Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Neville

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Should have started in the UK clearly. I still think he will be a superb manager.

I agree with the first part but not the second. He doesn't seem to have the gravitas required, there's still something of the whingeing Mancunian about him. Sure, his technical analysis and workrate are second to none, but can he inspire as well as inform, can he command as well as educate?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
am surprised that, given his pride in local teams, he didn't start management at a lower league club near Manchester. I can understand why he accepted the role (did hear that the owner of Valencia has something to do with Salford) and admire him trying to cut his teeth abroad.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think people are being a bit OTT with Neville. He took over the spanish equivalent of Newcastle - a club with a hated owner and group of overpaid players who don't give a shit.

No way was a new manager going to turn that around in less than 10 games. I guess, as others have said, his ego got the better of him and he thought he could just turn up and instantly make a disfunctional club better.

Also, how many managers have taken over half way through a season and had instant success, Chris Hughton didn't last year, it took a clear out and a full pre-season for us to look half decent again after the mess left by Sami and David.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree with the first part but not the second. He doesn't seem to have the gravitas required, there's still something of the whingeing Mancunian about him. Sure, his technical analysis and workrate are second to none, but can he inspire as well as inform, can he command as well as educate?[/QUOTE

I like him, would be quite inspiring to play for i think. Maybe thats just me though.

Can see him rocking up at Everton with Brother Phil when Mythinez gets the boot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the first part but not the second. He doesn't seem to have the gravitas required, there's still something of the whingeing Mancunian about him. Sure, his technical analysis and workrate are second to none, but can he inspire as well as inform, can he command as well as educate?[/QUOTE

I like him, would be quite inspiring to play for i think. Maybe thats just me though.

Can see him rocking up at Everton with Brother Phil when Mythinez gets the boot.

I like Martinez. If ever Hughton got the boot he'd be a great option for the Albion, with Calde as Assistant and Bruno providing the tapas.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think people are being a bit OTT with Neville. He took over the spanish equivalent of Newcastle - a club with a hated owner and group of overpaid players who don't give a shit.

No way was a new manager going to turn that around in less than 10 games. I guess, as others have said, his ego got the better of him and he thought he could just turn up and instantly make a disfunctional club better.

Also, how many managers have taken over half way through a season and had instant success, Chris Hughton didn't last year, it took a clear out and a full pre-season for us to look half decent again after the mess left by Sami and David.

All true but nevville arrived to a fanfare of trumpets and he was happy to do all of the interviews and play his arrival out in the every media avenue he could. He was even inviting cameras into his home before he left for Spain

If you make yourself a big target then expect to be shot.

All that said, I really like Gary Neville. He is a really nice bloke but this experience will probably teach him that in Football Management. it is best to fly below the radar, than above it. Thats the one of the differences between playing than managing

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012

Hardly. This was a team that finished 4th last season and was underperforming this time as they were 5 points off 4th place when they sacked the previous coach. They'd recently managed a 5-1 away win and when he took over they'd just got a draw with Barcelona.

They now find themselves not five points off 4th, but five points off relegation (they're 19 off 4th). That is a failure. And Valencia has good players.

I agree it's too early to know whether he'll learn from this and turn himself into a good manager, but this is a poor beginning.

Up to last week their fans seemed largely to have put the blame on the players and the owner, but today the local sports paper ran a poll and 89% want to see him sacked.

jazz pancake

Jul 4, 2015
Okay he was arrogant and ill advised to think he can just waltz in and do the job.
But isn't life a learning curve?
He'll feel a tit, but has the talent and capability to be a great manager and his failing will doubtless be reflected on and concentrate his talented mind. I hope he and for that matter his brother find work in management as they are both passionate about football and importantly for footballers, unusually decent people

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There is not many British managers working abroad compared to the many European managers working in this country.

This episode will not encourage things to change in the near future.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He seems to be on a par with Jeff Wood . . . who is now managing Gibraltar, apparently

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Wonder if Vicente has got what it takes to be a manager in the future for Valencia
Noticed he has recently returned to the club in a scouting role

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
There is not many British managers working abroad compared to the many European managers working in this country.

I think that's more due to the British mentality that managing/playing abroad seems to be seen as a failure due to no-one here wanting them or as a mad cash grab.

It's why I'll always have some respect for Steve Mc, to go and manage in two different nations (winning the league in one) was a gutsy move.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012

Real Betis have two wins at home all season. The first against Real Sociedad (managed by David Moyes) and today against Valencia (managed by Gary Neville)

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not sure McClaren was gutsy. I reckon he was just severely damaged goods in England in 2008 and would have taken so much abuse everywhere he went in charge of an English league side at that time that the only way out was to go abroad.

Neville has chosen a terrible job to start with. It's like a Spaniard with no management experience whatsoever becoming the manager of a club like Liverpool. Expectations are high so you have to deliver results quickly against everyone but the top three or four, but the reality is you have a mid-table squad. In that case, an unknown Spaniard would be slaughtered over here, just as Neville is over there. And more importantly, he has no track record of success that ensures respect (from players and fans) which buys you time. He definitely should have started out in England, where at least he has a strong reputation and a profile that would win him some support, and ideally at a club like Swansea or West Ham (i.e. somewhere with some decent players to build a good team but no instant demand for success).

I don't disagree with the abuse he would've got but he still would've been a standout candidate for any top Championship level club at least, which you have to think would've been easier in the long run.

No disagreement here, he had to start strong and maintain it to get even a sniff of a chance over there. That said, it would have been very hard to say no to the big seat at such a massive club. It's the sort of thing you could end up regretting whichever way it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here