Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex hotel proposal will be decided at BHCC Planning Committee 17th February

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Have a look at the Aloft in London. Much more interesting design. Looks like not only do we get the Nike budget kit for the players, but the Aloft budget hotel design.

Appearance-wise, might it be relevant that the stadium was designed under the previous regime and the hotel under the present one?

The previous regime never got itself into a situation where the City Council's planners took a stance that came as a surprise to the Club.

What's caused this breakdown in communications?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I am surprised they haven't just put a curving roof on it to mirror the footy ground. That would appease the whiners who say it is not aesthetically pleasing.

I think they have tried to copy the madjeski, but failed spectacularly.

So you're saying that the people who think it looks horrible are whiners and, apropos Madjeski, you agree with them?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So you're saying that the people who think it looks horrible are whiners and, apropos Madjeski, you agree with them?

Of course not. I was suggesting that on the council, and in the local press there would appear to be a groundswell of whiners. Personally, I think it looks like a box as do most modern hotels these days, and I wondered if it would have been possible to shape the roof in some way to blend in with the Amex stadium.

Having stayed at the madj a few times for conferences and st paddys day with London Irish, it does seem to blend in with the stadium, as where it is sites, it looks good.

That is all. Wasn't being sarky or anything

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The previous regime never got itself into a situation where the City Council's planners took a stance that came as a surprise to the Club.

What's caused this breakdown in communications?

Maybe there's just certain parties being malicious for the sake of it because didn't the club deny there were plans for a hotel on the site when the original stadium planning application was in progress? For example, Falmer Parish Council seem to be suspiciously keen to object due to the hotel in their words not complementing 'the iconic stadium'. A cynic might suggest opponents to the proposal just want to cost the club money for the sake of it. They do have previous, after all. But then again, the club said there were no plans for a hotel.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
attachment.php
Here's something I knocked up in a few minutes. Makes all the difference.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Maybe there's just certain parties being malicious for the sake of it because didn't the club deny there were plans for a hotel on the site when the original stadium planning application was in progress? For example, Falmer Parish Council seem to be suspiciously keen to object due to the hotel in their words not complementing 'the iconic stadium'. A cynic might suggest opponents to the proposal just want to cost the club money for the sake of it. They do have previous, after all. But then again, the club said there were no plans for a hotel.

Lord B will advise, but I'd be surprised if council officials do 'malicious for the sake of it'. That said, the quality of the buildings approved in the city over the years suggests that they haven't objected to it on purely aesthetic grounds either.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The size and position of the plot is probably the main problem that has created the crappy box like design. And the proposal of the curving roof to match the stadium
curves is bollaxed by the height, it cannot be taller than the Amex, which is at its lowest in the south east corner.
As others say, most hotels now are square box like structures, simply because it is the cheapest shape to construct.

Lord B will advise, but I'd be surprised if council officials do 'malicious for the sake of it'. That said, the quality of the buildings approved in the city over the years suggests that they haven't objected to it on purely aesthetic grounds either.

I'll wait until the officers' report becomes public, before commenting. I'm just a little concerned that the Club has been taken by surprise to discover that the planning officers are recommending refusal at this late stage in the process. Surely there has been time to identify any problems and get them corrected, well before the application reaches the Planning Committee itself? Maybe it's the fact that the officers are not the same helpful individuals who backed the Club when the Stadium application was in progress? Or maybe the Club have just assumed that there won't be any problems? Obviously that is not the case. I personally doubt that any planning officer would be influenced by the opinion of an outside body like a parish council.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Must admit that it looks awful especially next to an award winning structure. Surely they can make it look a bit more pleasing?

Feb 14, 2010
I'm probably in a minority of Albion fans but a majority of non Albion fans, but the design of the North Stand roof at the Amex is just daft. It does have a wonky roof and if you as me, the terrace is too shallow. As for the hotel refusal, then I probably take a different line also. The council down at Brighton never has recognised the large asset the club is to the town both in visitors and free advertising every Saturday when the results are read out. However I wonder if they have at last understood and are concerned that a hotel might mean that visitors will stay not in B&B in town but instead in Falmer. I dont know just a thought but if that isnt the reason and they still have not understood the value of the institution that is BHA then some people you can lead to water, but you can never make them drink.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
One thing the council fully understands is the value of the Albion to the city.

