Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old fashioned habits: do you do them?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Do people still close their curtains in the street of the deceased when the funeral procession starts?

Do people doff their hats and say 'good morning' to passing people in the streets?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Do people still close their curtains in the street of the deceased when the funeral procession starts?

Do people doff their hats and say 'good morning' to passing people in the streets?
I sometimes stop walking along the pavement and bow my head when a cortege passes. And I do wear spats and say 'ticketyboo' quite a lot.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Does anyone have a bowl in the fridge to keep oil/lard etc for re-use...? My Mum definitely did this into the 1990s but I imagine it is not common now.

A post Christmas thrift drive, combined with desire to comfort eat fried potatoes more regularly, has led me down this path and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Good, eh?

I still do this and have done since the early 80"s when I first left home and made my way into the big wide world. Saves a load of money on cooking oil.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I still hold doors open for ladyfolk, would still have milk delivered if such a service existed round my way, and coal for that matter.

Definitely salute magpies - on the day of the Palace home semi final I saw 7 single magpies separately on my way to the Amex, I saluted every one of the bug**rs and said morning Mr magpie, how's your wife and family etc.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My old fashioned habits include falling asleep in an armchair after Sunday lunch, getting blind drunk on Friday night, driving without wearing a seatbelt, charging time and a half if asked to work on a Saturday, double bubble on Sundays and I sometimes smoke indoors.
The most old fashioned thing I do is say please and thank you when talking to shop staff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Until very recently, I still rolled a fag while doing a ton in the outside lane on the motorway.

Now that I have 9 points . . . .

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I still open the door for a woman although I recently got called a "sexist mysogonistic pig" by a young lady of maybe 20. Despite her apparent views I take credit that I restrained myself from slamming said door back in her face.

I also walk on the outside of the pavement when walking with a woman. Patently outdated and unnecessary but habits of a lifetime and all that

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Nail biting. It used to be seen as a bad habit but now, it seems, is socially acceptable. Matey from the Lord of the rings and green street bites his to the quick I notice.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hold the door open for people.
Give up seat for a woman
Polish my shoes
Make tea in bed every satdi and Sunday for the wife( when not leaving too early for golf)
I also always walk on the outside nearest the road.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Actually getting to know your neighbours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here