Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite 'B' sides

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well said sir! Great song that I've only ever seen as a live recording on the Turning Japanese B Side. Given that both their albums 'New Clear Days' and 'Magnets' are nothing to write home about, I can't believe that they never thought it worthy of doing in the studio.

I rather like their albums! In the comments section of the video I posted, consensus is that it's better than the A side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The most well known must be Dolly Parton ' I will always love you' B side of D I V O R C E . Useless bit of trivia Dolly offered this song to Elvis but he wanted 50% of all royalties to record it, which she declined. This song has since earned her $90m , good decision by her

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The most well known must be Dolly Parton ' I will always love you' B side of D I V O R C E . Useless bit of trivia Dolly offered this song to Elvis but he wanted 50% of all royalties to record it, which she declined. This song has since earned her $90m , good decision by her

Dolly Parton's 'I Will Always Love You' was on the B Side of D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Tammy Wynette was it?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well said sir! Great song that I've only ever seen as a live recording on the Turning Japanese B Side. Given that both their albums 'New Clear Days' and 'Magnets' are nothing to write home about, I can't believe that they never thought it worthy of doing in the studio.

I rather like their albums! In the comments section of the video I posted, consensus is that it's better than the A side.

I've still got both albums and I'm not saying they are bad, just that either could have been improved by 'Here Come The Judge.' 'News At Ten' was a really good song and they deserved more than just the one hit.

Back to the B Sides. This was on the other side of 'Sunny Afternoon':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmb7TU0OrOI

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I know this is not what many will be looking for but its probably the most important B side in Jungle/Drum and Bass and electronic music post mid 90s as a whole (this record is not the original but a later re-release) the original was the B to "The Touch" RAMM 004:

Also possibly the most important in terms of samples for the whole of breakbeat, Rap Jungle etc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen_break

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My 1st thought was The Butterfly Collector and also These are the Days of our lives - although on checking it was apparently a double A side with Bohemian Rhapsody!

And then of course there was Who Killed Bambi (The Sex Pistols)!

Flick of the wrist was the B side to Bohemian Rhapsody when first released

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Flick of the wrist was the B side to Bohemian Rhapsody when first released

Flick of the Wrist (brilliant track, by the way) was the B side to Killer Queen; the B-side to the original release of Bohemian Rhapsody was 'I'm in Love With my Car' (sung by drummer Roger Taylor).

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No, Jolene's B Side was apparently called: 'Love, You're So Beautiful Tonight.' 'I Will Always Love You' wasn't a B Side, but a separate single from the same album as Jolene. It didn't chart in the UK, but was number one in the US Country charts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Parton_singles_discography

What I quoted was said by a guide at Sun Studios in Memphis when we went to Gracelands. Perhaps it was just speil knowing the other people wouldnt know any difference. So my apologies if that is so.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What I quoted was said by a guide at Sun Studios in Memphis when we went to Gracelands. Perhaps it was just speil knowing the other people wouldnt know any difference. So my apologies if that is so.

The part about Dolly Parton not letting Elvis have a slice of the royalties is true. Tom Parker was known for demanding this of songwriters and Dolly had the guts to tell him to whistle.

However, the song wasn't a B-Side. It was well known in America after she sang it as a goodbye when leaving the Porter Wagoner Show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here