Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Terry Wogan

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
He died of a short battle with cancer as well. Very sad news.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Someone started a thread earlier in the year about whose death shocked them. The loss of Terry Wogan certainly fits the bill for me. Shocked and saddened and really feeling heavy hearted after reading this. What a terrible start to the year. I hope the likes of Mick Sterbs and Rudolph Hucker make the funeral. His wry look at life, stuff and everything has been copied, but no-one did it like he did.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Loathed the Eurovision Song Contest.
Couldn't stand Children in Need (don't get me wrong - its aims and fund-raising achievements are magnificent - I just can't stand the programme).
Really could have done without the Floral Dance.
But in spite of all this, it was always impossible NOT to like TW for his gentle humour, wit and banter.
Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His performance as a guest on Top Gear was one of the all time greats, and obviously his Eurovision commentaries were world class.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was the BBC, all the good bits. There can't be many broadcasters and presenters who have been universally liked in the sense that folk from every walk of life could take some pleasure from an aspect of their work. He was also a trail blazer and inspiration to the flood of Irish talent that has landed here in recent decades. So sorry to hear he's gone, I thought he would be here forever.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You say that but it will always be thus from now on. It's just that the beginning of the era of the celebrity was in the early 60s and they're all getting older.

Very much agree. It's a bit like life in the sense that as you grow older you attend more funerals. I honestly thought Sir Terry was immortal though !

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sorry, but I found Wogan a bit overrated and never really a fan.
Nice commitment to being 'edgy' there, I'm sure all the notifications you'll have got have made you feel all tingly and proud. Well done.

As it is this is turning out to be a crap few months in terms of genuine showbusiness legends shuffling off the mortal coil, losing Bowie, Lemmy, Rickman and now Wogan. Rubbish.

Edit; Is there any way Wogan could get to number one? Surely it'd be a well deserved one (in terms of gesture rather than the actual song...).

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Such sad news he was a brillant funny man he made Eurovision with his witty comments and the mainstay of Children in Need. A great loss.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Nice commitment to being 'edgy' there, I'm sure all the notifications you'll have got have made you feel all tingly and proud. Well done.

As it is this is turning out to be a crap few months in terms of genuine showbusiness legends shuffling off the mortal coil, losing Bowie, Lemmy, Rickman and now Wogan. Rubbish.

Edit; Is there any way Wogan could get to number one? Surely it'd be a well deserved one (in terms of gesture rather than the actual song...).

Floral Dance? RIP Terry

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is there any way Wogan could get to number one? Surely it'd be a well deserved one (in terms of gesture rather than the actual song...).

If we're looking for posthumous number ones, sadly we have all the works of Bowie, Lemmie, Glen Frey and Paul Kantner to chose from this month - so please, please, please NOT the Floral Dance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here