Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Chinese New Year everybody!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
2016 is the year of the Fire Monkey.

I am going to celebrate tonight with my usual takeaway of sweet and sour pork, barbecue ribs and Singapore noodles :dunce::)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Question: What's the best authentic Chinese restaurant in B&H? So, not the best for a westerner, but the best for Chinese people who want authentic meals.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Question: What's the best authentic Chinese restaurant in B&H? So, not the best for a westerner, but the best for Chinese people who want authentic meals.

Not sure if there are any in Brighton. I know that some Chinese restaurants in London offer a separate menu of authentic dishes in Mandarin.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Good friends is excellent. At least it was last time I went. They have a separate Cantonese, possibly Mandarin, menu too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My wife is Chinese and she says China Garden on Preston Street is the only good one.
China Garden is my favourite, but the feedback I've had from the Chinese is that it's very western. Has your wife been here a long time and acclimatised?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I can't say I particularly appreciated it at the time, but there's one on the left side of Queens Road as you look up towards Brighton station.

They have two menus in there. One is the one we're all used to, with prawn sesame toast, Singapore noodles, crispy fried beef strips and so on.

Then there's another, much longer menu, full of chicken's feet, eels, offal and a whole load of stuff that was almost entirely unappealing to my Western palate. Judging by the number of diners of what I would guess to be Chinese origin, I'd say this was deemed by them to be a satisfactorily authentic Chinese menu.

Won't be going back there myself any time soon, the service was terrible and the ambience...er....a little lacking. But plenty of the clientele appeared to be enjoying themselves, so...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can't say I particularly appreciated it at the time, but there's one on the left side of Queens Road as you look up towards Brighton station.

They have two menus in there. One is the one we're all used to, with prawn sesame toast, Singapore noodles, crispy fried beef strips and so on.

Then there's another, much longer menu, full of chicken's feet, eels, offal and a whole load of stuff that was almost entirely unappealing to my Western palate. Judging by the number of diners of what I would guess to be Chinese origin, I'd say this was deemed by them to be a satisfactorily authentic Chinese menu.

Won't be going back there myself any time soon, the service was terrible and the ambience...er....a little lacking. But plenty of the clientele appeared to be enjoying themselves, so...

Sechuan Garden. We have a Chinese lodger, who took us there a couple of years ago. The menu is authentic but she said she won't be going back there as it was found to dirty, allegedly.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Chinese food v chubby?

Why is it uncommon to find a chubby Chinese person yet when us westerners scoff their scrummy nosh on a regular basis, chubby is the norm?

Must be a different menu shirley?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good excuse to have a take-away tonight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here