Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will have to wait for the report to be released to know the reasons. Could be a technical issue, or could be something more fundamental with the design.

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 13.51.51.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-05 at 13.52.38.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-05 at 13.53.03.png

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Will have to wait for the report to be released to know the reasons. Could be a technical issue, or could be something more fundamental with the design.

View attachment 72084View attachment 72085View attachment 72086

Considering the imagination and design elements that went into the stadium and training centre, I'd have thought something a tad more imaginative might have gone into the hotel and treatment unit.

I know they're supposed to be more functional than aesthetic, but even so. It's the kind of place I'd expect to see Gareth Cheeseman turn up to.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Picked it up from NSC? Planning applications are meat and drink to local newspapers, they'd have been all over this.

I'm bemused by this idea that hotels are non-viable: aren't we often being told there's a shortage of hotel rooms in Brighton?
its more likely that they are worried more conferences weddings and other events would move to the Amex .its better than building another out of town shopping centre.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Considering the imagination and design elements that went into the stadium and training centre, I'd have thought something a tad more imaginative might have gone into the hotel and treatment unit.

I know they're supposed to be more functional than aesthetic, but even so. It's the kind of place I'd expect to see Gareth Cheeseman turn up to.

Find it hard to disagree. It looks like the stone cladding mirrors the stadium stone cladding, but there is where all reference appears to end. As a composition the stadium has sleek horizontal window features whereas this appears to emphasis the vertical. You're also putting this in front of one the most prominent elevations to the A27, the long sweeping arc of the East Stadium, the curve of the elevation all hidden by this dropped in box. No doubt practicality of budget dictates, but while it doesn't have to be a replica of the stadium, makes you wonder if it had to look quite so alien to it - a conscious decision by the architects no doubt, but not altogether successful on the face of it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Looks shit to me. I hope they're refusing permission because it's not aesthetically pleasing.

That is not a planning consideration. The viability or otherwise of the project is purely a commercial consideration for the developer. The reference to any subsided required is also not a planning consideration.

But whether a development is sustainable is. If deemed economically unviable then it could be argued that a development is not sustainable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why?

One - it's not in her constituency
Two - she's not on the council - she's an MP
Three - the negotiations for the hotel started while the Green Party still led the council, and therefore were happy for the council to be partners in this project (insofar as they are the landowners)
Four - the council is not Green-led any more
Five - she totally approves of, and loves the stadium, and is a big supporter of AITC and what it seeks to achieve. Therefore it's not being an enormous leap of the imagination that a much-needed hotel and cancer-treating unit would be very much welcomed
Six - the recommendation to refuse is made by officers, not councillors. The largest number of councillors represent the Labour Party.

All very well, but APART from the facts......

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What's the problem?
It's a hotel...and it looks like a hotel.
What do they expect?
Sydney Opera House?
The hanging Gardens of Babylon?

Yes, but if you encroach further on open country it negates the opportunity for the Wildebeest to roam majestically over the plains.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any photos of the planned hotel?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
ALBION bosses are “flabbergasted” after their £16 million plans for a stadium hotel were given the red card by planning officers.

Brighton and Hove City Council's officers have advised members of the authority’s planning committee to reject plans for the 150 bedroom hotel later this month.

The Argus understands that they have objected to the aesthetics of the new design and complained that the hotel will impact on views of the stadium from Lewes :facepalm:

A source close to the club said: “It’s absolutely bonkers, everybody at The Amex is absolutely flabbergasted by this.” :wozza:

I am not surprised are these people who are now complaining that "the hotel will impact on views of the stadium from Lewes" the exact same people who objected to the bloody American Express Stadium in the first place..... You could not make that up.....

Some people amaze me with their logic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That artists impression makes it look like a cheap tacky carbuncle of a building. I'd have turned it down as well, it looks shit.

Have another go and try and be a bit more stylish next time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here