Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Alfred Development - Rob Starr, Crest Nicholson, No 50m Pool

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Are there any plans for Zotofoam and remedial baths?

005.jpg

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Could've had an interesting iconic Frank Gehry design that really would've put B&H on the map, but thanks to NIMBY morons like Save Hove and the Regency nazis, it never got built. Instead we'll get uninspiring builds like this. It's better than leaving it as the mess it is now though, granted.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Could've had an interesting iconic Frank Gehry design that really would've put B&H on the map, but thanks to NIMBY morons like Save Hove and the Regency nazis, it never got built. Instead we'll get uninspiring builds like this. It's better than leaving it as the mess it is now though, granted.

Absolutely agree. What a bland and boring piece of crap this design is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

very well put.

Save Hove.....my arse are they saving Hove.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The Karis development did not go ahead as they could not get new financiers after ING pulled out. The planning had been given for around 600 Eastern European commie flats without balconies with two towers in the middle built by the now McDonalds of architecture Frank Gehry.. The planning eventually expired.
I prefer the new design and the addition of balconies by the sea was a necessity, Karis. If only the council and Tory boy Robert Nemeth had had the guts to insist on a 50 metre pool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Uninspiring and in a prominent seafront position. How many other cities have passed over Frank Gehry for something so bland? I bet I can count these cities on the hands of a twice convicted Saudi shoplifter.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Why can British architects only design boxes. Where are all the curves and other one of features this sea site deserves. Probably just as I expected the result would be.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why can British architects only design boxes. Where are all the curves and other one of features this sea site deserves. Probably just as I expected the result would be.

Pretty sure Foster and Hadid would disagree about British architects just designing boxes. That said you are quite right to be disdainful of this painfully dull piece of work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Karis development did not go ahead as they could not get new financiers after ING pulled out. The planning had been given for around 600 Eastern European commie flats without balconies with two towers in the middle built by the now McDonalds of architecture Frank Gehry.. The planning eventually expired.
I prefer the new design and the addition of balconies by the sea was a necessity, Karis. If only the council and Tory boy Robert Nemeth had had the guts to insist on a 50 metre pool.

No. You are only telling part of the story. Karis sought alternative financing and asked for an extension to the planning timeline to facilitate this. But the newly elected Tory council, who were against the original plan, rejected it. Karis were never given the chance to finalise alternative funding from a spiteful Tory party playing party politics with our city. 5 years of planning ended abruptly and for good on that day. The council should have been ashamed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You're wrong, British architects are some of best in the world and design all sorts.

I'm guessing this new proposal is a crappy design and build project which is why it's so shite and unimaginative.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This can't go ahead.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Came here to say exactly this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the application is submitted at the end of this year they would be lucky if they were able to drive the first bulldozer in by Summer 2018.

I'll be driving my bulldozer in shortly after if it gets the go-ahead.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
You're wrong, British architects are some of best in the world and design all sorts.

I'm guessing this new proposal is a crappy design and build project which is why it's so shite and unimaginative.

OK I was being flippant but point me to a decent piece of modern architecture in Brighton. All I see is cheap and cheerful. One of the best American Express has to be demolished.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
OK I was being flippant but point me to a decent piece of modern architecture in Brighton. All I see is cheap and cheerful. One of the best American Express has to be demolished.

OK the Amex Stadium I will grant is an exception.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here