Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Souf london identity??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lolol: I was actually hesitant about posting because i knew id get pulled up , just waiting for HT to turn up and take the piss !!

:thumbsup:

No comment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the topic of London I watched East End Babylon last night, a part Cockney Rejects part East London documentary. Interesting stuff and boy has that part of town changed.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Croydon, like so many places, has changed massively. In the 60s it felt almost like suburban Surrey. During the 70s and 80s there were a couple of reasonable pubs for a pre-match beer there. Now, whereas a lot of inner London has gentrified, Croydon has gone the other way.
The whole of south east England has played musical chairs over the last two decades. Everyone moves elsewhere or is priced out.

Feb 14, 2010
On the topic of London I watched East End Babylon last night, a part Cockney Rejects part East London documentary. Interesting stuff and boy has that part of town changed.

The idea of West Ham being the cockney club is also a press driven thing. A cockney is within the sound of Bow Bells. West Ham is way down in deepest East London, zone 3 or somewhere. The press (and amusingly all west ham fans I have met) wrongly think its the Bow church in Bow, East London when in fact its St Mary Le Bow between Bank / St Pauls in the City which makes a cockney. Closest clubs as the crow flies are either Arsenal or Millwall (whether on the Island where they started or Bermondsey). Certainly not west ham. As for palace, well a club that were a part of the surrey fa and only relatively recently has croydon been a part of london, in the same way that Watford now probably is in North London. Inner / proper south london is Millwall, Chelsea and further West South Fulham. Palace is the suburbs, places like Coulsdon, croydon and Beckenham. As for gritty, well put it this way, more people can afford a house in Newhaven, Whitehawk and Worthing than they ever would in South London, whether proper or suburban. I live in London, its fantastic, gritty its not.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Quite. Some of it- Thornton Heath, Norwood, New Addington- is a complete hovel.

But there's plenty of wealth in other areas south of the river. I wouldn't describe Richmond as "gritty".

I would suggest that SE and SW London have different stereotypical residents, and therefore feel very different too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it on YouTube ?

Not sure, I bought the DVD from Amazon. Its an interesting documentary though, and I think it would be up your street. As a young boy I was a fan of this band but too young to understand certain things; so it was interesting to re-visit them and also learn about their upbringing in the East End. Both Jeff/Stinky and Mickey come across very well....Jeff especially.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The idea of West Ham being the cockney club is also a press driven thing. A cockney is within the sound of Bow Bells. West Ham is way down in deepest East London, zone 3 or somewhere. The press (and amusingly all west ham fans I have met) wrongly think its the Bow church in Bow, East London when in fact its St Mary Le Bow between Bank / St Pauls in the City which makes a cockney. Closest clubs as the crow flies are either Arsenal or Millwall (whether on the Island where they started or Bermondsey). Certainly not west ham. As for palace, well a club that were a part of the surrey fa and only relatively recently has croydon been a part of london, in the same way that Watford now probably is in North London. Inner / proper south london is Millwall, Chelsea and further West South Fulham. Palace is the suburbs, places like Coulsdon, croydon and Beckenham. As for gritty, well put it this way, more people can afford a house in Newhaven, Whitehawk and Worthing than they ever would in South London, whether proper or suburban. I live in London, its fantastic, gritty its not.

Possibly. But I guess it depends where the support comes from as opposed to literally where the club is located. The areas which are referenced in the doc are Mansion House and Canning Town. And the band make a point of saying West Ham was over a mil away. Are these cockney locations in your mind?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

West Ham are a south Essex club these days - another reason why they should not have sovereignty over the Olympic stadium.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Possibly. But I guess it depends where the support comes from as opposed to literally where the club is located. The areas which are referenced in the doc are Mansion House and Canning Town. And the band make a point of saying West Ham was over a mil away. Are these cockney locations in your mind?
I'd hazard a guess you mean custom house :lolol: and no they are not "cockney" locations , they're not even in the east end.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
chelsea are not south London and never have been , though a large proportion of their support is from south London , and like it or not , selhurst park is not in the suburbs , it's in south London proper .

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
ironic isnt it when Croydon isnt really South London, its Surrey and they know it. doesnt even have a proper London post code. and they keep applying for their own status as a seperate city. just about everything south of Brixton is a large dormatory for London workers, with no common heritage or identity.

Original London postcodes map from 1857. Just one more try, Selhurst is not in Croydon and is in south east London.

Londonpostal_iln_1857.jpg

Attachments

• 440px-Londonpostal_iln_1857.jpg
    440px-Londonpostal_iln_1857.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
ironic isnt it when Croydon isnt really South London, its Surrey and they know it. doesnt even have a proper London post code. and they keep applying for their own status as a seperate city. just about everything south of Brixton is a large dormatory for London workers, with no common heritage or identity.
What an absolute pile of horseshit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd hazard a guess you mean custom house :lolol: and no they are not "cockney" locations , they're not even in the east end.

Doh, yeah I meant Custom House. I don't think they wear Cor Blimey Trousers in Mansion House.

At the start of this doc they do discuss where the "East End" is....I look forward to your thoughts :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And a point was made that the real rivalry between Millwall and West Ham stems from Millwall supplying scab labour to a striking West Ham dock. Didn't know this.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
And a point was made that the real rivalry between Millwall and West Ham stems from Millwall supplying scab labour to a striking West Ham dock. Didn't know this.
I'm not surprised you didn't know it , because it's a complete and utter myth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not surprised you didn't know it , because it's a complete and utter myth.

I think you're going to have your work cut out correcting the inaccuracies in this documentary.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

I think you're going to have your work cut out correcting the inaccuracies in this documentary.

I nver heard that either, I just thought it came from them being rival dock workers. I cannot imagine anyone breaking a strike with the dockers, as there would literally have been murder. You just did not need with another man's living then, even if you detested him.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here