Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton a post-Paris terror target?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure if this has made it to NSC yet...

A TERRORIST plot to attack Britain was foiled after the RAF heard commercial pilots discussing targets on their radios.

The jihadist attacks were being planned in the week after the Paris massacre, but the two foreign pilots, one of whom was flying for an airline on an intelligence service watchlist, were intercepted talking about the plot.

Although they used coded messages from the cockpits of their passenger jets, the Arabic transcripts were passed to GCHQ where spies established they were talking about attacks on London, Bath, Brighton and Ipswich.

More: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/63...terror-plot-four-British-cities-pop-song-code

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The link tried to re-direct me somewhere else, McAfee stepped in and screamed at me.

I think the time has come to take a possible terrorist incident in Brighton very seriously. In all honesty, I think we should be preparing for it and I think that there should be efforts made by the council to brief us on official advice/suggestions - although it comes down to fight or flight should something actually happen, I think there should be some form of formal, official advice on what to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although they used coded messages from the cockpits of their passenger jets, the Arabic transcripts were passed to GCHQ where spies established they were talking about attacks on London, Bath, Brighton and Ipswich.
I'm not shooting the messenger here - those deciphering the messages aren't spies, they're just GCHQ employees.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Brightonians will be pleased they're getting some recognition at last

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe this explains the revised security at the Amex.

Lots of targets if they followed the Paris style attacks, concerts the Centre or Dome. either cinema complexes, Commuters at Station, Churchill Square and the Amex.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spending Christmas with the inlaws, I was surprised to see armed police in the Meadowhall shopping centre. It doesn't seem right, in this country, to see police walking around with side arms & rifles.

D

Deleted User X18H

It made it to @bhcitynews as did the New Church Road incident.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brightonians will be pleased they're getting some recognition at last

You may be right for the odd individual. I read someone who questioned as to why Ipswich was on the list !

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Commercial pilots talking over the radio to each other [presumably in flight] is as rare as hens teeth as they only ever speak to ATC.
If they were to do this [it is possible], they would know its not a 1 to 1 conversation and their conversations can be listened in to on any UHF radio set tuned to the same frequency.
Commercial aircraft don't scramble transmissions like the military do.
Which would mean that they would know that their conversation would very unlikely to be a secret.
If this were genuine, both would be in the hands of counter-terrorism officers now.
Language translations doesn't need GCHQ operators any old linguist can do it.
Since the international standard for air traffic communication is English, any other language would spark attention too.

This story is a total pile of poo [is it April 1st already or have I just been hooked?]

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Probably thinking "Where can we go and kill people in the name of the religion of peace but be welcomed with open arms by a City full of liberal lefty hand wringers and students who think its "Right On" to allow anyone and everyone from anywhere into the Country and expect the tax payer to foot the bill". And anyone who dare speak their mind and disagree with this ideology is now branded "Raaacist"!!! And their supreme leader (Corbyn) even thinks terrorists are victims of nasty oppression and are freedom fighters!
Can see exactly why they thought of Brighton!!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not sure if this has made it to NSC yet...

A TERRORIST plot to attack Britain was foiled after the RAF heard commercial pilots discussing targets on their radios.

The jihadist attacks were being planned in the week after the Paris massacre, but the two foreign pilots, one of whom was flying for an airline on an intelligence service watchlist, were intercepted talking about the plot.

More: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/63...terror-plot-four-British-cities-pop-song-code

What hell is 'pop-song-code' ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here