Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool fan jailed for storming Director's Box

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's slightly different though I would think, especially the numbers involved.
This man already had previous, damaged CCTV cameras etc. After being bailed and to not to have any contact whatsoever with the Oystons, he sends a threatening text.

Yes, probably a case for a mandatory gaol sentence........so make it seven days, thus acknowledging the fact that the fans have a justifiable right to be angry with the Oystons and their fellow travellers. But it's one law for the rich.......and probably for the masons too........

Bad luck in coming up in front of some blinkered reactionary who thinks football fans should be put in their place (and unfortunately can't be put down any more since the abolition of the death penalty in the 1960s). Judges 1 Justice 0.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Didn't Oyston try to get someone locked up last year for having the temerity to suggest that he wasn't beyond reproach vis-a-vis outre matters Tangerine fiscal?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I'll readily agree that the threatening text was quite a few steps too far but at the risk of repeating myself, why did the bloke break his bail conditions and storm the box? The fans are furious and they're desperate to get their club back from a family that seems to be running it into the ground and and I think the Oystons are not exactly helping matters with their stance. I'd argue that there are mitigating circumstances and 6 month stretch is bloody harsh - and largely because it's football related.

I know where you are coming from but he was on a community order already. He damaged CCTV cameras at another ground, let off a firework at a train station, stormed the directors box and then sent a threatening text.
Now I know a lot of people get away with a lot more, but its not as cut and dried as just storming a directors box.
Also don't have a clue why he damaged CCTV at another ground?

The above is what I have read, so not sure its gospel

EDIT: The one thing that does stink in this case is both defendants wanted this judge removed as they alleged he had links to the Oystons. The judge refused.
Now whether there was any substance in that would be very interesting.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thats the trouble with Magistrates Courts in that while here are guidelines, a lot depends on who the main Magistrate is. On another day the chap may have just got a suspended sentence and community service. However I don't think sacking your brief before the sentencing is probably a good idea.

The guidelines are meant to ensure that any bench, anywhere, will come up with broadly the same sentence for the same offence; it's referred to as structured sentencing.

I know where you are coming from but he was on a community order already. He damaged CCTV cameras at another ground, let off a firework at a train station, stormed the directors box and then sent a threatening text. .

Not seeing the full facts of the case it's difficult to comment but if this is right, then the District Judge would have had little choice but to send him down.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Yes, probably a case for a mandatory gaol sentence........so make it seven days, thus acknowledging the fact that the fans have a justifiable right to be angry with the Oystons and their fellow travellers. But it's one law for the rich.......and probably for the masons too........

Bad luck in coming up in front of some blinkered reactionary who thinks football fans should be put in their place (and unfortunately can't be put down any more since the abolition of the death penalty in the 1960s). Judges 1 Justice 0.

I have absolutely nothing to say on this topic. I just want to commend you on the correct spelling of "gaol."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know where you are coming from but he was on a community order already. He damaged CCTV cameras at another ground, let off a firework at a train station, stormed the directors box and then sent a threatening text.
Now I know a lot of people get away with a lot more, but its not as cut and dried as just storming a directors box.
Also don't have a clue why he damaged CCTV at another ground?

The above is what I have read, so not sure its gospel

EDIT: The one thing that does stink in this case is both defendants wanted this judge removed as they alleged he had links to the Oystons. The judge refused.
Now whether there was any substance in that would be very interesting.

The police involved also gave evidence that the Oystons were inciting the crowd by beckoning them on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is more to it than that though. He has previous, has breached terms imposed and was also a on suspended sentence I think I read somewhere.
When you read more into it you realise it was not just for storming the directors box. There were threats and vandalism.

Having read the full story one could argue he's been quite lucky not to be charged with contempt of court.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It does appear that more and more clubs are using legal threats and the courts as a means of repressing criticism.

Thank GOD that never happens here.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
People have done a lot worse and got community service

Some filthy inhuman animals have fiddled with kids and got less sentences than that on the basis of blah blah blah ! Utterly ridiculous

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There is more to it than that though. He has previous, has breached terms imposed and was also a on suspended sentence I think I read somewhere.
When you read more into it you realise it was not just for storming the directors box. There were threats and vandalism.

You may want to read "Build a Bonfire". That may aid your understanding of why fans take actions, at risks to themselves, to defend and preserve the club they love.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
You may want to read "Build a Bonfire". That may aid your understanding of why fans take actions, at risks to themselves, to defend and preserve the club they love.

Is all his previous to do with getting rid of the Oystons though? What has letting off a firework in a train station got to do with it?
I don't know myself, I'm just saying what I have read.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tired of "football fans" believing the law doesn't apply to them. I appreciate its an unpopular view but foul-mouthed, loutish, racist & homophobic behaviour condoned "cos it's football innit?" Not for me

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Having read the full story one could argue he's been quite lucky not to be charged with contempt of court.

Doesn't come close. Persistent arguing with the Judge/Chair will get you a warning; keep on and you'll probably be removed to the cells and warned that you could be charged unless, when you're brought back up, you apologise and keep it buttoned. Bench retires for 5 minutes, solicitor (if he has one) or usher/security tells you you're on thin ice, you come back up and off we go.
Unless you're a well known (to the court) local pisshead who's apology concludes with a reference to his probation officer of "I hate that f...ing p.k. w..nker"

Is all his previous to do with getting rid of the Oystons though? What has letting off a firework in a train station got to do with it?
I don't know myself, I'm just saying what I have read.

It's a public order offence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here