Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Championship TONIGHT

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fair enough. However, most Brighton fans enjoy our rivals slipping up. It isn't the very best thing in the world, but it makes me a little bit happy in a trivial way. Nothing wrong with that.

Quite. At the end of the day, they're still in the PL (for now) and we're not.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a small period of satisfaction when they lose, any more than they chuckle when we screw up at Rotherham or whatever. I have to confess I've glanced at the #CPFC hashtag on Twitter this evening and it's bloody hilarious. Some of them- a decent number in fact- are in absolute meltdown. Lovely stuff :lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No apology from me for an "irrational hatred" of Crystal Palace ...

I love it when they lose.

My current feeling is frustration that they are screwing up so spectacularly but will still survive - tempered with satisfaction each time they lose and slide lower in the table. Earlier in the season it did seem possible that they had somehow fluked a top ten squad but now it looks more like they are in familiar territory as perennial relegation candidates.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
WTF is wrong with some of us? How can you not enjoy hating the Palace and seeing them lose?! Of course it's cause for celebration. Every time no matter who the opposition. It's just even funnier when it's unexpected like tonight's result :)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The Derby County forum is very entertaining tonight. Just had a few minutes observing the meltdown. Worth a look if you want some amusement. Apparently Paul Clement has spent £25m on turning a good team into a crap one. Most of the fans think he should have another couple of games to turn it around. I'd say take til the end of the season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
WTF is wrong with some of us? How can you not enjoy hating the Palace and seeing them lose?! Of course it's cause for celebration. Every time no matter who the opposition. It's just even funnier when it's unexpected like tonight's result :)
Well said.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hell yes. I'm sure plenty of them enjoyed a little snigger during our recent poor spell, even though it has absolutely no impact on them. I'm more than happy to say: even if Brighton & Hove Albion were top of the Premier League (ha!), I'd still take time out to enjoy it if Palace- after a Pompey-style implosion- found themselves losing to Morecambe at the foot of League Two. If they got relegated to the Conference, I'd do a dance of joy around the Amex.

Won't happen, obviously. But don't ever think I'd get bored of it if it did.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hell yes. I'm sure plenty of them enjoyed a little snigger during our recent poor spell, even though it has absolutely no impact on them. I'm more than happy to say: even if Brighton & Hove Albion were top of the Premier League (ha!), I'd still take time out to enjoy it if Palace- after a Pompey-style implosion- found themselves losing to Morecambe at the foot of League Two.

Or even conceding a 94th minute equaliser to the Morecambe goalkeeper :thumbsup: #twats

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last edited:

theboybilly

The Derby County forum is very entertaining tonight. Just had a few minutes observing the meltdown. Worth a look if you want some amusement. Apparently Paul Clement has spent £25m on turning a good team into a crap one. Most of the fans think he should have another couple of games to turn it around. I'd say take til the end of the season.

'Sack the Head Coach and throw more money at it' seems to be the Derby supporters answer to everything. I've watched Chris Martin a few times now and still can't see what makes him think he's the Bee's Knees. They are a team of individuals taking too long to gel....I hope they never do.

el punal

Those around us all drew tonight, a big chance for us now on Friday to make up ground & go at least 3rd with a win.
Derby seem lost, & so does their Manager if his post match interview is anything to go by. Having a go at some of his fans for booing the team off. Six without a win now, but as we found Preston are hard to breakdown.

I wonder if this all stems from their owner/chairman going into the players dressing room, when they drew with Reading, and read the riot act. That surely must have destabilised Clement's position and affected team morale.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought the Derby supporters were unrealistically optimistic in 2013-14 when they came down for the play-offs, more so than the Albion fans, who thought it could go either way.

I think their bubble has burst now. I don't think they are particulary quick in midfield and some teams are quicker (e.g. Birmingham, Boro and probably us if we don't get outnumbered).

Albion fans were a bit pessimisitic last season, I thought. More than they ought to be. We were not get thrashed week in and week out. Most games were even enough. Just the ball did not go in the net enough. Or anywhere near goal sometimes.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Derby keep a clean sheet

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959229/Live/England-Championship-2015-2016-Derby-Preston

Gallagher again starred for Preston NE.

Same old argument. Do you play the slower possession game and rely on individual skill to create a goal, or do you play more direct football and hope the speed of attacks expose errors by constant bombardment without so much finesse? Derby (if they have a weakness) appear slow in midfield but it might just be their style (rather than their players).

I think the answer is to get the balance between direct and possession football. The higher up and against better teams the less likely the opposition will make mistakes and the direct game will not work. Or vs a team that plays two banks of four and defends deep.

Even in the percentage football manual, possession football is not eschewed. It is just seen as a defensive tactic though.

The percentage manual said that most goals were the result of mistakes and direct football is the best way of scoring goals, the more crosses and shots the more goals and they backed it up with stats. This is why English football failed at the highest level in the eighties. OK up to a certain level and then it does not work at all unless the opposition has a bad day.

I still see Derby as a threat because they play the most possession football in the Championship. Boro are more counter-attacking, Burnley are more direct. Hull under the experienced Bruce are mixed as are Brighton.

One thing though, if you want our forwards to be creative, you cannot have them doing defensive duties like tracking back (not unless we are 1-0 up with five minutes to go). That is the job of the defence.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Derby. They are still a decent side and will be in and around the Promotion places come the end of the season.

I was on holiday when Albion lost to Wolves and watched the match in a bar and got well pissed off when a bloke at the next table kept constantly stating ''Brighton's bubble has burst, that's them finished for the season''. Teams do have blips and ours coincided with a lot of injuries and people looking in from the outside don't always see mitigating circumstances.

We have started to bounce back because when we have a full squad we have a decent side and Derby do too, so they will bounce back I am sure of it. If it turns out to be Play offs for them and us, I would prefer to avoid them in it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The four above us are there for a reason but will have wobbles along the way it is what we do that matters most. We were top because we had the players playing well and have brought in even better players so no reason to suggest that we cannot get into automatic place again. That has got to be the aim with the play offs as a fall back idea.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The four above us are there for a reason but will have wobbles along the way it is what we do that matters most. We were top because we had the players playing well and have brought in even better players so no reason to suggest that we cannot get into automatic place again. That has got to be the aim with the play offs as a fall back idea.

Surely common sense should say, that we should always aim for the seemingly unattainable. Aim for automatic promotion and we will always have the play-offs to fall back on if we don't succeed. Aim for the play-offs and we could end up nowhere if we miss out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely common sense should say, that we should always aim for the seemingly unattainable. Aim for automatic promotion and we will always have the play-offs to fall back on if we don't succeed. Aim for the play-offs and we could end up nowhere if we miss out.

I agree but to read many posts it seems that many have said or are saying we have blown automatic and have got to cling to the hope of the play offs. They seem to disregard the fact that we have all above us and around us still to play.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree but to read many posts it seems that many have said or are saying we have blown automatic and have got to cling to the hope of the play offs. They seem to disregard the fact that we have all above us and around us still to play.

We haven't blown it and CH will certainly be going for it but we are outsiders for a reason. Even ignoring Derby and Burnley we have to overhaul one of Hull and Boro. We are away at both and the liklihood is we'll get beat. That being the case we'll have 16 games to somehow claw back 10 points on Hull and as much as 12 on Boro. Realistically that isn't happening.

Unfortunately Boro is the last day and probably irrelevant. Hull on the other hand could be huge ... if we can come out of that with all the points then it may well be game on.

In saying that, Burnley have the best run in imo and are the most likely to dislodge one of the other 2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here