Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No sign of the promised striker

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you think we'll sign another striker and have 5 in the squad then? Personally, I read that as, 'we have plenty, if someone comes along at a reasonable price, with plenty of goals, then we'll go for it.' But with 3 and a bit days left, unless they've been putting in bids, I just don't see anything happening. I did also say, 'effectively', just to cover my back against the pedants on here...

'I read that as........' and '......effectively ruled out..' ??

You've got a politician's reply from Barber that is nowhere near 'effectively ruling out' a signing - it tells you nothing we don't already know. FWIW I'm not at all sure we'll bring anyone in either but I am pretty sure we are trying.

Just staggered anyone would think the CEO would give away even a hint of inside information about what deals the club are trying to secure in reply to an email.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
I mis-copied the email, hold my hands up to that. First paragraph was missed, and I am aware that this has been previously mentioned in interviews on the radio. I haven't been convinced we will sign a striker, simply because we have 4 good quality strikers at the club who are more than capable of scoring goals and getting us to the prem. I'm optimistic in the strikers we already possess, and feel it would be foolish to spend money in this window, loanees I am happy with (but even less chance of that happening...). Enjoy your field day...

Thank you for your email - and kind words.

As we have said on several occasions recently, if we can find the right player at the right price in this transfer window, we will further strengthen our squad.

Unfortunately, however, strikers are not in plentiful supply - and particularly not in the January transfer window when there are many teams competing for similar targets.

Thankfully, we already have 4 strikers - 1 of whom has been injured for several months but will be available very soon - and a number of other attacking options.

We have 4 centre backs, all of whom should also be fit and available for selection within the next few weeks to a month. In the meantime, we also have Liam Ridgewell on loan as additional cover.

Kind regards, Paul
[/I]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Hopefully Wilson will be fully recovered from his recent illness by the next game.

The club will probably know how much chance he will likely be recalled at some stage or not, and if his loan agreement means he will have to play a certain amount of games or not if fit.

With that in mind and the other 3 strikers available soon as well, will probably decide if its worth bringing an expensive new striker or not.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gut feeling tells me that if we get another striker in it will be with somebody either Baldock or Hemed going in part ex the other way.

Wishful thinking. I think we are stuck with Baldock.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I mis-copied the email, hold my hands up to that. First paragraph was missed, and I am aware that this has been previously mentioned in interviews on the radio. I haven't been convinced we will sign a striker, simply because we have 4 good quality strikers at the club who are more than capable of scoring goals and getting us to the prem. I'm optimistic in the strikers we already possess, and feel it would be foolish to spend money in this window, loanees I am happy with (but even less chance of that happening...). Enjoy your field day...

As we have said on several occasions recently, if we can find the right player at the right price in this transfer window, we will further strengthen our squad.

Unfortunately, however, strikers are not in plentiful supply - and particularly not in the January transfer window when there are many teams competing for similar targets.

Thankfully, we already have 4 strikers - 1 of whom has been injured for several months but will be available very soon - and a number of other attacking options.

We have 4 centre backs, all of whom should also be fit and available for selection within the next few weeks to a month. In the meantime, we also have Liam Ridgewell on loan as additional cover.

Kind regards, Paul
[/I]

It seems fair enough. That does not mean I agree. It really depends how fit our players will be for the final run in and play-offs.

I think our rivals are being extravagent with their signings.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Ok he isn't scoring enough goals, but I like Baldock.

My gut feeling is we will get a striker on loan now and it won't be crouch.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Kind regards, Paul
[/I]

The bold bit above is probably an even greater mistake on your part than thinking Barber would give you inside info on transfer dealings in an email :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here