Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock - sick note

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Off this transfer window to balance the FFP books, I think.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, in my opinion, as he makes as good a contribution as any other player in the team when he plays. He will invariably add a few goals, given the opportunity I.e. 'Coming good'.
Seeing as we were unbeaten and playing well when he got injuted, I don't understand what your problem is. Surely if the team are winning, it doesn't matter who is scoring.

Very few players were scoring, including our main striker, our expensive #9 who has only genuinely scored 1 goal this season, even in a team unbeaten for such a long time. The team were being held back by the lack of quality in attack and he was the main reason for it, Hemed was weighing in with game changing goals but Baldock was just running down blind alleys. It's ok though, every now and again he'd control a long ball beautifully with one touch - before invariably giving it away either with a scuffed shot which wouldn't even bend a daisy or misplacing a pass to break down a move.

He's really not very good and that's why Bristol City were relegated with him in attack, West Ham bought him but didn't think he was good enough to play and why he has only scored a pathetic handful of goals for us over a year and a half, despite being first choice when fit. He can't come good, because this is the best he can do.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Very few players were scoring, including our main striker, our expensive #9 who has only genuinely scored 1 goal this season, even in a team unbeaten for such a long time. The team were being held back by the lack of quality in attack and he was the main reason for it, Hemed was weighing in with game changing goals but Baldock was just running down blind alleys. It's ok though, every now and again he'd control a long ball beautifully with one touch - before invariably giving it away either with a scuffed shot which wouldn't even bend a daisy or misplacing a pass to break down a move.

He's really not very good and that's why Bristol City were relegated with him in attack, West Ham bought him but didn't think he was good enough to play and why he has only scored a pathetic handful of goals for us over a year and a half, despite being first choice when fit. He can't come good, because this is the best he can do.

Well you mentioned opinions so I'm happy that you have yours and I have mine but it seems you are irrationally sticking to yours and unlikely to give him any benefit even when he starts hitting the net. So I'm off as it seems I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well you mentioned opinions so I'm happy that you have yours and I have mine but it seems you are irrationally sticking to yours and unlikely to give him any benefit even when he starts hitting the net. So I'm off as it seems I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

When? Significantly sized IF, is closer. :thumbsup:

He was a bad signing in a time when bad signings were our standard, it hasn't worked out and I wish him success at whatever League 1 club buys him - but I won't remember him fondly, just as a total waste of money. File him in the Will Hoskins folder for "never good enough".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wikipedia state Sam Baldock as a " Striker. Current club Bhafc 4 goals in 26 appearances. That is the only analysis you need

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When? Significantly sized IF, is closer. :thumbsup:

He was a bad signing in a time when bad signings were our standard, it hasn't worked out and I wish him success at whatever League 1 club buys him - but I won't remember him fondly, just as a total waste of money. File him in the Will Hoskins folder for "never good enough".

I reckon Will Hoskins was the one 'bad' signing who looked to be just starting to look the part when he got a sickener of a long term injury.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I reckon Will Hoskins was the one 'bad' signing who looked to be just starting to look the part when he got a sickener of a long term injury.

He was never going to score goals at this level. It was a good goal away at Cardiff, when the game was won - and after that he was built up and built up to something he never was, and would never have been half the player some people thought he would be.

When you think about it, we've really signed some poor strikers in the Amex era. Leo Ulloa aside, have ALL of our strikers signings been poor?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Good player, will come good if given the chance. Maybe the detractors can watch his overall contribution next time he plays, rather than worrying about how many he's scored.

You mean formulate an objective opinion of a player based on his entire performance!?

Surely you jest! Madness leads that way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

It really isn't that simple and I'm not in any way suggesting that's how it happened... but Hoskins and CMS almost felt like they were signed on the strength of one game clinching the deal.

Hoskins - away at Bristol Rovers. Fantastic 30yrd strike down their end, then a wonderful mazey run in the 2nd half beating at least 3 of our players before slotting it home in front of our end. Superb performance from him in their 4-2 defeat I think it was.

CMS - The "We're ficking brilliant!" game at London Rd. We really were, they were getting hammered and yet despite that and losing Boyd & McClean early on CMS never once gave up and ran his socks off that day. Earnt himself a huge amount of respect from our travelling fans for that performance.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Get the same sinking feeling about Baldock and Hemed this season as I did about Baldock/CMS/O'Grady/Best last season. They're the makeweights you can't easily shift on to some other mug club, so they just sit there festering on the club's books until well past their sell by date while we flog the decent strikers onwards and upwards for a quick buck. Same as it ever was.
This

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He formed a genuine Premier League level partnership with Ashley Barnes. Obviously that meant they both had to be shipped out for a fast buck pronto to make way for cheapo replacements. Same as it ever was.

Ashley Barnes was shipped out 2 and a half years later.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And your point is?

Why was nobody at the club smart enough to properly evaluate the value of the Murray-Barnes partnership?

Sigh - yet again - they were offered contracts but both of them got more elsewhere. Both of them refused to accept what was on offer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And how short-sighted was that by the club?

You can't force a player to renew his contract. Barnes said at the time he felt he wasn't wanted, not helped by a section of fans who groaned when he stepped up to take a penalty.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And your point is?

Why was nobody at the club smart enough to properly evaluate the value of the proven goal scoring Murray-Barnes partnership?

Murray didn't clap the fans at Brentford so had to go for disrespecting a carpet fitter and his son from Bevendean.

The fact that's he's scored goals against United, Liverpool and Chelsea since leaving is just luck.

Barnes had fans BOOING his name before the kickoff so had to go too.

He was lucky to play in the Premier League too. There were many who said he was Sunday League.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You can't force a player to renew his contract. Barnes said at the time he felt he wasn't wanted, not helped by a section of fans who groaned when he stepped up to take a penalty.

Barnes only wasn't wanted by the JCL muppets at the Amex. Hoped he would have been bigger than that. The WITHDEAN FIVE THOUSAND loved Ashley Barnes :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here