Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sussex dialect

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
As I have lived away from Brighton for a long time now, I can say there is definitely a Brighton/ Sussex accent. I can hear it when up here on the local news, someone is being interviewed from down there.
That's mockney, not Sussex.

I only ever heard one person with a genuine accent when I played cricket against some team in the deepest darkest Weald (forget exactly where). He thrashed our bowling all over the ground.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I was chatting to someone about dialects a little while ago. They told me that apparently Sussex dialect is influenced by French due to our proximity to the coast and because fishing communities on either side of the channel would come into contact. Supposedly Sussex dialect has a feminine tense to it, and there’s an old saying that goes, “Everything in Sussex is a she, except for a tomcat…and even he’s a she”.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
My Dad still has a bit of an accent and his brother and family have a very thick one. Dad is from Little Bognor and my Uncle was the manager of Little Bognor apple orchards, until Brian Ferry brought it. He has always lived in Fittleworth and I think he played bowls for Sussex years ago but not sure. My Mum's from Petworth and my Nan had a thick accent. My Mum's Brother was killed when the German's bombed the school in Petworth. We visited the memorial for this in which looked like an abandoned graveyard, where all the kids and 2 teachers are buried. Not many left to remember now, but my Mum does, and so do we. We will make sure our kids remember too.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was chatting to someone about dialects a little while ago. They told me that apparently Sussex dialect is influenced by French due to our proximity to the coast and because fishing communities on either side of the channel would come into contact. Supposedly Sussex dialect has a feminine tense to it, and there’s an old saying that goes, “Everything in Sussex is a she, except for a tomcat…and even he’s a she”.

I've heard about the 'she' reference but also I've read about us Sussex folk referring to any and everyone as 'old' - e.g. I bumped into ol' John the other day. I notice that it's something I do a lot, as do a lot of my Sussex born and bred friends and family.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's mockney, not Sussex.

I only ever heard one person with a genuine accent when I played cricket against some team in the deepest darkest Weald (forget exactly where). He thrashed our bowling all over the ground.

I disagree. There is definitely a Brighton accent that's well-established for over a century. The proof is in listening to old Max Miller recordings from the mid-20th Century, well before Mockney was ever a 'thing'. Miller was born and bred Brighton, lived here all his life and the way he spoke, I still hear all the the time in Brighton and Worthing. I can't put my finger on it but there's a softness to his voice that Mockneys don't have and there's certain ways he says words that are definitely not said the same way in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm61yavCp-o

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Where i live some of the older folks still have a rural burr and pronounce Seaford c-FORD, not seafud.
Bighton accent is definitely different to a London accent , similar but softer than the south london influenced accent you get in Crawley. I reckon if you gave me a recording of someone who grew up in Whitehawk and someone who grew up in Broadfield i'd be able to tell which was which

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I disagree. There is definitely a Brighton accent that's well-established for over a century. The proof is in listening to old Max Miller recordings from the mid-20th Century, well before Mockney was ever a 'thing'. Miller was born and bred Brighton, lived here all his life and the way he spoke, I still hear all the the time in Brighton and Worthing. I can't put my finger on it but there's a softness to his voice that Mockneys don't have and there's certain ways he says words that are definitely not said the same way in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm61yavCp-o

Yep, now you mention him think I do talk with a similar form of his accent. Problem is it does sound a bit "common", or so my kids tell me.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Ah! the Coppers of Rottingdean....That takes me back to nights in Brighton folk clubs in the '70's....

My old uncle. long departed this world lived in a cottage near the Balcome viaduct. He had a real "Country accent" as we called it. It was not West Country, not Norfolk, but different.

As a young man in 60's -70's my friends from rural mid sussex had it too. But I have not heard it for years...

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It was good to see Goldson step out of defence and play some quality caterwise balls.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I remember going into the Trevor Arms in Glynde in the 80's. I was with a friend from Cheshire who had no clue what the locals were saying to him. He looked at me for an interpretation….I had no ****ing idea! Less then 20 miles from where I was born they may have been from Mars. It was a slightly creepy feeling like I'd stumbled into some weird rural badger rodgering cult. We drank our pints and stayed!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember going into the Trevor Arms in Glynde in the 80's. I was with a friend from Cheshire who had no clue what the locals were saying to him. He looked at me for an interpretation….I had no ****ing idea! Less then 20 miles from where I was born they may have been from Mars. It was a slightly creepy feeling like I'd stumbled into some weird rural badger rodgering cult. We drank our pints and stayed!

Class pub. Many a visit over 30 years. There are some generations in that village. It's one place you may still hear the accent.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Where i live some of the older folks still have a rural burr and pronounce Seaford c-FORD, not seafud.
Bighton accent is definitely different to a London accent , similar but softer than the south london influenced accent you get in Crawley. I reckon if you gave me a recording of someone who grew up in Whitehawk and someone who grew up in Broadfield i'd be able to tell which was which
Seaford does have an R in it as does Ford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here