Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy birthday John Lydon, 60 today

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Good to know, as one who thinks Rotten is not very good, that I am an arrogant shallow Radio 1 listener, living a halcyon blissful life. Blimey.

I can't criticise Radio 1 as I haven't listened to it since I worked as a building labourer. Big fan of 'Calexico' though :)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Johnny Rotten was banned by the BBC in 1978 for talking about Jimmy Savile and basically saying what everybody knew but wasn't allowed to mention.
It was ironic that Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols were considered such a threat to the establishment while Jimmy Savile, the real threat was protected by that establishment. Remember the ridiculous overreaction and heavy handedness of the police when they arrested the Sex Pistols on the River Thames. It was total paranoia. Savile meanwhile was the darling of the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjy8oLVOvi4

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The fact that Never mind the bollocks still sounds great today is testement to want a great record that is, the first PIL albums were great as well.

For me Lydon has been inspirational musically, and for his attitude. However, it is stretching it to say he has had a 40 year career in music, as bar the odd single, Rise, Flowers of romance, open up, the quality of his work has been drab for the last 30+ years.

It's just a shame that the guys pushing 60 such as Lydon, Weller, Morrissey still seem to have more attitude than today's younger musicians

Flex Your Head

The Pistols were fleetingly important to me as an angry young punk, but they only really released four 'proper' singles and an album. Bands like Wire and Buzzcocks and Magazine went on to become more important, rapidly followed by the Crass mob and the first stirrings of US Hardcore.

PiL were / are more interesting musically than the Pistols, and this debut album still sounds so awesome. The press and much of the public wanted Sex Pistols mk II but got this glorious caterwauling, playful and inventive slab of vinyl instead. Perfect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good to know, as one who thinks Rotten is not very good, that I am an arrogant shallow Radio 1 listener, living a halcyon blissful life. Blimey.

I think I agree. I don't think he's very good either. He has had one or two flashes of brilliance but the rest is just annoying self-promotion. Here's to our Radio 1 infused dull lives!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here