19 years ago when we were trying to get back to Brighton - you may have had a point. But now, that's definitely not the case.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One thing the council fully understands is the value of the Albion to the city.

19 years ago when we were trying to get back to Brighton - you may have had a point. But now, that's definitely not the case.
I don't doubt you, but is there anything particular that makes you say it's definitely not the case - have they said something nice about us?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

How can you suggest Falmer Parish Council are suspiciously keen to object when they have actually stated that they are not objecting to the hotel?

Hello Rachel,

Falmer Parish Council are not objecting to the hotel**application BH2015/03285. We would however like to express our disappointment with the bland architecture and bland landscaping. The stadium is**iconic in design and deserves something more special alongside it.

Best wishes.
Melanie Cutress
Chair Falmer Parish Council.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I don't doubt you, but is there anything particular that makes you say it's definitely not the case - have they said something nice about us?

If you read We Want Falmer, you'll get an idea of what the club had to go through in order to win over the hearts and minds of the (then newly unified) council.

Once they'd done that - and this was one of Dick and Martin's victories - the council (Labour majority at that time) policy was to back the Albion regarding getting the stadium. I say 'policy' because I do know of one individual (the council leader at the time) whose preference was to have the stadium at Shoreham Harbour. The other three parties (or rather, the individuals within those other three parties) weren't all on board with the same enthusiasm, but were more so as the years passed.

Since then, the work undertaken by the Albion in providing jobs, the work of AITC, and even intangibles like promoting civic pride have all seen the various council administrations working pro-actively with the club to provide - to a given point - what the club wants. Likewise, the club has reciprocated - in one instance - in actively liaising over the residents' car parking issues.

For example, even on a low-ish level, the fact that the club were able to change their licensing conditions with the council to allow people to drink outside the stadium to a point halfway towards Falmer Station shows a willingness - as far as I would see it - for all parties to work together. I consider that fairly far-sighted in terms of football clubs in England. Does anyone else at this level offer that kind of consideration?

My point is, they do talk to each other in a constructive manner for the most part.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm probably in a minority of Albion fans but a majority of non Albion fans, but the design of the North Stand roof at the Amex is just daft. It does have a wonky roof and if you as me, the terrace is too shallow. As for the hotel refusal, then I probably take a different line also. The council down at Brighton never has recognised the large asset the club is to the town both in visitors and free advertising every Saturday when the results are read out. However I wonder if they have at last understood and are concerned that a hotel might mean that visitors will stay not in B&B in town but instead in Falmer. I dont know just a thought but if that isnt the reason and they still have not understood the value of the institution that is BHA then some people you can lead to water, but you can never make them drink.

How about killing two birds with one stone... extend the North Stand to twice the size in a single tier, with a row of hospitality / bedroom suites at the top and the rest of the rooms behind the stand with a concourse below?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
How about killing two birds with one stone... extend the North Stand to twice the size in a single tier, with a row of hospitality / bedroom suites at the top and the rest of the rooms behind the stand with a concourse below?

I think they should incorporate the hotel into the north east corner where it still looks a bit unfinished. Surely a prime view for the hotel function room , bar or resturant would be from the north east corner over the pitch. I know that's the view I would want to see at a stadium hotel.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think they should incorporate the hotel into the north east corner where it still looks a bit unfinished. Surely a prime view for the hotel function room , bar or resturant would be from the north east corner over the pitch. I know that's the view I would want to see at a stadium hotel.

I think that is the main entrance for heavy machinery, event/concert vehicles, emergency services etc.. so that might need a bit of significant engineering (a tunnel perhaps??).

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Hello Rachel,

Falmer Parish Council are not objecting to the hotel**application BH2015/03285. We would however like to express our disappointment with the bland architecture and bland landscaping. The stadium is**iconic in design and deserves something more special alongside it.

Best wishes.
Melanie Cutress
Chair Falmer Parish Council.

Given the signature at the bottom of that letter, its contents show a degree of hypocrisy that is truly breathtaking.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How can you suggest Falmer Parish Council are suspiciously keen to object when they have actually stated that they are not objecting to the hotel?

They're 'expressing their disappointment with the bland architecture and bland landscaping'. Might very well translate into an objection on the grounds of design and layout / external appearance and materials. Especially with that signature at the bottom of the letter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here