Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool fans protest

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The person on the radio who said that going to football is akin to going to the Opera is wrong.

When you go to the Opera or the Theatre the audience must remain silent for the cast to perform. At a football match the audience is actively encouraged to cheer thier to team help them to perform.

Don't think this parallel stands up: if the audience is too small for the opera or theatre, the show doesn't go on (I've had my ticket refunded as not enough tickets have been sold before) but a football team couldn't cancel a game if there are no spectators. Indeed Brighton were once forced to play York behind closed doors

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Don't think this parallel stands up: if the audience is too small for the opera or theatre, the show doesn't go on (I've had my ticket refunded as not enough tickets have been sold before) but a football team couldn't cancel a game if there are no spectators. Indeed Brighton were once forced to play York behind closed doors

It wasn't behind closed doors. It was on a Thursday morning at 11am (or something like that) with barely anyone there - anyone know the 'official' attendance that day? I know York had to win to stay up - which they did quite easily.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It wasn't behind closed doors. It was on a Thursday morning at 11am (or something like that) with barely anyone there - anyone know the 'official' attendance that day? I know York had to win to stay up - which they did quite easily.

Yes fair enough - although teams have been ordered to play behind closed doors (even that wasn't true on this occasion). But the general point is that league fixtures would have to be completed even if no spectator turns up - that's different from opera or theatre which do need an audience

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure this has already been mentioned, but a Liverpool fan was being interviewed on Talksport the other evening about what he thought.
He said that him and his son were given flyers on the impending walkout, he replied he would not be doing so.
Had a good point to give, that instead of walking out at matches, hit the club in the pocket by not buying merchandise at the clubs shop, food and drink outlets.
Which I thought was better.

Would agree with that or, leave before half time. Not too difficult to up sticks with only 13 minutes left and your team 2-0 up against relegation fodder.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The person on the radio who said that going to football is akin to going to the Opera is wrong.

When you go to the Opera or the Theatre the audience must remain silent for the cast to perform. At a football match the audience is actively encouraged to cheer thier to team help them to perform.

A football club is a partnership between the team and its supporters, when they perform well we cheer, and equally when they are not performing, we cheer them on and they can raise they performance.

All the time we hear quotes from players and managers saying how much the support from the crowd helps, yet many club's owners only see us as customers, and forget that we are also the twelfth man.

You can easily go to the opera for less money than a premiership football match, and even cheaper than a game at the Amex. I do this on a regular basis.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regardless of cost, the comparison with opera is absurd and just doesn't work on any level. People may enjoy an opera, but its nothing like being a FAN of a football team. You don't follow an opera all around the country week in, week out. Or watch the same show 50-odd times a year. You don't go to see La Bohéme, pass the queue for Les Miserablés and go "you're shit ARRRRGHHH". You don't stand up and start chanting Nessun Dorma at the top of your voice halfway through Turandot.

There's no sense of loyalty, or belonging, or suffering in going to see a show, its nothing like going to a live sporting event. Anyone seriously drawing comparisons with going to football and going to the opera must genuinely know chuff-all about football, and should probably just shut their face and slope off back to their skinny latte and brioche.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Regardless of cost, the comparison with opera is absurd and just doesn't work on any level. People may enjoy an opera, but its nothing like being a FAN of a football team. You don't follow an opera all around the country week in, week out. Or watch the same show 50-odd times a year.

While I agree with the sentiment, there are people who go to see the same show over and over again or follow their favourite star around the country. Fortunately, there aren't many of them but they do exist

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In fairness I have been tempted to do that to The Lion King crowd blocking my way to the Royal Opera House.

I've not seen the Lion King, but if its bobbins then you'd be well within your right.

While I agree with the sentiment, there are people who go to see the same show over and over again or follow their favourite star around the country. Fortunately, there aren't many of them but they do exist

That's as maybe, but its still not even remotely like supporting a football club is it. You wouldn't constantly pay good money to go and see one particular opera over and over again, sometimes all over the country, if it was complete and utter SHITHOUSE.

Massive difference. Opera fans go for enjoyment to see a good show. Football fans go out of a sense of loyalty, having no idea whether whatever gets served up will be good, bad or complete and utter plop, but they'll still keep going regardless. And its THAT which football owners count on (and often take advantage of).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here