club, let alone the sacking and the unknown(to me anyway) replacements

I'm not convinced. I think that's just smoke & mirrors: if they fire him after only 8 games without a win, it looks like they've lost their nerve as a board of directors (and made a bad decision to appoint him in the first place). If they mysteriously allude to "other" factors, then it allows fans to think there's something else going on, something with which to justify this decision.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Crazy move. The chairman started this with his stupid antics after going into the dressing room when they drew 1-1 in January and then cancelled a trip to Dubai. That was just at the end of that brilliant run they had been on. Talk about a ridiculous way to motivate to team. It was a Phil Brown 'players on the pitch' moment.

Good for us I hope!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you think something else is going on Mikey? It just seems a weird statement from your club, let alone the sacking and the unknown(to me anyway) replacement.
Derby must be seen as a plum job by out of work managers

I do tbh, but not sure what! I think the timing is odd and you have to hope that Wassall isn't really in the role till end of season, he only really lasted 45 mins in his last stint and we were 1-4 down at half time! Plus, he's been fantastic for the academy so hope he stays in that role. I suspect there is someone else in the wings.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Will their caretaker boss be able to pick them up. I am not sure he will This could go either way.

On the face of it the second decision is even more batshit mental than the first.

Darren Wassall had been coach of the Derby U-18s since 2009-10, until last summer when he became their U-21 coach. It is the equivalence of firing Chris Hughton and replacing him with Simon Rusk.

One can only assume that Wassall's coaching credentials must be very highly rated at County. A bit like Clement's coaching credentials were extremely highly rated at Real Madrid....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think this, and the following post, is a bit of NSC phenomenon, read loads on here about how arrogant we are and how we feel we have a sense of entitlement which is basically garbage. Couldn't be further from the truth, but I think if you say it on here enough it becomes an accepted fact! Any talk of thrashing MK dons (I don't know of 'Rams Talk') was definitely more in hope than expectation!!

Before our game with Derby this season I wrote a preview piece for Derby County Blog. As part of some (admittedly cursory) research I had a look round Derby's forums and twitter accounts to see what you were saying about us. I got no hint of arrogance but rather a mixture of nerves and people looking forward to a big match and trying to support their team. Compared to Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: it was positively DEMURE.

Unfortunately my goodwill only lasted until the moment you lot booed Solly March off while he was being carried to his season's end on a stretcher.

OK on the internet, classless in the ground.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
1 game to judge, but in 9 of their 13 wins they've won by more than 1 goal, they beat Hull 2 nil away....I dunno, I haven't seen much of them, but it seems far from a sackable season...

Fair point, and you will hear a lot of noise about the decision - Basically because he's a nice guy - But you'll find few that will honestly tell you we were playing convincingly. I said similar when were being touted as the 'ones to catch' on here (with Boro at the time...)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No! No! Please god No! They'll get a short term promotion expert like the ****ing Worzel now! Shit news.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Fair point, and you will hear a lot of noise about the decision - Basically because he's a nice guy - But you'll find few that will honestly tell you we were playing convincingly

I agree, Clough wasn't up to it .... oops sorry Schteve

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Letting a manager spend £26.5million then not letting him have the whole season, makes sense.

Bucharest49

May 12, 2014
Derby fans not happy ..

YorkshireRam
Members
2,821 posts
Posted 45 minutes ago
Ridiculous, what was it we heard at the start of the season, ''Clement will not be sacked if we fail to achieve promotion this season''. As stupid as it sounds, promotion isn't out of reach yet, or at least it wasn't until we pulled this stunt...

How is Wassall until the end of the season going to be better than Clement??
reveldevil, Ramarena, Ram@Lincoln and 7 others like this

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We dodged a real bullet with Clement.

The Real Madrid cone arranger never had the experience of this league which was required.

Derby have been seriously under achieving, and can really kick on from here.

However, they appear to have put an unknown in charge for the rest of the season :facepalm:

If they rethink and bring in an experienced man, they'll be a real threat.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Good, the panic button has been pushed. As long as they don't get Pearson they'll probably continue to feck up

Don't understand why the haven't gone straight for him! Strange appointment considering how long left in the season....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We dodged a real bullet with Clement.

The Real Madrid cone arranger never had the experience of this league which was required.

Derby have been seriously under achieving, and can really kick on from here.

However, they appear to have put an unknown in charge for the rest of the season :facepalm:

If they rethink and bring in an experienced man, they'll be a real threat.

Has a rookie manager ever got a team promoted from the Championship?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Wow - all about money - everyone at the top desperate for the Premier League wooden spoon next season said to be 99 million pounds just for finishing bottom - plus I imagine parachute payments

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The Derby chairman sounds like a real goon. Employ a manager and then sack him because he isn't playing the style of football that the Chairman wants. What nonsense. Surely it's up to the first team manager/ coach to determine tactics. They were on a brilliant run before Christmas and now they sack him because he isn't abiding to their footballing strategy. More like, we said we were making a long term strategic hire with Clement and we won't sack him even if we don't get promoted... A few bad results.... Yes let's get rid.... Oh, just a minute I'm going to look silly if I do that now after what I said. Let's imply it was because of some other reason. Also lets imply we don't have anyone lined up by giving the reserve team coach the job til the end of the season. Yeah, right! Anyway, I can always go into the dressing room and give the players some motivational input. The Chairman can obviously make some money out of a computer game but not sure he can run a football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here