Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock - sick note

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Surely those that think otherwise aren't claiming the much higher win percentage with SB in the team is pure coincidence? He does so much running for the team which doesn't appear to have much impact on the surface but as the games wear on, players tire of this and make mistakes. Mistakes which he has caused them to make with his work ethic.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Surely those that think otherwise aren't claiming the much higher win percentage with SB in the team is pure coincidence? He does so much running for the team which doesn't appear to have much impact on the surface but as the games wear on, players tire of this and make mistakes. Mistakes which he has caused them to make with his work ethic.

A good example of a similar player in the premier league is Okazaki, he doesn't score many goals, but his continuous pressure and running yesterday against swansea created a lot of space for Leicester to play in and he has done this for months, which is why Ranieri starts him every game. Of course if he played for us he would be branded 'shit' for not scoring enough goals.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Where are all the haters now who slatted him in the season? Eating humble pie i guess as they know very little it seems.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Where are all the haters now who slatted him in the season? Eating humble pie i guess as they know very little it seems.

Here they all are:

sam baldock is a crock thats all.

There is no point continuing to talk about Baldock, he's not going to be here next season if we can find some mugs to buy him. He isn't good enough for where we want to go. I wouldn't mind not seeing him again in a Brighton shirt if it means we've signed someone who might, from time to time, score a goal.

Get the same sinking feeling about Baldock and Hemed this season as I did about Baldock/CMS/O'Grady/Best last season. They're the makeweights you can't easily shift on to some other mug club, so they just sit there festering on the club's books until well past their sell by date while we flog the decent strikers onwards and upwards for a quick buck. Same as it ever was.

Wikipedia state Sam Baldock as a " Striker. Current club Bhafc 4 goals in 26 appearances. That is the only analysis you need

Crock of shit yep !!

perhaps he play in the running off the ball, working hard and creating space position while our defenders score the goals.I just don't see what he does for the team, gives up easily, always second to the ball, looks disinterested. I'm sure he doesn't want to be here.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Nail on the head.

56678354.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A good example of a similar player in the premier league is Okazaki, he doesn't score many goals, but his continuous pressure and running yesterday against swansea created a lot of space for Leicester to play in and he has done this for months, which is why Ranieri starts him every game. Of course if he played for us he would be branded 'shit' for not scoring enough goals.

It's called the Heskey effect or for a more Albion related analogy, would Wardy have scored so many without Spider ?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Two idiots for the season prize of oooo look at me posts !!
Bellends

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Here they all are:

Hip hip hooray, he's able to JUST ABOUT sort his feet out a yard out to scuff one home past an already relegated team. Everyone is wrong about him being impotent in front of goal and offering nothing that no other half-reasonable striker would offer. We should continue to accept his poor output because he's lucky enough that the team performs well DESPITE him.

:albion:

How many goals would Nicky Forster have scored in this team? There was a proper striker.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Hip hip hooray, he's able to JUST ABOUT sort his feet out a yard out to scuff one home past an already relegated team. Everyone is wrong about him being impotent in front of goal and offering nothing that no other half-reasonable striker would offer. We should continue to accept his poor output because he's lucky enough that the team performs well DESPITE him.

How many goals would Nicky Forster have scored in this team? There was a proper striker.

Making yourself look a bit of a thicko, tbh.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Correlation doesn't prove causation. Baldock missed the period where most of our best players were injured. When he plays we also have our other strong players in the team - not to mention the fact he missed that period of draw and losses and only returned once Knockaet and Rosenior were playing.

Fair point that there is a large element of coincidence and I would agree that he is far from THE difference but surely the stat means at the very least the brickbats hurled at him on this thread are out of order.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Given this guy knows his onions as his match reports show, and I happen to know he has spent 3 quarters of Baldock's time here really not rating him that highly, I'd say you're best off listening to him. Baldock is winning over his doubters.

Nobody is suggesting he couldn't be a better finisher, but he brings so much to this team.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Not at all, it's a game of opinions.

Well CH must think he is OK because he keeps picking him.

It's a shame Wilson picked up that knock against QPR, otherwise he might well have kept his place in the team.

Given this guy knows his onions as his match reports show, and I happen to know he has spent 3 quarters of Baldock's time here really not rating him that highly, I'd say you're best off listening to him. Baldock is winning over his doubters.

Nobody is suggesting he couldn't be a better finisher, but he brings so much to this team.

That's a fair opinion, but Baldock won't win me over by barely taking a very straight forward chance and then spurning many others. In this team, I honestly believe that I would have scored more goals than he has. And his goal record, for a £2million striker, is laughable. His contribution to the team is minimal, despite his running around, and I honestly don't think he offers anything that a Simon Cox, Dexter Blackstock, Matt Derybshire or even Dean Bowditch wouldn't have offered. He is a bottom end Championship player all round, and he is very fortunate to be playing so regularly in such a strong team. I don't expect people to agree, whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Given that Albion has scored more goals in total than any other team in the championship this season, I'm pretty happy with the overall approach to signing, team selection and tactics. Indeed the fact that we are not over-reliant on one or two key strikers to bang in the goals, with all the risks that entails if one or both of them gets injured, has been a major contribution to the team's overall resilience this season. I think, therefore, that the emphasis on Baldock's goal total misses the point not least because, as a few other posters have pointed out on here, when he's played he's contributed a fair amount to overall performance.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Not at all, it's a game of opinions.

It's a shame Wilson picked up that knock against QPR, otherwise he might well have kept his place in the team.

That's a fair opinion, but Baldock won't win me over by barely taking a very straight forward chance and then spurning many others. In this team, I honestly believe that I would have scored more goals than he has. And his goal record, for a £2million striker, is laughable. His contribution to the team is minimal, despite his running around, and I honestly don't think he offers anything that a Simon Cox, Dexter Blackstock, Matt Derybshire or even Dean Bowditch wouldn't have offered. He is a bottom end Championship player all round, and he is very fortunate to be playing so regularly in such a strong team. I don't expect people to agree, whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

I agree entirely with the view that Baldock's finishing is not as good as you'd expect - more specifically, it's his composure in front of goal - he's wont to snatch at a chance. Despite that, because the rest of his game is SO strong, the TEAM is undeniably more effective when he plays. To continue to deny that isn't about opinions, for me - its just stubbornly refusing to admit a mistake.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree entirely with the view that Baldock's finishing is not as good as you'd expect - more specifically, it's his composure in front of goal - he's wont to snatch at a chance. Despite that, because the rest of his game is SO strong, the TEAM is undeniably more effective when he plays. To continue to deny that isn't about opinions, for me - its just stubbornly refusing to admit a mistake.

No, it's no mistake. He's a poor player who is benefitting massively from playing in a strong team. He was awful last season in a poor team, and he's been by and large awful in a very strong one. I'm just as stubbornly putting my view forward as are the people who are defending his work rate and what he offers which isn't tangible - which is fine, but it's a load of rubbish.

Again, for context, what's ironic is that I was on the other side of this argument with CMS - despite his goals I always liked him, and always supported him on here. Baldock, however, has done nothing - full stop. It's a mute point anyway, he won't be here next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here