Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Actually another thing was it just me or did anyone else think Wilson looked shagged after about 25 minutes after he came on ? Is he still ill ?
He looked genuinely ****ed

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Actually another thing was it just me or did anyone else think Wilson looked shagged after about 25 minutes after he came on ? Is he still ill ?

I think he may have got a knock in the covering tackle in the box when he took one touch too many. Seemed ok before that and then hobbled and looked shattered for a while. It's a real worry if it's still the illness though.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Yes he did looked totally knackered after 20-mins seemed to be really struggling, he doesn't look right maybe that is why CH wants another striker

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Like i said purely an observation by quite a few people no ones moaning, or saying he's crap, just seemed very odd and doing that is not a great idea imho, but hey ho we won.

I wasn't criticizing your opinion.Tbh I thought the same thing at one point as we seemed to surrender the initiative but that was my point the result vindicates the manager's decision. On another day we play exactly the same way and a Brentford miss hit shot goes in and we possibly get a different result.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Just after he was clattered when in the box and the defender slid in to deny him a goal?

It was a well timed sliding block / tackle by the defender (and never a chance of it being a penalty) but Wilson then collided with that defender and looked in difficulty after that for a while

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I wasn't criticizing your opinion.Tbh I thought the same thing at one point as we seemed to surrender the initiative but that was my point the result vindicates the manager's decision. On another day we play exactly the same way and a Brentford miss hit shot goes in and we possibly get a different result.

I take your point Sir !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He got his tactics spot on. They had an extra man in midfield and quality ball players in that area, plus very tricky wide men and full backs that liked to get forward, but they were blunt right up top.

The tactics were simple... They pushed their defensive line up and used their ball players to dominate the game (and did it very well) but we stayed compact and brought on pace to expose their increasingly high line. We kept out full backs deep to give their wide players little room and Kayal and Stephens sat in front of the defence so that their extra man in midfield was nullified.

If I'm being honest, that was probably the best Hughton's been tactically in a good couple of months and actually shows that he's learning from his mistakes against the likes of Ipswich, Wolves and Boro.

This for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes. A season ticket holder for 21 years, but my mate and I left on 70 mins as we were seriously bored

Yeah, I hear you. Winning 2-0 to go 3rd in the league utterly YAWNWORTHY. Oh, hang on, it was 3-0 ? Oh well, so what. Still boring.

Hope you got back in time for Graham Norton.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Yeah, I hear you. Winning 2-0 to go 3rd in the league utterly YAWNWORTHY. Oh, hang on, it was 3-0 ? Oh well, so what. Still boring.

Hope you got back in time for Graham Norton.

I did as luck would have it.

Maybe I am just losing the love after so many years

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There was a 20-25 minute period in the 2nd half where the the game was a bit flat, we were sitting deep looking to spring the counter, sadly Brentford weren't offering much and Wilson looked knackered. I thoroughly enjoyed myself:)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was a 20-25 minute period in the 2nd half where the the game was a bit flat, we were sitting deep looking to spring the counter, sadly Brentford weren't offering much and Wilson looked knackered. I thoroughly enjoyed myself:)

I heard some long term fans were seriously bored during that period and left to get home in time for Graham Norton.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I get what the opening poster means but I think it is rare in modern day football that teams having established a lead really go for it. Most managers, and Gus used to do it, are much more confident in holding on to a lead and counter attacking than really trying to thrash a side. Fans would rather see a 5-0 than a solid 3-0, but that will rarely happen these days without a sending off or something.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought it was a hard game to judge from a tactical point of view. We couldn't keep the ball for long, and much of it looked frantic, with it looking like we were lucky Brentford were playing badly - but is that the whole point, Brentford played poorly because of the way we set up against them. We certainly had plenty of chances, and for the most part defended when we needed to, but it wasn't like what we're used to seeing.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My view of it was that we were struggling a bit when we played one up front. We seemed to just allow them on to us. I suspect our central midfielders were pretty knackered by then. Kayal got injured and Sidwell came on and gave Wilson a lot of support. I think we got such a conclusive result in the end more by the luck of Kayal's injury than to Hughton's judgement.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brentford have scored the most away goals in the whole league. We limited them to ONE shot at goal. And scored three ourselves.

Any criticism of the tactics is a very odd reaction to a great result.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the last 10 mins there was only going to be 1 team score but against the run of play we broke and scored to seal the 3 points.

Simply not true. We had chance after chance after chance to wrap it up, and they never ever looked like scoring.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There were a couple of guys in the north end of the west upper getting quite irate yelling "this is your fault, Hughton". Accused him of taking off both strikers for midfield players. Ignoring, apparently, the Wilson/Zamora switch.

When I say 'irate' I mean it. They were virtually foaming at the mouth.

I get that some people don't like defensive football, some will be a little nervous, given results this season (no win by more than one goal), and last season (losses and draws from sometimes good positions), but the vitriol when we are winning 2-0 and only one (that I can remember) shot that threatened our goal was quite surprising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here